Some advice needed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #1

Some advice needed

Hi, I am new to this forum (very nice by the way), and tomorrow morning I am going to check out a 67 mustang. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for, I know to look for rust in almost every area, but are their other things I should look out for, that may cause problems down the line.

YOu can see the listing here:
1967 Mustang, 6 cylinder, A/T. 77k Miles Original owner!

From what the guy said, he is selling the car for an estate sale, the owners have passed away, and they were the only owners of the mustang. The wife didn't like the color so she took it to one of those $199 dollar car painters, so right of the bat I know the car will have to be repainted. They were very casual drivers and had the car garaged it's entire life Only 77,000 miles.

Basically, I just want to know how to tell if this is a scam and get an idea from other Mustang owners the problem areas I should look out for?
solidGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Some advice needed

just look over it good and try to see if there are any hidden issues that might be covered up by paint. you can get a magnet and pull over the car and see if it loses its pull aka bondo or something about the panel could be messed up~

see how many times its been painted if ever, get under it and check the floor pans and such

just look over all of it good and check for any wreck damage~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Be sure to poke at the floor boards with a screw driver.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #4

I checked the car out pretty thoroughly, and found now rust and no sign it was in a wreck. The mustang has been garaged for years, and only taken out to start and charge the battery.

It sounds like the engine is miss-firing slightly, I think it just needs new spark plugs and a tune up. I saw no signs of oil leaks. When I drove it around the block it was very solid, and sounded good.

The only things I saw that didn't work was the back passenger window didn't roll down and the back driver-side reverse light was out.

I made an offer and will be picking her up on Monday if everything goes well. I made an appointment to get the Mustang tuned up and looked over before I drive her the 50 miles back home.

The paint job didn't look to bad but you can tell it was a cheap job since only the exterior was painted, you can see the original paint when you open the doors, and trunk. I will defienently want to paint it back to it's original color.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Please tell me it wasn't ****ing red. I'm so tired of red early model stangs....

NICE FIND though!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:01 PM   #6

No the original color was "golden" and the color they painted it was brown. My only concern about this car is the 200 ci inline 6. I know I am going to want more power, but the car is in such original condition, I would hate to make modifications.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico

You have to way the pro's and con's of having both. I made my 69 a drag car with a sectioned glass front end. Roll cage with some aluminum sheeting to clean up the back seat. While making these mods, i did not take it past the point of no return. I've kept most of what i removed. My main concern would be body frame damage as it is of a unibody construction.

What you might wanna consider is keeping the six cylinder. You could install a 300 six to keep some of the originality. I think you would have to change the bellhousing, possible the whole tranny. When they are built right, a six can be very competative with a 302. Most of the time with the inline six you will have a definate torgue advantage.

Clifford Performance :: Make 6 = 8

200 cid Clifford Performance: Ford 200

300 cid Clifford Performance: Ford 300 & 223
Drnaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #8

I have decided against the 67 mustang. I was really compromising on what I really wanted. I am looking at a 64 1/2 V8, and a 65 V8 tomorrow morning. I am at a point in my life where there is no point in not getting exactly what I want.

Sorry bullitt482 both of them are red.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have a classic mustang in my garage.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico

Good luck.
Drnaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidGas View Post
Sorry bullitt482 both of them are red.

No apology needed. It's going to be your car. Like you said, there is no reason not to get exactly what you want. Good luck with either .
Old 08-03-2007, 09:23 PM   #11

What was the asking price of the 67? Sounds like a nice find. But I have to admit if you're going to compromise on engine ya gotta get it as a ragtop... Just my thoughts... I just enjoy driving the car and not ripping it up so a nice 67 with solid floors and body gets my attention no matter the engine... But wondering the asking price more out of curiousity than anything else.
jrossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidGas View Post
No the original color was "golden" and the color they painted it was brown. My only concern about this car is the 200 ci inline 6. I know I am going to want more power, but the car is in such original condition, I would hate to make modifications.
Just pull everything out and set it aside if you ever want to go back....
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs