New floor pan and Frame - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #1

New floor pan and Frame

Great Forum !

I bought a 68 coupe with a straight body and a rotten floor pans and frame. Im in the process of replacing everything on the underside. Frame/floor pans/wheel houses/rockers/torck boxes/and tail light panel.
My question is should I paint the bottom red and leave it painted or give it a more durable finish? Since I have the opertunity to do this before everything else is installed.
How were they originally done?
What gives it best value?
This car wont be a daily driver. Some local shows and sunday drives.I thought about spraying it with truck bed liner and painting it red to match the car. That would leave a smooth finish and be durable. I dont want to hurt the value. This car is not all original. It has aftermarket california special kit. Im changing the tailight panel to all metal with california special light openings. It had that fiberglass overlay. I think someone cut the light openings with a broken hacksaw blade. The trunk couldnt be adjusted right. All opinions would be apreciated. Thanks Mike
68redcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #2

Region: Florida
Re: New floor pan and Frame

I like the idea of coating it first and then painting it. It will make it last much longer and still look good.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #3

Region: Indiana

When I replaced my floor pans, I just welded them in, smoothed out my welds with bondo and painted over them with a rust-resistant paint. Next I'll put another coat of paint then sound deadening then the carpet.
JRodigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #4

I think the spray on Truck bed liner is great because it has an excelent surface for the paint to adhere to, and it adheres to just about anything. On the frame when you paint over it it leaves an oarnge peal surface.
I have a New Holland skid steer. I painted the bucket with spray on truck bed liner. All I can say is if it holds up that well diging in the dirt it should last forever on the bottom of a Mustang
Mike
68redcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs