Engine stall trivia - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #1

Question Engine stall trivia

I have a nice 64 1/2 convertible with a 260 V8 that has a un-explained engine stall. Yesterday, I drove over 200 miles without any problems. Today, while on the open highway, I felt the engine beginning to stall. The engine then died. When I tried to restart the engine, it would try to start but seemed like it was "smothering". I let the engine cool for a few minutes and finally, she fired up again and seemed to run smoothly until I got near home and the same thing happened over again. This problem presented itself last season and I discovered a faulty gasket between the carb and intake. After replacing the gasket last year, the problem seemed to be solved until today. I have already replaced the voltage regulator, coil, fuel pump and fuel filter in an effort to fix this. Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this problem?
65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Engine stall trivia

I had a friend that had the same problem with a small block Chevy. Turned out it was a blown headgasket. I would run a compression check across the cylinders first, and see what the reading came out to be.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Power valve on its way out?
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #4

Region: New York

I had a similar problem with my 289. It sat for years so I put an in line fuel filter in front of the carb before I even started driving it. Turns out it wasn't good enough. The problem turned out to be the "screw in" fuel filter sticking out of the front of the carb was so packed with rust and sediment that I couldn't even blow air thru it. I replaced the gas tank and that filter and it's been running great since then. The inside of my old gas tank looked like the Titanic rusting to the ocean floor when I looked in it. Could be sediment in the carb bowl too.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico

Kinda seems to me it may be a vapor locking problem. Do you have any fuel lines that come close to a high heat sourse? If you fuel line gets to hot under driving conditions what happens is the fuel boils in the fuel line. It acts as an air stop for the fuel. Usually when the motor cools they always restart. If you think this may be a problem buy some somewhat fire proof hose cover or you could use tinfoil in a pinch. Rap any line you think is suspect including under the car, by the rear end as exhaust pipe may come close to fuel lines in many places, good luck.
Drnaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #6

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to wayne tovell

Iv'e had this happen to me twice two different cars ,two things try another coil , only happened when the car warmed up and if the car has been sitting i found the fuel line had started to close up with dry fuel, also the filter screen on the sending unit may be clogged check it out good luck post back when you actually find out what it was be interested to hear ... wayne
wayne tovell is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs