overdrive - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
overdrive

Hey heres a question that im sure alot of you like venom, brent, dadant, 1234, hotcobra can awnser.

my car has an overdrive button as we all know. i feel what it does, i see that the car drives in a higher rpm range and the torque convertor seems to generate less stall when its off but could somone explain to me how exactally the overdrive works.
what are the mechanics of it. i like learning this stuff and you guys are like my yoda/obi wan lol
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: overdrive

Well without going into all the working of an auto trans. your car has a 5 speed atuo trans. each gear ratio has it's own clutch pack as it shirts gears the diff. clutch packs ingauge turning the sun gear and planitary gears diff. ways which gives your your diff. gear ratios. 1ft through 3rd gear are underdrive gears 4th is your 1to 1 gear and 5th is your overdrive. 1 to 1 gear is for ever single complete turn of the trans. input shaft the output shaft makes one complete turn. overdrive is when the output shaft makes a complete turn before the input shaft. so when you turn off the overdrive button the the trans. downshifts from 5th to 4th.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Your overdrive button is actually an over ride button. What it does is it prevents the transmission from going into overdrive when you push it. Basically, it takes your 5 speed transmission and locks it out of 5th gear which is your over drive gear.

Your overdrive is solely for cruising to cause the least amount of work for your engine. As such, when you are racing, or trying to pass, or trying to pull something....you don't want your car to be low in the RPM range, you want it higher up where you are making more power.

I see Louis has replied already, so I'll stop here...let me know if between mine and his you still have questions.
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
Well without going into all the working of an auto trans. your car has a 5 speed atuo trans. each gear ratio has it's own clutch pack as it shirts gears the diff. clutch packs ingauge turning the sun gear and planitary gears diff. ways which gives your your diff. gear ratios. 1ft through 3rd gear are underdrive gears 4th is your 1to 1 gear and 5th is your overdrive. 1 to 1 gear is for ever single complete turn of the trans. input shaft the output shaft makes one complete turn. overdrive is when the output shaft makes a complete turn before the input shaft. so when you turn off the overdrive button the the trans. downshifts from 5th to 4th.
ok here is what my dumbass is understanding, basically the 1st and 5th gear are effected by the overdrive being on. and when its off the car downshifts from 5th to 4th? thats why the rpms are so high?
Old 01-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Your overdrive button is actually an over ride button. What it does is it prevents the transmission from going into overdrive when you push it. Basically, it takes your 5 speed transmission and locks it out of 5th gear which is your over drive gear.

Your overdrive is solely for cruising to cause the least amount of work for your engine. As such, when you are racing, or trying to pass, or trying to pull something....you don't want your car to be low in the RPM range, you want it higher up where you are making more power.

I see Louis has replied already, so I'll stop here...let me know if between mine and his you still have questions.

ahhhhhhh ok, thats coupled with hotcobras awsner helps me alot. locks out the 5th gear, that makes sence.
thank you guys both, another thing learned!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

RPM's rise because you are no longer in 5th gear. 1st gear isn't affected by over drive at all.

Basically, 5th gear is a less than 1:1 ratio. This means that for every 1 turn of the transmission, your drive shaft is turning less than 1 full rotation. Therefore, your RPMs stay lower.

When you turn overdrive off by pressing the button, It's jumps from this say .7 ratio gear to a 1.0 ratio gear. Therefore your RPMs jump immediately because your trans is now spinning your drive shaft faster which in turn is spinning your wheels faster.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

FYI dyno your car in drive with the overdrive button off. I've seen shops dyno S197 cars with it in 3rd and wonder why the #s are off

Old 01-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
FYI dyno your car in drive with the overdrive button off. I've seen shops dyno S197 cars with it in 3rd and wonder why the #s are off
you know.......i wonder if when they dynoed it they did that......ill have to ask.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Wow.,...that's just silly. They should have just locked it in forth like they do with the 99+'s with locking them in 3rd.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cheema View Post
you know.......i wonder if when they dynoed it they did that......ill have to ask.
Did your numbers seem really high? If so, then it could have been in 3rd. If they seemed super low, then it could have been in 5th if they weren't pressing the gas real hard.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

you would think the #s would be high but they actually are lower. I know cause the first pull I made with my car I did this.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
RPM's rise because you are no longer in 5th gear. 1st gear isn't affected by over drive at all.

Basically, 5th gear is a less than 1:1 ratio. This means that for every 1 turn of the transmission, your drive shaft is turning less than 1 full rotation. Therefore, your RPMs stay lower.

When you turn overdrive off by pressing the button, It's jumps from this say .7 ratio gear to a 1.0 ratio gear. Therefore your RPMs jump immediately because your trans is now spinning your drive shaft faster which in turn is spinning your wheels faster.
ok see now i have a question about this, if it doesnt really affect anything except 5th gear why is it that the car responds so much quicker with the overdrive off, its like haveing a diff car, even from 1st -3rd. or is it just my imagination??? it drives like a diff car......i know that my supercharger give out more power at higher rpms so i understand that part too.

just an example, today on the way to my speed shop i met a camaro on the road, nicely done. ofcourse we both got sucked into a race. i was ahead of him but not by alot, the next turn after we slowed to 15mph, i turned the overdrive off and put my foot down......i flew away!! litterally i was just gone. why is that?
Old 01-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
you would think the #s would be high but they actually are lower. I know cause the first pull I made with my car I did this.
Hmm....that seems off....but could be right. I mean, I think I've seen manuals dyno in 3rd gear post some rediculously high numbers....I would think it would be for autos as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did your numbers seem really high? If so, then it could have been in 3rd. If they seemed super low, then it could have been in 5th if they weren't pressing the gas real hard.
the number seemed low. my speed shop owner was like confused a little bit. hes like i swear before this custom tune and before the long tube headers, no cats, x pipe you were putting down 320 rwhp and now your putting down about the same?? but we didnt question it too much. this time he didnt do the dyno himself, my mechanic next door who does the custom tuning did it, maybe he didnt know to turn off the over drive!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

your talking apples and oranges with sticks and atuos

Old 01-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
ok see now i have a question about this, if it doesnt really affect anything except 5th gear why is it that the car responds so much quicker with the overdrive off, its like haveing a diff car, even from 1st -3rd. or is it just my imagination??? it drives like a diff car......i know that my supercharger give out more power at higher rpms so i understand that part too.

just an example, today on the way to my speed shop i met a camaro on the road, nicely done. ofcourse we both got sucked into a race. i was ahead of him but not by alot, the next turn after we slowed to 15mph, i turned the overdrive off and put my foot down......i flew away!! litterally i was just gone. why is that?

Typically, in the computer it will also hold out the RPMs between shifts longer...meaning instead of shifting into 3'rd gear at 4500 rpms, it'll wait till 5000. That's why it seems different. The shift points get tweaked because the car doesn't have as many gears anymore so the computer adjusts for it. It's kind of like a poor man's "performance mode".
Old 01-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
your talking apples and oranges with sticks and atuos
Yeah, I know...that's why I said it seems off but could be right as far as I know.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would think it's in your head, but it may change the way the convertor goes into lockup but I dought it

Old 01-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmm....that seems off....but could be right. I mean, I think I've seen manuals dyno in 3rd gear post some rediculously high numbers....I would think it would be for autos as well.
very intresting stuff. man i wish i could work on my car and learn this stuff.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I know...that's why I said it seems off but could be right as far as I know.
the power is low because the convertor won't go into full lockup in 3rd

Old 01-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
very intresting stuff. man i wish i could work on my car and learn this stuff.
it took 8 years of dealership training and working on car at the house with my dad since I was a child to get me here

Old 01-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would think it's in your head, but it may change the way the convertor goes into lockup but I dought it
one of my boys said somthing about the converter too, so maybe that has somthing to do with it. i wish i lived near you guys, id just have you drive it and tell me what you think lol
Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Typically, in the computer it will also hold out the RPMs between shifts longer...meaning instead of shifting into 3'rd gear at 4500 rpms, it'll wait till 5000. That's why it seems different. The shift points get tweaked because the car doesn't have as many gears anymore so the computer adjusts for it. It's kind of like a poor man's "performance mode".
yesss that makes sence i do see that, i do see it shift at higher rpms, i can hear it. if overdrive if off and i floor it, it shifts into 2nd like when its almost redlined.....that makes sence.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #24
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
it took 8 years of dealership training and working on car at the house with my dad since I was a child to get me here
It's taken me a couple years of working on my own stuff without a clue doing things the wrong or hard way to learn the right way to do things....and a lot of pride swallowing questions to people asking for help/advice and a ton of reading online about different issues/mods/etc to get me here.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yesss that makes sence i do see that, i do see it shift at higher rpms, i can hear it. if overdrive if off and i floor it, it shifts into 2nd like when its almost redlined.....that makes sence.
I guess I don't notice that cause my car does this with the tune I have in overdrive. The tune was the first thing I had so I didn't get much seat time stock. I know your car isn't stock but I don't know if you have any tuning done to the trans.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
your lucky....my dad is nothing like me.....he doesnt even like cars...or fighting for that matter and i fought on the circut for like 7 years. he never saw even one match. my teacher had to be the one to tell him in 97 that i was number 2 in the country. i envy you man......your lukcy.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's taken me a couple years of working on my own stuff without a clue doing things the wrong or hard way to learn the right way to do things....and a lot of pride swallowing questions to people asking for help/advice and a ton of reading online about different issues/mods/etc to get me here.
well guys like you make it easy to ask. i dont feel bad asking because you dont make me feel like a dumbass lol i appreciate that. i guess your just passing down you knowledge.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess I don't notice that cause my car does this with the tune I have in overdrive. The tune was the first thing I had so I didn't get much seat time stock. I know your car isn't stock but I don't know if you have any tuning done to the trans.
i dought it man, i think my guys just sent the specs to the sniper comany and they sent back a tune and he just adjusted a few things. i would like it tuned nicely to the point where each gear shift is calibrated. but doesnt that usallly cost big bucks?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I bought my tune from Brenspeed and it was the cost of the handheld only and they did everything. If you datalog your car and send it to brenspeed they can right a new tune for you for like $150. with everything. what handheld are you using?

Old 01-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
well guys like you make it easy to ask. i dont feel bad asking because you dont make me feel like a dumbass lol i appreciate that. i guess your just passing down you knowledge.
I don't know why people don't pass on their knowlage to everyone. I will help anyone who wants it.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #31
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Oh, well, you should hear what we say about you when we all get together have have a few beers.

Quote:
i dought it man, i think my guys just sent the specs to the sniper comany and they sent back a tune and he just adjusted a few things. i would like it tuned nicely to the point where each gear shift is calibrated. but doesnt that usallly cost big bucks?
Not really, I mean a custom dyno tune will only run about $400-500 and as part of that most tuners will also tune the transmission to maximize the power from the tune.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #32
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
I bought my tune from Brenspeed and it was the cost of the handheld only and they did everything. If you datalog your car and send it to brenspeed they can right a new tune for you for like $150. with everything. what handheld are you using?

He's using the Sniper.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=PureVenom;542929]Oh, well, you should hear what we say about you when we all get together have have a few beers.

na we only talk **** about jimmie_beaner and Thomas

Old 01-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #34
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Well, everyone talks about thomas...not even just on this board...we even have it on video if we can find the video from the alabama get together a couple years ago.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh, well, you should hear what we say about you when we all get together have have a few beers.

Not really, I mean a custom dyno tune will only run about $400-500 and as part of that most tuners will also tune the transmission to maximize the power from the tune.
LMAO hahahahhah i can see it now. that ken is such a dumbass lol hahahahah ill have to deff look into that tune when i get more money. right now im breaken the bank somtime next week for the gears, a/f gauge/fuel pump and today i got a new battery. freaken 200 bucks. yah my wife is not happy lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT