Rear End Noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:05 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Rear End Noise

Had it in the shop for a clutch pack problem in the rear end producing a low freq howl in corners at full operating temperature. After the packs were replaced the howl was replaced with a rubbing sound at low and high speeds. Tech was able to hear the noise easily enough and proceeded to work on the problem. I was contacted that my car had some parts replaced but that it didnt fix the problem completely so they decided to order every part and completely rebuild the rear end. After they rebuilt it I picked it up and I am hearing the rubbing again but this time it is less noticeable and only from 25-30 mph and up. I returned the car to the dealership where I had it serviced and 2 different techs and the manager is now trying to tell me that they aren't hearing anything but road/tire noise or wind noise from where the vert top and the rear quarter window joins. I have driven this thing for 2 years and know what wind and tire noise is compared to what I'm hearing. I have printed out a couple of TSBs in PDF form. One for the packs and one for an axle whine that showed up in the 05 model (if I'm remembering correctly paperwork not in front of me atm). I currently have been given the car back and the ticket left open and the dealership said they were going to call in a Ford Engineer to come and investigate it further but that the engineer only comes once a month and they didnt give me an ETA on his arrival. At this point all the work being done is under warranty and any useful input anyone might have for me to bring up to the techs/engineer would be greatly appreciated. One other question... Since they have "completely" rebuilt the rear end (minus the housing I believe) would it be unreasonable for me to request a new completely assembled rear end from Ford to be shipped in and installed if they cannot remedy the noise that I am hearing?
Brent W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Rear End Noise

if its a whine on a new rebuilt rear its most definatly an issue with installation, they need to set many things up correctly in the rear.

Ask them if they checked the gear wear pattern, the back lash, the crush sleeve/tension on pinion shaft, and such... if they didnt or scratch their heads they dont know what they are doing.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #3

Region: Texas

Well I can do that and will do that although I cant think of an outcome that is going to be beneficial since they can just lie to me and tell me that they did since they are the resident expert (dealership) and all I have is a list of parts that they changed out and not a step by step account of their installation procedures.

What about my question as to weather or not its an unreasonable request to have a brand new completely assembled rear end shipped in and swapped out if they cannot remedy the noise?

At this point I feel like they will prescribe me psychotropic drugs in order to stop the noise in my head vs the noise in the rear end. Cause thats pretty much what they are saying.... Its all in my head.
Brent W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

it never hurts to try.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

back in 99-00 the 3.8l had issues with gear whine due to poor installation the fix was a new 8.8 rear end from ford as it was cheaper than paying labor and working on yours so they might... either way dont let them bs you its NOT right
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT