Naturally Aspirated - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 AM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Re: Naturally Aspirated

This may help

Supercharger FAQ

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #37

Send a message via Yahoo to rugedraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDant! View Post
sorry bout that.
JBA Off-Road Shorty H-Pipe (05-09 GT)$169.99
JBA Cat4ward Long Tube Headers (05-09 GT)529.99
Borla Stinger S-Type Catback (2005+ GT)816.98
SCT SF3 PowerFlash Tuner and 3.73 Gear Kit$539.99
JLT Performance Cold Air Intake (2005+ Mustang GT)$209.99
BBK Twin 62mm Throttle Body (2005+ GT)$299.99
CDC Mustang Shaker System (2007-2008 GT)$835.00

drum roll please.... subtotal is.. $3,401.93
CDC Mustang Shaker system $835? Waste of money and time.
Borla Stingers for $816? Way too much money for 2 horsepower.
BBK Throttle Body $300? The stock TB is good for up to 500 horsepower.

That's almost 2 G's of wasted money right there. Not trying to put you down, DaDant, but I think he can spend that money on much more productive parts.

Instead of CDC Shaker, get a nice CAI. Steeda, Ford Racing and C&L make great products. Make sure you get a CAI that REQUIRES a tune! With the SCT or DiabloSport tuner, you can get a custom tune written for your car which combined with the CAI, is good for 30-40 horsepower.

Mufflers? Get the cheapest ones you can find. You get little to no power gains with them. The make the car sound great, but as far as performance goes, they are not worth much at all.

As far as the throttle body goes: If you can get it to work on your car, you may gain a few horses from it; IF you can get it to work. These newer Mustangs with the fly-by-wire throttle system are very sensitive to changes, and most people who run aftermarket throttle bodies have lots of problems with it. Again, the stock throttle body is good past 450 hp, so to meet your goals, you can keep the stock part.

My $0.02?

1) CAI (one that requires tune)
2) An SCT or DiabloSport tuner with a custom tune from BamaChips, BrenSpeed, etc.
3) Underdrive pullies.
4) Full exhaust (headers, off road h or x-pipe, mufflers) Long tube headers are known to make more power.
5) Gears swap (3.73 or 4.10, depends on how much highway driving you do).
6) Lower control arms (to eliminate wheel hop)
7) Hurst or your short shifter of choice.
8) CHE k-member brace with torque limiters (helps you shift easier at high rpm's)

With the above mods, you will be at or above your goal, and you will some suspension components in place to help put the power to the ground, and have PLENTY of money left over. You can opt for:

9) Aluminum driveshaft
10) Cams

With the above mods, you will easily be pushing 400 horses and have money left over in your pocket.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #38
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugedraw View Post
Borla Stingers for $816? Way too much money for 2 horsepower.

Mufflers? Get the cheapest ones you can find. You get little to no power gains with them. The make the car sound great, but as far as performance goes, they are not worth much at all.
I agree with everything you say above except what I quoted. Buying the cheapest mufflers you can to still make your car sound good might be good in the short term, however down the road you will regret it when they rust out and/or come apart inside like flowmasters will.

The stingers sounds amazing. They are worth the money. The $816 is a bit steep and I know they can be had for less, but sometimes a mod isn't to make power, but to make the car what you want it to be. Chinsing out on parts is not a good way to do a project. It may cost more, but do it right and do it once.
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I agree with everything you say above except what I quoted. Buying the cheapest mufflers you can to still make your car sound good might be good in the short term, however down the road you will regret it when they rust out and/or come apart inside like flowmasters will.

The stingers sounds amazing. They are worth the money. The $816 is a bit steep and I know they can be had for less, but sometimes a mod isn't to make power, but to make the car what you want it to be. Chinsing out on parts is not a good way to do a project. It may cost more, but do it right and do it once.
Yea, I can agree with you on that. I didn't word it right, but what I was trying to say is that what you spend on mufflers is for you; not for performance gains.

As far as the Flowmaster coming apart: I bought my Flows used on eBay for $150 shipped. I've had them for 1 year and 1 month. They are perfect, they look great and sound even better. I have no rust issues at all. Although I must admit, you aren't the first person I hear mention that Flows rust out, but I have had no issue with mine.

A bit off topic, but when I clean my car, I make sure I don't spray the nozzle into the mufflers. If you do, and the water sits inside the muffler for extended periods of time, I can see any muffler rusting out; not just Flows. I clean the tip, and I hose it down from the sides so no water goes into the mufflers. Maybe that's why mine have lasted me?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #40
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Hottcobra may chime in at some point, but we just swapped his exhaust out last weekend because his chokemasters came apart inside and were rattling like crazy.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

and they were only 2 years old.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #42
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
Speaking of which, you need to fix your sig.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #43

Quote:
In your sig, I see Flows. You still running them, or you went a different route this time?

In my case, I guess I'm old school. I've been running Flows on my Mustangs since my first fox when I was 16. 13 years and 9 Mustangs later, I have had Flows on each one. Nothing sounds quite like them, IMO.

I've heard plenty other S197's with different exhaust combos, and I like the tone mine has. If they were to rust out, I would buy Flows again.

BTW: lol@chokemasters! Then again, I call the SLP's the Fartmouths, so to each their own.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #44

Quote:
Speaking of which, you need to fix your sig.
hottcobra: There it is........disregard the first statement.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #45
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugedraw View Post
In your sig, I see Flows. You still running them, or you went a different route this time?

In my case, I guess I'm old school. I've been running Flows on my Mustangs since my first fox when I was 16. 13 years and 9 Mustangs later, I have had Flows on each one. Nothing sounds quite like them, IMO.

I've heard plenty other S197's with different exhaust combos, and I like the tone mine has. If they were to rust out, I would buy Flows again.

BTW: lol@chokemasters! Then again, I call the SLP's the Fartmouths, so to each their own.
SLP's = GM product that should find itself no where near a mustang in any form...garbarge and sound like ****.

Flows = should be on 5.0/5.8 based pushrod motors only...sound like **** on anything modular...unfortunately they sound good on the 5.0's...because they really are garbage.

And yeah, we swapped out his exhaust to a Pipes mid muffler setup. It's pretty tame right now with cats, he'll be putting an offroad pipe on at some point so we will see how it sounds then.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

will have to when i get home. i can't use the control panel on my phone.

i'm running the pypes mid muffler system now. all stainless mandrel bent pipes. note. it is getting louder and sounding better as i drive it more.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #47

Talking Re: Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
will have to when i get home. i can't use the control panel on my phone.

i'm running the pypes mid muffler system now. all stainless mandrel bent pipes. note. it is getting louder and sounding better as i drive it more.
PureVenom: It isn't the mufflers that make the 5.0/5.8's sound good; it's the over-head valves! lol I think the OHV Mustangs sound better than the OHC. However, if you put some MagnaFlows on a fox, it's gonna sounds like sh*t, IMO. One of my Stangs had some MagnaFlows on it, and they didn't last a week before I swapped them out for some Flows.

My car sounded MUCH better after putting the headers on. Here's a video I made a short while ago, before I added the rear valance. The first 30 seconds you can hear the car, then I do a quick walk-around. You can't really get a full feel for the sound in a video, but I LOVE how my modular sounds with the Flows.

Well, we've gotten a bit off topic! OP: When you decide on your mufflers, go to YouTube or StreetFire and look up videos with different combos. Go with whatever appeals the most to you. As far as making power goes, there is no difference from one brand of muffler to the next. I think we can all agree on that.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

agreed...

rugedraw: in my defense from what i took he had no idea where to start. that wasnt a THIS IS What you should by but here are some items that would be good imo, which intern should help him find other similar parts from searching for them. im not an expert but i know the basics lol

im getting there.
DaDant! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDant! View Post
agreed...

rugedraw: in my defense from what i took he had no idea where to start. that wasnt a THIS IS What you should by but here are some items that would be good imo, which intern should help him find other similar parts from searching for them. im not an expert but i know the basics lol
Yea, I feel ya. I was just giving my opinion on the subject. Since you were the first to respond, it kinda seemed like I was going after you, which is why I excused myself from the get-go.

Those CDC Shaker systems are pretty if you like the retro look, but expensive and hardly worth the performance gains for the price. Not to mention, the hole you have to cut in your hood, so you can't just "bolt it on".

I still can't get over anyone paying almost a grand for a pair of mufflers, though......lol.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #50
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^^^ That's the minimum advertised price though....if you call places to order you almost always save money. I saved $200 when I ordered by phone instead of the interwebz when I bought my stingers.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #51

Quote:
^^^ That's the minimum advertised price though....if you call places to order you almost always save money. I saved $200 when I ordered by phone instead of the interwebz when I bought my stingers.
Yea, I'm sure you can eBay them or otherwise for cheaper.

I remember the good old days when you could get a pair of mufflers for under $100 and get them welded in for another $50. Good times.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I wanted to let all know that after considering all the information I received from the thread I chose to supercharge my car. I had a Roush supercharger, Roush CAI, and Roush Resonator exhaust put on along with there rear deck spoiler. This will keep the remainder of my factor warranty in place which is good.

Not sure of what kind of Horsepower I will have now, but want to get it on a dyno someday soon.
BIGRED3361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRED3361 View Post
I wanted to let all know that after considering all the information I received from the thread I chose to supercharge my car. I had a Roush supercharger, Roush CAI, and Roush Resonator exhaust put on along with there rear deck spoiler. This will keep the remainder of my factor warranty in place which is good.

Not sure of what kind of Horsepower I will have now, but want to get it on a dyno someday soon.
Well, then.......huffer it is. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah-I would have to agree with Brent-nice thread guys.. It's really easy? isn't it-to just keep pushing the envelope-with our repective cars-and turn them into the proverbial money pit. Why not just yank the 3 valve 4.6-in favor of a stroker?
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRED3361 View Post
I would like to super charge my car but this is my daily driver, I'm not sure what the maintenance cost would be with one. I was hopping the running naturally would be less maintenance cost in the long term. Like I have stated I want to keep my mustang for the long term, love this years body style and the interior look, reminds me of all the muscle care I have seen growing up in that time.
there is no extra cost with one, you just have to change the oil in it if its self contained every 6 thousand miles. so every second oil change just change it. Thats about it, you can somtimes clean it up, tighten everythign up but its not needed really.

The only extra cost would be a boost gauge, and aif/fuel.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

I think you'll be more than happy with the roushcharger, I've seen some very respectable numbers from those things.

2008 Torch Red Mustang GT
SCT3/JLT intake and Bamachips 93 race tune l shorty antenna l rear blackout panel l RT hood struts l Steeda Tri-Ax shifter l JBA LT's l O/R H pipe l FRPP Stingers l DDM 55w 8000k Headlights and fogs l Blacked out turn signals l M/T ET Street Radials
Best time with mods-13.1@105mph(before LT's)
echoinsilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, the Roush Charger has been great, not sure of the horsepower numbers, but it has more power than the stock tire can handle. I am going to need new rubber soon hopefully I can get some bigger rubber on the stock rims since I like the style of the rims.

SOLD:2008 GT, ROUSH M90, ROUSH CAI, FORD HOTROD CAM, KOOKS LT, CATTED X PIPE, ROUSH RESONATOR EXHAUST, 2.57 PULLEY, STEEDA COWL HOOD, CALIFORNIA SPECIAL FASCIA, ROUSH REAR DECK SPOILER, 427.6WHP, 395.2 RWTQ
Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #58

Region: Pennsylvania

reliability? most cars are tuned down from there full potential. the right parts help with reliabilty but, the biggest thing is the tune of your ecu. that is where your reliabilty lies. on open exhaust and cai, only will do so much until the fuel map you are running is adjusted for the increased flow.

turbos and superchargers are not as hard on engine as you may think, with the correct maps, and fuel. will your injectors/fuel pump support an increase to your disiered level?
BaginDVS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

I think the injectors are good they installed high flow injectors with the supercharger and the fuel pump shouldn't have a problem I hope. Roush seems to have a good setup and tune to go with it.

SOLD:2008 GT, ROUSH M90, ROUSH CAI, FORD HOTROD CAM, KOOKS LT, CATTED X PIPE, ROUSH RESONATOR EXHAUST, 2.57 PULLEY, STEEDA COWL HOOD, CALIFORNIA SPECIAL FASCIA, ROUSH REAR DECK SPOILER, 427.6WHP, 395.2 RWTQ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT