Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2010 G.T. Swap canidate

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Blackhorse10 
#1 ·
Alright guys let me start off with saying I am an American made fan. I have a Ford Mustang Chevrolet Malibu and a Dodge Challenger sitting in my driveway right now. I love them all and treat them all as equals. I am telling you all this right off the bat to try and weed out all the nay sayers and the negative comments.

Here is what I got going on. I have part ownership in a junk yard with a buddy of mine and we just got a very interesting car in which I immediately claimed ownership of!! It is a relatively low mile 2001 Camaro Z28 with a LS6 and a Tremec 6 speed. (Somebody put some time and money into the car)

For my car, it is a 2010 Mustang gt premium with a lot of suspension and chassis work. Pushing around 425hp last it was dynod. It is a track car and is seldomly driven on the street.

I have searched around the internet and can’t find much info on throwing an ls into the s197 platform. I am looking for ANY info I can find on the subject.

PLEASE REMEBER THIS IS MY CAR NOT YOURS. I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS MAY BE SACRELIGIOUS TO SOME. BUT RIGHT NOW IT MAKES SINCE FOR ME AND IS INLINE WITH WHAT I WANT THE CAR TO DO IN THE FUTURE.

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, that article gives you a general overview of what is required to LS swap a Mustang. I'm not sure that there is a step by step guide for doing such a swap.
Since you have a complete donor car that I assume is running, it should be a simple matter of transferring everything that makes the engine run in the Camaro; over to the Mustang. Along with fabricating a few custom parts, of course.
You are just going to have to dig in and get your hands dirty if you want an LS powered Mustang.

So what exactly are your future goals for this car?

#5 ·
Right, I understand what’s required to do an ls swap. I have done it in the past with a Nissan 240. And had great results with the engine. Very easy to build power. I’m looking more along the lines of putting one in this particular platform. The do’s and donts and what does and doesn’t work. Trying to get as much info as possible before doing anything. I’m Not seeing much on the web other than people talking about it and at this point that’s what I’m doing. The donor car does run and as far as I know the trans in usable. It can’t move due to the accident. As for the goals it’s going from a auto cross car to a drag car. it will eventually become a whole new animal as long as everything works out with the new transplant.

#6 ·
AJE makes a K member for LSx engines into an S197.

2005-2014 Mustang Universal Engine Mount K-Member | AJE Suspensions

Not much else is out there that I can find. The S197 platform has decent engine options for a Ford in a LONG time. So most people simply don't mess with LSx swapping.

The wiring could be a nightmare if you plan on trying to retain as much OE Ford stuff as possible.

It sounds like your current Mustang is well sorted out, why mess with it? No need to go into the advantages of the LSx vs Modular, I am well aware of them as a long time LSx owner. I just don't see this being feasible.

My opinion, if you aren't liking the current setup on your Mustang, sell it and buy a cheap C5, pull out the LS1, drop in the LS6, then sell LS1 engine, and part out the Fbody. You would have a MUCH better platform for well ... everything and likely have some extra money left over.

#7 ·
I appreciate your response ISH416. Your right my car is pretty good the way it is. But I’m sure you understand what I mean when I say good enough is never good enough. I sat the motor and tranny in the garage next to my mustang this evening and really thought it over and I just can’t bring myself to even Pull the motor and see how it even looks. I love the car the way it is so I got on Craigslist and found a decent 2000 S10 that I’m going to look at tomorrow. If that doesn’t work out I’ll find something else. So relax everyone I’m not going to be another Ford makes it Chevy shakes it kind of guy. But it was a viable option for 4 days.

Thanks for the help in my moment of insanity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.