Need gear installer in Baton Rouge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Need gear installer in Baton Rouge

I have been to Stang-Hi, and TPS in Baton Bouge, and they have given me estimates of $800 (lol) and $350 for the install alone. I know there are alot of BR natives in here. Anyone know where I could get this done for cheaper?
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Need gear installer in Baton Rouge

Try zimmer gears or thunder racing

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i called stang-hi they told me around 900. i called zimmer gears they said the same and i called thunder racing they told me they only do gm to go to stang hi.
07stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Regular

Region: Tennessee

350 for install is probably the cheapest you are going to get.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

where did u get 350 estimate for ur install at? im buying the gears from brenspeed for 175 the build kit for 69 and about 45 for the royal purple fluid. im think about puting them in but idk if i should.
07gt. sct 93octane custom tune,bbk cold air intake,kooks LT headers,o/r x-pipe,borla stingers, ford racing 3.73 gears,19" tsw wheels,eibach sportline lowering springs, 12k hid headlights, clear turn signal lens, cdc upper and lower billet grille.
07stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCB57 View Post
I have been to Stang-Hi, and TPS in Baton Bouge, and they have given me estimates of $800 (lol) and $350 for the install alone. I know there are alot of BR natives in here. Anyone know where I could get this done for cheaper?
well $350 sounds about right. mine was that price from L&S, but i wouldnt recommend them.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The $350 estimate was from total performance solutions. The only reason I am asking around is because they gave me an estimate for $250 (also a guy I know said they did his for $275), then when they found out about the $800 estimate they said $350, and I don't really want to give them my business anymore. Maybe I will go over there with $300 cash and tell them take it or leave it.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCB57 View Post
The $350 estimate was from total performance solutions. The only reason I am asking around is because they gave me an estimate for $250 (also a guy I know said they did his for $275), then when they found out about the $800 estimate they said $350, and I don't really want to give them my business anymore. Maybe I will go over there with $300 cash and tell them take it or leave it.
yea tps did a friend of mines gears for $250 or so. it seems a lot of these businesses just pull prices out their asses sometimes, especially stang hi. a lot of guys have problems with L&S, but you could try asking them. thats really the only other place i know of.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

TPS is a good place, Benjy is good people. He is going to have the best rates around. They do good work over there. StangHi's quote was that high for a reason.

When are you looking to do the install? I might know a place to get them done depending on when you are looking to do them. If you need them done soon, I would suggest Benjy @ TPS.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
TPS is a good place, Benjy is good people. He is going to have the best rates around. They do good work over there. StangHi's quote was that high for a reason.

When are you looking to do the install? I might know a place to get them done depending on when you are looking to do them. If you need them done soon, I would suggest Benjy @ TPS.
Yea i would agree. Benjy and i had a little misunderstanding a few weeks when i had asked him to check some stuff out when he changed out my wheel bearings, but he refunded me for it. He does good work so ill second purevenom's opinion.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Benji will be tuning the chevelle as soon as I get back

Old 02-12-2009, 06:02 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Damn... I paid $100 for my gear install. I guess it really does help to know people.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
Road Trip!

dude, why do you "LOL" at the prices that every baton rouge shop gave you?, ever think that thats just what it costs. i have very close connections with tps and the customer service will never be better anywhere else, benjy often loses money to make customers happy, at the end of the day each of those buisnesses have bills to pay, before you get too upset, try going to work today and telling them you dont want to be paid for the first 3 hours you get there.gear installs take more then just bolting a gear in, if you dont believe me, try the install yourself, then call one of those shops to fix it when the ring gear teeth are broken, or when they whine like a 6 month old baby.

sorry if i come off like a jerk but i have to listen to this stuff all the time, if we dont get paid to work on other peoples cars, we would sit around and work on our own cars for free...just think about it.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrange View Post
dude, why do you "LOL" at the prices that every baton rouge shop gave you?, ever think that thats just what it costs. i have very close connections with tps and the customer service will never be better anywhere else, benjy often loses money to make customers happy, at the end of the day each of those buisnesses have bills to pay, before you get too upset, try going to work today and telling them you dont want to be paid for the first 3 hours you get there.gear installs take more then just bolting a gear in, if you dont believe me, try the install yourself, then call one of those shops to fix it when the ring gear teeth are broken, or when they whine like a 6 month old baby.

sorry if i come off like a jerk but i have to listen to this stuff all the time, if we dont get paid to work on other peoples cars, we would sit around and work on our own cars for free...just think about it.
Well Said !!! You get what you pay for !!!!!!! There's a hella lot of work installing gears .I helped install mine and was amazed at the tools/skills required to do gears
we removed the entire axle to make it easier. It’s tighter then a virgin underneath the car if you don't have a lift which we didn't then there's the measurements
1) Pinion Depth
2) Backlash
3) Pinion Bearing preload
4) Carrier bearing preload

and a bunch of other little ****

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

$800 for the install alone..... Of the five people i have talked too the highest anyone paid to have them installed was $400, that's why i "LOL" at only the $800.....I said nothing of TPS they seem like good people (from what i have heard) and i don't think their $350 is unreasonable whatsoever. I was simply asking if anyone knew of a place that might be cheaper. Please read my post more clearly before going on a rant about how I "LOL" at the prices that every baton rouge shop gave me. And yes you did come off like a jerk.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

james you will fit in here well

Old 02-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

if I was you I would have TPS do it

Old 02-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

That's where i think i will be going.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

they are good people. I would help you out, but i don't have a press to swap the pinion bearing. I need to get one though.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well i appreciate that, If you have it in the next two weeks let me know, as I have to sell a BMW before I can get my gears
Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

will do.
Kevin (07stang) I will be helping him do his install. we used to work together at Duplessis Cadillac, and he still works their so we gonna do the install their

Old 02-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

ok cool well I will gladly pay you and I would love to get my own hands dirty helping....I like to do all my installs on my own.....Long tubes are coming after gears and that will be fun
Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

gears are not something you want to try yourself without someone that knows what their doing.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

yeah that's why I am not going to attempt the install, i will do my cams, l/t's, cmdps, and pulleys myself
Old 02-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

it's not really hard, but it has to be done exactly right or it won't work right

Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i dont want all that whine business.....my friend has a 99 GT with 3.73s and awful whine i'd almost rather walk
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

what a shame. It took me about ten gear swaps before i could do it without dropping f bombs

Old 02-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #28
Road Trip!

i assume you have the tools to set the backlash and pinion depth? $800 for just labor is rediculous, $350 for labor is about right, i paid benjy to do mine and i was working there, i didnt feel like messing with it, and i can come off like a jerk sometimes, brush it off your shoulder, i dont mean anything by it.but in all fairness, does your boss ask you if you will take less pay this week because his money is a little tight?im so stubborn on this subject because i have to deal with people complaining about my paint prices when they get perfection, $1000 cheaper than any other local painter, i got tired of hearing it.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

No hard feelings man, btw i'm about to get a carbon fiber hood (fiberglass with CF layer and gelcoat) how much would you charge to sand an paint it black??
Old 02-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i assume you have the tools to set the backlash and pinion depth?
if your asking me, than yes I do.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #31
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
if your asking me, than yes I do.
:bs::liar:

You don't have any tools....and you know it.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I gots a monkey wrench and a BFH

Old 02-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #33
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Without a screwdriver and duct tape, you're screwed...
Old 02-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

keep the screwdriver and duct tape in my truck at all times

Old 02-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #35
Road Trip!

300 to scuff and shoot it...with a 1 year warranty, no bodywork included, sometimes i do a little work if its needed with no extra charge but some people take it overboard like bringing me a bumber that is cracked down the center when i was told its scuff and spray.lol

yeah i was askin you louis, i know you are pretty mechanically inclined, just didnt know if you had it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT