1966 mustang convertible help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #1

1966 mustang convertible help

Hello all I have been looking to get into a stang since i was like 5 and now I am getting close. The thing is I am kinda picky I mean I dont mind work but I want a certain body style and tranny and engine. I origanally wanted a 1993 fox 5.0 5 speed. Then I wanted a fastback stang 65-69 then came the time I wanted any 70 stang to make an lawman clone. Recently I have been looking at 05+ stangs (all said cars have to be manual trans for me to like them) but my buddy called yesterday and said he found me a 1966 vert with a 302 and a 4 speed. He has a 65 coupe and was going to buy it but thought i should get the chance. Now I havent seen it yet but I was told it runs and drives and is almost done just needs paint but the guy is in a bad way and needs cash. I hate convertibles but the guy wants $700 and thats it. I thought about doing a fastback conversion on it. or painting it and selling it. He says once I drive it I will love the thing but idk verts are just not my thing. Do you guys think I should bother picking this thing up?
flopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Blogger
Blogger

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73
Re: 1966 mustang convertible help

A 66 vert for $700 that is in good shape sounds to good to be true to me, but what do I know. Being a vert owner I would say get it. If it is as you say in good shape you could probably turn it over quick and make a few dollars. If you don't want it let me know where it is.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I agree with rickf73...some things can be too good to be true, but if it is in decent shape and runs/drives solid, I'd pick it up for $700. As said above, you can always sell it for more coin if a vert's not your thing. I'd physically look at it, see what shape the body and engine is actually in, then go from there.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

i wouldn't waste my time on it i would keep looking
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I think you should pass on it and let someone into the car get it so you don't just let it sit and rot.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #6

I wont let it sit and rot No way in he** but I am just wondering if it would be worth the time in the end to fix it up. I never doing anything half a$$ so nobody needs to worry about that and like I said the guy just really needs quick cash so it was offered to me. I am going to look at it asap and double check everything. If its all good I will probably buy it and see what I think of having a vert worst case i just sell it to somebody who will. O and I knew somebody was going to want to know where it was lol. Thanks for the post so far. Does anybody regret getting a vert over something else If so why
Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Most guys with verts on here it isn't thier daily driver and they only drive it with the top down unless it starts raining of course. In that case I wouldn't mind having one but since mines a daily driver and the top would almost always be up I never plan on getting one.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Blogger
Blogger

Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

Mine is mostly a daily driver unless I need to use the other vehicles for some reason. I drive with the top down most of the time. If the temp is 50 plus and it is dry I will have to top down. Some people look at me kinda strange but I love it. It is not the same feel driving with the top up.
With that said I do think a vert. gives you 2 cars in one, a vert and a sort of coupe. I have heard all the complaint about noise and such, but I don't notice.
The only thing I have come up with so far is if I want to take it on a road course, alot of them have a rule that you need a roll bar with a vert. and that could be a bummer.

I grew up driving with my windows down even in the winter, our winters are mild, so I love the wind in what little hair I have left.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #9

I'd say wait for the one you want.. BUT you might end up regretting it. Though on the other hand, you don't like verts so that would be no contest to me.. Don't buy it.

Life is not a series of appetizers.
Shlbylvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Go for it $700 is a great price and will bring lots of joy...could always sell it ,once done and put the money into what you realy want,sure it would be snapped up...
Old 02-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

What I would do is 1. Look at it closely inspect paint, primer body, Vin etc. 2. Start it (if can be started.) 3. Look at the parts and make sure they are quality. Look underneath to make sure it wasn't pieced together or had serious accident damage that wasn't repaired properly. 4. Drive it ( if can be driven) 5. If you have any doubts have a classic car appraiser look at it/ inspect it.
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #12

Thats my plan I dont want a jy special hopefully he gives me a call soon he was busy this weekend and said he would call to set a date to look at it
Old 02-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

If it needs some work and it's not a pice of junk go for it.. Don't be afraid to bargin with him either.
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1966 mustang