I Need Help!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I Need Help!!!

Okay, my '66 won't start. I have put 2 new batteries in the car, I've charged both of the batteries I've put in there. It ran Great for a week or so. I took it to a car show weekend before last and it sat for 2 days. I went to crank and I got this "Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick" noise. I'm getting different explanations. Its the starter, the battery, the spark plugs. I'm baffled because if my battery is dead, why would my headlights come on? Maybe y'all can give me some insight. Thanks!

My Friends On A Saturday Night After 6 Shots, 3 Martinis, 2 Pitchers of Beer :drinkbud: I love being the DD
Sexylil66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: I Need Help!!!

Sounds to me like you have an electrical draw somewhere that when the car sits just drains your battery.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I'm no expert on the classics but unless you have a major draw on the battery, it could be a starter. The headlights will come on even if the car won't start due to the battery because there is enough juice in the batt to power lights. But I would check for any major unusual electrical draw before anything else. If none, have the starter checked. Just my opinion.

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

^^ True, if it was a dead battery, it would only tick a couple times then nothing....

Does it always tick or does the ticking stop and never come back?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Sounds like a starter or starter solenoid. Start with the solenoid first though b/c its easier to put in and its $10 compared to $60. Sounds like it might be the starter though....mine did that when it died.

You could also test the starter before you buy a new one. Just take it out and hook it up to the battery using a set of jumper cables. If it spins, its fine, if not its broken.

Hit me up if you need anymore help.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Its the alternator. Thanks for the input though!!

My Friends On A Saturday Night After 6 Shots, 3 Martinis, 2 Pitchers of Beer :drinkbud: I love being the DD
Sexylil66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs