Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Need info about exhaust setup

Tags
exhaust
3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Brent 
#1 ·
Ok so i have an 05 GT that right now only has a K&N drop in, and a superchips 91 octane tune. I am about to put an air raid intake (compatible with the tune so no worries there) and a new exhaust system. My question is if i run shorty headers into hi-flow cats, and glasspacks (or other aftermarket mufflers) will i damage my engine due to reduced backpressure? I know i will not be reaping the full HP benefits without a full dyno tune and that is ok with me, I just need to know if i'll be harming the 4.6
Thanks,
James

#2 ·
No, you'll be fine. However, shorties really are a waste of money unless you have a cracked stock manifold or something. The high flow cats are a good idea, but the shorties aren't worth it in the end.

Also, there is a large gathering of cars this weekend to deliver gifts to a local family with a very sick father. We are trying to get as many cars together as possible...

Click here ----> http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t69802/

#4 ·
Yeah I'm keeping it catted, no i don't care about the trees IMHO the 3v sounds better with them, as for the LT's I'm not ready to put that amount of money, time, or effort into it, maybe in the next couple years or months depending on how power hungry i get.

#5 ·
well you don't want to buy shorties and then down the road buy LTs. just keep the stock manifolds and change the cats for now. on the S197 it's no harder to install LTs as it is to install shorties. so that's not an isuee. If cost is the real problem than MAC makes Ceramic coated LT's for around $500. And if you do a header swap get ceramics it's worth it with the heat reduction under the hood you get

#9 ·
Absolutely...shorties are just stock manifolds made out of pipe instead of cast. They are useless unless you have a busted stocker or are running a turbo setup.

#10 ·
Now that I have a 2008 Bullitt this all interests me, too. Are installing LTs on an '05-'09 as big a PITA as on my 2002 GT?
Jim

Attachments

#14 ·
pullies are well worth the money if you are not going forced induction.If you are planning turbo or s/c you will most likely have to put the stock pullies back on anyway so it would be a waste of money at that point.You could always resale them when/if you go forced induction and recoop some funds that way.I run pullies on every car I have,great hp per dollar.

#16 ·
why do people keep saying shorties do nothing? yeah long tubes will probably do more but ive replaced my manifold with shorties cause one cracked and it feels strong both low and high. are you gonna tell me a 6 benifits more form headers than an 8?

#17 ·
Its not that shorties arent good, they just arent worth it to allot of people due to the fact that longtubes are more beneficial once you start making more power.The stock manifolds ,on the newer cars especially,flow pretty good so your improvements are minimal at best with shorty headers.If you are investing in headers,its worth the price difference to go long tubes over shorties.

#18 ·
The 99-04 V6s have much more of a reason to swap to shorty headers than the newer cars. Mainly, because the 99-04 "manifolds" are absolute crap and are very prone to cracking.

If you're going to do headers and a mid-pipe on a newer GT, you're wasting money if you don't go with long tubes. And no, you won't have any problems with lack of back pressure.

#19 ·
The V6 scene is amazing to me. Can some of you V6 guys post some of your sound clips. I'm either going to give my 2002 GT to my nephew as his first car, or get him a 94-up V6. Did those cars come with 5-speeds?
Jim

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.