Starter noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Region: Illinois
Starter noise

Hi: I was hoping someone might be able to answer a question about the starter on my 67 mustang. I had a friend who is a mechanic swap out the 6 cylinder for a 289 v8. He is used to working on newer cars. We had to switch starters. The new one produces a thunking sound every revolution. What would cause that? Any help appreciated. Thanks, Max

maxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: Starter noise

Is the thunk-ing sound successive? That is when you start it up do your hear a "thunk thunk thunk" or is it just something more like a loud "THUNK". How long does it last? Just for the time it takes to start the car (key in "start" position)? Is it after the motor is/while running?

You could try and remove the starter and test it electrically (be very careful doing this and make sure you know how to test it before trying it yourself). You can just try replacing the starter with a new one. These should rule out the starter making the noise. Most likely it is something inside the engine, perhaps the gear on the starter is worn and the engine is slipping when starting. So you can check that area, the interal components.

It could also be something as silly as a missing bolt or nut and the start up of the engine is knocking around something loose, or even the engine isn't properly mounted.

I am not that familiar with the problem so to me it can be a couple of sources. I would try and rule out a few things as well to help narrow what I'm looking at (or for). For instance try having someone start the car as you pop your head under the hood (careful!) and try and locate the exact place the sound is coming from.

Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
OsirisGuy is correct
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Region: Illinois
Re: Starter noise

Thanks. I will print your suggestions and give to my mech in the morning. The starter is a new one and the engine has been gone through but it has not started yet. As I noted before, he is used to working on newer cars and is getting a crash course in how to set points. We heard the thunking in the starter while trying to start the engine. Thanks again. I really appreciate the help. Max
maxxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs