4 Lug to 5 Lug Help... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

SC_STEEDA is unknown around these parts
4 Lug to 5 Lug Help...

I have a 1966 Mustang with an inline 6 that has 4 lug axles. In the near future I plan on dropping a 351 or a 4.6 in the Mustang and to do this i need to have 5 lug axles, so my question is how hard of a task is this and what components do I need (tools, suspension, axles, skill level)? Also I want some good suspension on the Mustang cause i dont want it to just go in a straight line. What kind of suspension do I need? Does Eibach make complete kits for a 1966?

"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
SC_STEEDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

SpectorV is just getting started.
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: 4 Lug to 5 Lug Help...

hmm I saw one the other day (66) that had 98 cobra rims on it. Looked like drums in the back though so not sure where they got the parts from. Are the rotors and hubs separate on those years or made together?

2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not to sure spectorv. how do i find out?
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
Old 06-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

SpectorV is just getting started.
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if rotor has the lugs made into it~ I know a good mustang shop you could contact about it

SVPU - Special Vehicle Products Unlimited they do all kinds of stuff and can tell you right off what is needed.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #5

robertburns3 is unknown around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_STEEDA View Post
I have a 1966 Mustang with an inline 6 that has 4 lug axles. In the near future I plan on dropping a 351 or a 4.6 in the Mustang and to do this i need to have 5 lug axles, so my question is how hard of a task is this and what components do I need (tools, suspension, axles, skill level)? Also I want some good suspension on the Mustang cause i dont want it to just go in a straight line. What kind of suspension do I need? Does Eibach make complete kits for a 1966?
I too had a 1966. When I bought it, it had been converted from a 6cyl. to a 289. They changed out the rear end, so the back had 5 bolts and the front had 4 bolts. (It sucked hauling around 2 spares.)

I think they also changed out the transmission at the time, but I don't know if that was needed. It was a 4 speed when I bought it.

The car had no power brakes and since the front drums were sized for a 6 cylinder, it did not stop well. I would recommend swapping out all 4 corners.

My dad now has the car and has swapped out the front drums from a donor car. I think he had to switch out the master cylinder and some other parts. If it was me, I would have bought a disk brake converstion for the front which will give you most of what you would need : spindles, disks, calipers, master, etc.. Its more money, but may be worth it.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #6

66gt350ps is unknown around these parts
Smile Re: 4 Lug to 5 Lug Help...

You are off to a good start with upgrading to the 5 lug. Many articles over the years have been written about the inline 6 to V8 conversion requirements that include brakes, suspension, differential, trans, exhaust, etc. Since the I-6 was never designed to be a performance car, it came with the weakest items off the shelf at Ford and it kept the price low. It is frequently recommended that the conversion cost and resale value (the VIN tells all) make it better sell the 6 and get an original 8 cyl Pony to upgrade.

However, I have seen a number of nice conversions, mostly with 302 blocks (as the 4.6 and 351 require a lot of cutting and welding of the shock towers which equals more cost). The key is if this is going to be a ride you enjoy and will be working on over a number of years. Tip: stop is first, go is second. Get a good front disk brake system as the drums don't stop V8 power well at all. Next do the necessary suspension upgrade so the V8 doesn't make the Pony buckle. Change the rear end as it cannot hold the extra power either. Donor V8 cars can keep the costs down. Then do the rest of driveline work.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ok thanks for the advice. does this mean I can get any axles out of any mustang or do i need a specific year?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #8

66gt350ps is unknown around these parts
Smile Re: 4 Lug to 5 Lug Help...

This posting is very common on all the various Mustang web forums and is answered at length frequently. Instead of my repeating all of the issues that others have addressed, it would be worth it for you to search this and other forum sites as well as Mustang magazine archives. A bit of research will help you in your decision as to the time and cost before you decide to get started.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs