68 suspension & brake upgrades? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:12 AM   #1

68 suspension & brake upgrades?

Hey guys,

new to the forum, from the san jose area, if any of you are from around here, pm me. I have a 68 coupe w/ 289.

Anyway, I am looking to upgrade my suspension, nothing too crazy, but my car is 39 years old and starting to handle like a 10 year old. I just wnat to upgrade her a little. I was thinking new leaf springs, springs, struts, shocks. A mild tune up I guess. I'm looking to spend around a grand. That is just on parts. What are you guys running? what do you wish you were running?

Brakes, looking to switch to rotors. tired of drums.

This car is all original with only 80k miles on it, so I dont want to take away from it too much, just a few upgrades would be nice.

Justin
Jpeverini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Re: 68 suspension & brake upgrades?

I'd leave some very soft leafs in the rear and convert to an ajustable coilover shocks in both the front and rear. That and stiffer front sway and possible adding a rear swaybar(if it is not so equiped)? You have tractionbars on it?
Drnaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

if your looking to only spend a grand, I'd do a little research to find out which car has the same track width and all (this info is everywhere on the net) find that car in a junk yard and steal all the brake/spindle/caliper/booster parts that you can off of it and use those.

besides that just replace all the stock bushings with eurathane (sp?)

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

As far as the drum to disk conversion goes, I've heard a lot of resto stang guys using parts from a Fairlane or a Galaxy with disks to have something to upgrade to on a budget. Other than that your a looking at a whole new setup from Baer, Wilwood, etc.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

There guys should be able to get you hooked reasonable. Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC
Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC
Old 03-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #6

I Just Bought A Disc Brake Conversion From Manateemustang.com Vary Reasonable 700.00 Everything Included And As Far As Suspension Go To Mustangs Unlimited.com They Were Great Help And Not To Pricey
MUSTANGMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:03 AM   #7

Region: New York

I would also like to upgrade my suspension with a small budget soon. And, I also have a 68 coupe. One of the things holding me up as far as disc brakes is that my car was a factory six cylinder, so I still have the smaller front spindles with a four hole lug pattern on all four corners. I don't think there are any disc brake upgrades available for what I have now. I've been told that all of the six cylinder driveline and suspension will hold up to my small block V-8 currently in the car, as long as I don't beat on it too much. I can even do the T-5 tranny upgrade someday with the old suspension. So, for cost reasons, I'm staying put with the four lug stuff. The only real hassle was not having a large selection of aftermarket wheels to choose from. Most are for five lug cars. I was lucky that I liked the way the Weld wheels that I bought looked on my car. I'm going to replace the rear leafs, front coil springs, and all four shocks for now.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a couple of page's i found that has some up grades Mustang Parts Ford: Mustang Brake System Parts,Mustang Brake Conversions

Stainless Steel Brakes’ Six-Cylinder Disc Brake Conversion
Old 04-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #9

Cool! Thanks for the post on a disc brake kit for cars still retaining the six cylinder suspensions. I didn't know it was available. Like the site says, now the THOUSANDS of six cylinder cars out there can have the safety of disc brakes. Thanks again.......
Old 04-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No problem, hope it works out for you. I just finished converting my 89 Super Coupe to the Cobra pattern so i could use some 17 cobra rims i have. I also converted to a bigger front rotor setup off a Lincoln Mark8. Used hubs of a newer independent 8.8 cobra rear.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #11

You have a SC T-Bird???? Very Cool car! Please post a pic if you have one. Have you ever seen the movie "Jade?" There was a black T-Bird Super Coupe in that movie that was awesome. Too bad they wrecked it at the end of a chase scene. I've always wanted to own one and make it look like that car from the movie.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCLPONY View Post
You have a SC T-Bird???? Very Cool car! Please post a pic if you have one. Have you ever seen the movie "Jade?" There was a black T-Bird Super Coupe in that movie that was awesome. Too bad they wrecked it at the end of a chase scene. I've always wanted to own one and make it look like that car from the movie.
Yeah, an 1989 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe. 3.8 super charged engine. I've had it since 1990. I'm trying to finish up a Ford SuperDuty Diesel intercooler conversion i just fabricated into my cars front end. Keep in mind, all this while keeping its factory intercooler bolt on set up as well. Pretty slick if you ask me. I got some cheesy phone pics i'll post up from photobucket.

Thunderbird Super Coupe - Specifications
http://www.sccoa.com/member/images/kreisz1.jpg 89 pic.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Stock set up.

Modifing stock radiator support to hold cooler support.

First test fit.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #14

Region: California

scarebird makes a four lug disk kit for the front also. the link has already been posted.
quickstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

check this out... disc brake swap... Link: index.html

best bang for the buck and great quality. I have installed many kits on customers cars.

if you want the car to handle better all you need to do is replace the suspension with stock new components. when you go to install it do the Shelby drop, 620 coil springs and front and rear sway bar and new shocks. makes a huge difference.

good luck with everything!
San Diego, Ca
CPRsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs