68 GTA CONVERTIBLE - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #1

Region: Europe
Question 68 GTA CONVERTIBLE

Hi All
I have a 68 V8 convertible, It has a GT fuel cap, and both wings have a GTA badge on them, Question is excluding the 390,350, and 500 etc, did ford make a 289 GTA, and if so is there any difference between that and a standard
289 automatic, i live in Ireland and need some expert help..

Thanks.
joeysull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: 68 GTA CONVERTIBLE

Hmm...they made a bunch of GTA's in 67. They were basically GT's with an auto tranny and had either the 289 or the 390 4V. I don't think they made any in 68. Sounds like someone may have stuck some emblems on a 289 GT.

You could try a vin decoder or something along those lines to find out. But to my knowledge they only produced them in 67, as coupes, verts, or fastbacks.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

In '68 the smallest V8 in the Mustang was the 289cid. It was a C-code. Best bet is to check the VIN; there are numerous online sources that can help you decode the VIN. The engine code will be the 5th letter (or possibly number) in the VIN. The first alphanumeric of the VIN should be a number and will be the year in the decade the car was built. Therefore the VIN should start with an eight (8).

sonicpony03 pretty much hit the nail on the head, but to reiterate; 1967 was the only year Ford used the GTA badging, which just meant it was the GT model with an Automatic transmission. The GTA badge spanned all three body types: coupes, convertibles, and the fastback. This was for the 289 and 390cid although I'm not sure if it included each engine. Meaning there was a 2V 289cid and 4V 289cid (HiPo?) and a 4V 390cid and that I'm not sure if it included both 289cid versions. (Actually there were three 289cid versions, a third 4V had a bump in horsepower and placed into some Shelbys).

References
For your 1968 TheMustangSource.com | Timeline: 1968 Mustang
For 1967 (and the GTA badge info) TheMustangSource.com | Timeline: 1967 Mustang

By the way someone around here has the new S197 body style with the GTA badge on the fenders and it looks really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #4

Region: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
In '68 the smallest V8 in the Mustang was the 289cid. It was a C-code. Best bet is to check the VIN; there are numerous online sources that can help you decode the VIN. The engine code will be the 5th letter (or possibly number) in the VIN. The first alphanumeric of the VIN should be a number and will be the year in the decade the car was built. Therefore the VIN should start with an eight (8).

sonicpony03 pretty much hit the nail on the head, but to reiterate; 1967 was the only year Ford used the GTA badging, which just meant it was the GT model with an Automatic transmission. The GTA badge spanned all three body types: coupes, convertibles, and the fastback. This was for the 289 and 390cid although I'm not sure if it included each engine. Meaning there was a 2V 289cid and 4V 289cid (HiPo?) and a 4V 390cid and that I'm not sure if it included both 289cid versions. (Actually there were three 289cid versions, a third 4V had a bump in horsepower and placed into some Shelbys).

References
For your 1968 TheMustangSource.com | Timeline: 1968 Mustang
For 1967 (and the GTA badge info) TheMustangSource.com | Timeline: 1967 Mustang

By the way someone around here has the new S197 body style with the GTA badge on the fenders and it looks really good.

Thanks for that guys, the car was in the uk for the past 20 years,before coming to ireland and the v5 paperwork has it down as a gta, but everything else about the car appears to be standard, i`ve applied for a marti report to see what it came out of the factory as..

Thanks for your help
joe.
joeysull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up Re: 68 GTA CONVERTIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysull View Post
Thanks for that guys, the car was in the uk for the past 20 years,before coming to ireland and the v5 paperwork has it down as a gta, but everything else about the car appears to be standard, i`ve applied for a marti report to see what it came out of the factory as..

Thanks for your help
joe.
Marti report will tell all .....
big man is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs