Whipple or KB? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to braumab Send a message via MSN to braumab
Whipple or KB?

I'm pretty sold on Whipple, though I can't find a dang price ... I'm starting to hear a lot about KB as well. Can you guys help on some insight?

05 Stang to the Bang! X-Pipe, Headers, Stage 2 Roush Kit, Tuner, JBA Exhaust and about a million and 4 Horsepower.
braumab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Whipple or KB?

What size whipple are you looking for? I like the whipple due to it not looking like a shoe box sitting on top of the motor. KB's customer service is garbage for the most part as well. You can only buy a KB directly from KB or from a certified KB shop...where they are required to install it. KB is weird that way.

Here are your prices for a 2.3L whipple:

Intercooled Kits:
Complete Kits : Lethal Performance

Non-INtercooled Kits:
Non-Intercooled : Lethal Performance

PM Atomic Performance though, I know he has whipples as well as I am looking at a 2.3L for mine from them, so his prices may be better or the same...and offers free shipping. It's not on his website for your car, but I know he doesn't have everything available on his site. I just order shocks that aren't on the site...so shoot him a PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

dude, awesome info. Is intercooled better than non-intercooled? i'm guessing it's just a preference?

05 Stang to the Bang! X-Pipe, Headers, Stage 2 Roush Kit, Tuner, JBA Exhaust and about a million and 4 Horsepower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Intercooled is a ton better than non. Intercooled lets you run more boost if you want...or run much cooler intake temps if you stay with low boost. It is definitely worth extra power even at lower boost levels just from the intake temp differences. Then, there is a killer chiller kit I'll have ot see if it is available for your car...it ties into the AC system and runs your intercooler fluid over a radiator with freon in it cooling it to about 50* or so...dropping intake temps even more.

So yeah, intercooled is a MUCH better idea than non. Put it this way, the 03/04 cobras, 07+ GT500s, and Ford GT's are all intercooled for a reason.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

intercooled will keep your temps down. I'm looking for a 2.1L KB for my car, but I don't think whipple makes a unit for the 2v 4.6? Maybe i'm just retarded.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

For some strange reason, no, they don't make one. KB pretty much has that market locked up. And dude, just go 2.6L, forget the 2.1.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
For some strange reason, no, they don't make one. KB pretty much has that market locked up. And dude, just go 2.6L, forget the 2.1.
I debated that LONG and hard. The 2.6 means I can't run the Termi hood like I want. It also isn't as complete of a kit. I can get the 2.1 and throw it on the stock motor after I build the rear end, and enjoy it for awhile before having to replace the motor. The 2.6 kit means I pretty much HAVE to get a built motor first, which means less enjoyment.

The 2.1 unit is good up to 750 hp, which is more than enough. I would be happy at 650. At 9 psi it adds 160 hp, at 14 you're looking at 262 hp. I will be more than happy to sit right around 405 rwhp for awhile while I save up for the stroked built MMR motor (safe to like 850 hp?). Throw my stage 2 heads and cams on that, with a nicely set up exhaust system and a built fuel system, and I should have no problem finding enjoyment.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 10-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah! So, with my 4.6L ... the 2.6L Whipple is okay? I read something being able to get it up to 500 horses? that'd be awesome ... but can my motor handle that? I have LCA's and UCA's now. Just to lazy to put em on. And I have the stage 2 roush kit (i think) ... I bought the car used and i'm starting to wonder if it's just the body.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumab View Post
Yeah! So, with my 4.6L ... the 2.6L Whipple is okay? I read something being able to get it up to 500 horses? that'd be awesome ... but can my motor handle that? I have LCA's and UCA's now. Just to lazy to put em on. And I have the stage 2 roush kit (i think) ... I bought the car used and i'm starting to wonder if it's just the body.
stock, I would assume 450-500 hp would be the limit of your motor (not rwhp).

Old 10-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

well, i guess that'll have to do until an upgrade then. 600 rwhp is my end goal.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
well, i guess that'll have to do until an upgrade then. 600 rwhp is my end goal.
I'd hang around the 425-450 range until you build the motor. Then go crazy. My goal is around 650 hp... I'm not SURE if that'll be enough to keep me happy, but it certainly would be a good start.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

good idea. can i just stick a 5.0L and go crazy then? and also, after my engine have now dies, I can stick the whipple on the 5.0L, right?

Old 10-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
good idea. can i just stick a 5.0L and go crazy then? and also, after my engine have now dies, I can stick the whipple on the 5.0L, right?
just get a 4.6 3v that's been stroked to 5.0. You can get them built to handle a TON of hp. Same displacement, but direct swap.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

awesome idea.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
awesome idea.
Shortblocks

that'll do it

Old 10-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

You car can handle 500 to the ground...it is all in the tune. There are several stock bottom end cars here in Baton Rouge running 500+ at the wheels. I believe most are the saleen S/C here, but that doesn't matter. Power is Power.

You will be fine with the 2.3L whipple. Just make sure you get a respected tuner as the life of your motor is directly related to their abilities.

As for shortblocks and what not, if you are going to go short blocks, get one from Boss330 racing. You can't go wrong with them. About 4k I believe for the 302 stroker version....they are available through the same Lethal link I provided for the whipples.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

okay, i think found one. the 800HP is more than enough for me .... so ....

Quote:
MMR 4.6 Street Mod 800 (up to 800HP) 2V, 3V or 4V

"The Aluminator Shortblock Killer"

This MMR shortblock uses stronger parts and handcrafted precision, not assembly line assembly techniques like the Aluminator ford blocks

*Brand New Cast Iron 2004 Cobra Block, torque plate bored and honed

*New 4340 Forged 3.543 stroke Cobra Crankshaft w/micro polished journals at no extra charge

*New 4340 5.933 MMR 800HP H-beam Rods w/ARP rod bolts ( These rods are shotpeened, magnafluxed and weight matched to bring you the finest H-beam rod available for your 4.6)

*New Forged Manley pistons (High or low compression)

*Speed Pro file fit rings (precision file fit to your application, nitrous, blower, turbo or N/A)

* Clevite tri-metal Rod and ACL Performance Main bearings

*Complete Pro Assembly and Balancing for the smoothest, highest revving shortblock available, Pre-Lubricated with Royal Purple Assembly Lube and spin tested. Lastly 3 technicians sign off on your new engine prior to packaging and crating.

Shortblock Options:

NEW Ford Racing BOSS 302 Cast iron Block $1999.99 (increases engine size to 5.0)

Coated Pistons (ceramic dome/teflon skirt) $399.99

Brand New Current production Aluminum Block + $799 (Not recommended for over 950 HP)

Upgrade to MMR block side bolts (recommended for 500+ HP) +$44.99

ARP Mainstuds (recommended for 600+HP) +169.99

MMR Street/Racing Oil Pump (highly recommended) + $179.99

MMR/Felpro Extreme Duty Headgaskets + $169.99

ARP Headstuds +$269.99

MMR windage tray and hardware kit (+15HP) + 129.99

Shown below with optional aluminum block
Are there any other things I would need to purchase?

Old 10-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

What was the grand total for all of that stuff? Boss330 is many levels above MMR...I've heard a number of bad things about MMR motors.

Boss 330 Racing 4.6L 3V Shortblock [BOSS330-3VBLOCK] - $4,650.00

(The above short block includes an ALUMINUM block...not the heat soak prone iron block in your listing).
Old 10-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

nice. It was like, 2k or so. Make sense. Boss 330 it is. I'm just going to start asking you directly, lol.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

um, does it really matter about the bore size? .20 or .30 ... decisions , decisions. Piston Style, Rod Upgrade? I just want 600ish ... well, 650ish!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

With a .020 bore, you end up with a 288ish cubic inches....It will require a different crank like was mentioned in your post to get to 302. However, with a 20 or 30 bore, you can realisitically get to 600ish to the ground with the whipple. With everything forged, and an intercooler setup, you could spin the whipple hard enough to get 600 at the ground even with the stock bore.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

but going through the trouble of getting a different crank is worth it, right?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #23
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

It will add some low end torque....In my mind, I say no, not really worth it when you can get there without it.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

so then, just go with the standard bore size?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #25
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I would because then if you need to clean it up later, you still have enough wall to do a 20 or 30 over clean up bore....
Old 10-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

yeah ... so ... i'm learning. Now, why would I need to clean it up? does the .20 or .30 just allow for more torque?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #27
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Say you are running one day, and all of a sudden you develope blow by in a cylinder. Say a compression test comes back and says you are way low in one cyninder. Being stock bore allows you to get the motor bored out to 20 or 30 over to clean up the cylinder walls.

Over time, friction will wear groves into your cylinders. Lots of hard driving can help speed that process along. Now, I'm not talking about 10-20k miles here...I mean over the life of the motor...100+k and such.

Now, leaving it stock for now, you can go back in and get everything cleaned up, replace the pistons with 20 or 30 over pistons, and be all set and basically have a brand new motor.

If you are already 20 or 30 over, you are pretty much maxed so if something goes wrong and you do develop wear in one or more cylinders, you will need to replace the block and pistons instead of just the pistons.

As for why more torque, it goes back to "There is no replacement for displacement"....the more displacement you have, the more torque you will make. Yes, you will also gain HP...
Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #28
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Personally, I say go this route: 460ford.com :: View topic - Kaase-9 Boss mustang started today, 4/11/08, with pix, #5

Old 10-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

....lol!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #30
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^^^ for the record, it is a 588 ci all aluminum....as you will see going through the thread, 800+ foot pounds of torque...and approaching the 1000 HP....all on a mere 10.5:1 compression = street gas compatible.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

thats about the specs on my car. I have about, 4,000 HP on it though.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

Damn, Braumab, you going with new block and supercharger at the same time? That is a huge expense and total chance to driving experience
Old 10-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

no, lol. i'm sticking the whipple on my engine now ... over the next yr or so, i'll get the engine.

*side note* are you serious 05RedDevil? It reallty took you 30 posts to reply? ... slacker ...

Old 10-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

I had to take my girl for a 3 day trip to Salem for pre-Halloween festivities and internet access wasn't my number one priority.
What kind of boost do you think you wil start with? Remember, high power will require fuel pump and clutch upgrades . . .
Old 10-30-2008, 03:20 AM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

yep, as my partner in crime always says, go big or go home lol.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT