Building An Engine From Scratch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Building An Engine From Scratch

First off I'd like to say that I wasn't sure where else to post this so move it if need me.

Now what I would like to do is build a custom engine and get an old Mustang as a project car and have my custom project car. This is a big multi-year process since money is tight. I plan on getting a block then adding the cams, cylinders, etc, etc... and that's what I mean by building an engine from scratch.

Anyway I found just the block from a 1972 Thunderbird. It's a 429, Block Number DIVE 9425B "385" Motor. What I've been told is that V was for Lincoln. However this isn't my concern. What I am wondering is it worth getting the block then just working on building it, creating my own Boss 429 or a Cobra Jet engine? Or the likes?

Or is it worthless and my dream is unattainable? Input? Advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2007, 02:20 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Building An Engine From Scratch

if you know what youre doing then yeah, its worth it. however if youre going to have an engine builder do most the work, their charge plus however much for parts and you might as well just bought a crate motor from summit or the like. i think what, the cobrajet or boss 429's ought to be in the 5-6k range.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm looking at the block, like I noted before, at $150. I'd build the engine myself. While I do not know every little detail, it is something I am looking to do and as a learning process. I also want to know if it'll be worth the time and money and the three hour drive to pick it up. I understand I'll run into problems and I could buy the crate at 6 G's. It's not so much that I wouldn't spare for it, I'm confident when my career is under way I can buy one and afford it. Rather I want to work on the engine myself and in a couple of years perhaps be able to start looking at a car to put the engine in.

I just don't want an engine block sitting in my garage which won't go into anything other than the original T-Bird or a Lincoln.

Hope thats clearer. I'm kinda' going back and forth debating on whether I should go for this project.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
First off I'd like to say that I wasn't sure where else to post this so move it if need me.

Now what I would like to do is build a custom engine and get an old Mustang as a project car and have my custom project car. This is a big multi-year process since money is tight. I plan on getting a block then adding the cams, cylinders, etc, etc... and that's what I mean by building an engine from scratch.

Anyway I found just the block from a 1972 Thunderbird. It's a 429, Block Number DIVE 9425B "385" Motor. What I've been told is that V was for Lincoln. However this isn't my concern. What I am wondering is it worth getting the block then just working on building it, creating my own Boss 429 or a Cobra Jet engine? Or the likes?

Or is it worthless and my dream is unattainable? Input? Advice?
If it's a standard bore 72 should be good. I prefer 68 or 9, there webbing is a little thicker and will take more overbore.
Did it come with a crank and rods? With balanceing you can spin a stock crank around 6500 RPM.
If your planning on using NOS heads i'd try and find late sixty's, again 68 is my Fav. They come stock with small chamber(90 to 100 cc's is small for big block) and some have screw in 3/8's studs for the rocker system. CJ's are the good high flowing head for stockers. SOHC head would be great if you can find them for reasonable? I've got a set of Blue Thunder cylinder heads that are the inch higher exhaust ports. Aftermarket without valvetrain wi cost 1500 or so. Looking at another 2500 for solid valvetrain. The Heads flow very nice with port and polish with a 630 roller. Some thing close of this combo with at least 10 to 1 slugs should get you around 650 horse's. Got me to 11.50 at 5000 feet. Would of been busted into the 10 at sealevel. Not bad for a stock sixtynine not gutted with a 12 point cage.

Speed is money, how fast do you wanna go?
Drnaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
if you know what youre doing then yeah, its worth it. however if youre going to have an engine builder do most the work, their charge plus however much for parts and you might as well just bought a crate motor from summit or the like. i think what, the cobrajet or boss 429's ought to be in the 5-6k range.
To me there is not much greater then building your own.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Well I'm looking at the block, like I noted before, at $150. I'd build the engine myself. While I do not know every little detail, it is something I am looking to do and as a learning process. I also want to know if it'll be worth the time and money and the three hour drive to pick it up. I understand I'll run into problems and I could buy the crate at 6 G's. It's not so much that I wouldn't spare for it, I'm confident when my career is under way I can buy one and afford it. Rather I want to work on the engine myself and in a couple of years perhaps be able to start looking at a car to put the engine in.

I just don't want an engine block sitting in my garage which won't go into anything other than the original T-Bird or a Lincoln.

Hope thats clearer. I'm kinda' going back and forth debating on whether I should go for this project.
Give er hell, info is a close as your keyboard. I got a couple of tech books for big blocks, i'll lend them to ya. You can stick a big block in anything you have a mind too.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drnaline View Post
If it's a standard bore 72 should be good. I prefer 68 or 9, there webbing is a little thicker and will take more overbore.
Did it come with a crank and rods? With balanceing you can spin a stock crank around 6500 RPM.
If your planning on using NOS heads i'd try and find late sixty's, again 68 is my Fav. They come stock with small chamber(90 to 100 cc's is small for big block) and some have screw in 3/8's studs for the rocker system. CJ's are the good high flowing head for stockers. SOHC head would be great if you can find them for reasonable? I've got a set of Blue Thunder cylinder heads that are the inch higher exhaust ports. Aftermarket without valvetrain wi cost 1500 or so. Looking at another 2500 for solid valvetrain. The Heads flow very nice with port and polish with a 630 roller. Some thing close of this combo with at least 10 to 1 slugs should get you around 650 horse's. Got me to 11.50 at 5000 feet. Would of been busted into the 10 at sealevel. Not bad for a stock sixtynine not gutted with a 12 point cage.

Speed is money, how fast do you wanna go?
It's standard bore I know that. I haven't seen it personally, only have a description. I also know that I would have to invest on basically everything. Cylinders, cylinder heads, valve train, rollers, cranks, rods. It is just the casted metal so my options are limitless.

I don't have a set speed to reach or time to make. I just like building, and want to try building an engine.

My next problem is I don't have anywhere to put it (the block itself as I would work on it or a car to put it in). Currently I'm thinking if getting it is worth it. Still haven't thought what I want to put in.

What books? Titles or places where I can pick them up
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 07-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'll have to scrounge around, haven't seen them in a while. Headed back to the lake this afternoon so i minght not get back to you till monday or so. I have built quite a few 429/460's, i know quite a few tricks for them.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

385 series blocks are where its at . We have one lying around for a future project when we come around to it. It's out of a 68 Lincoln Cont according to the original owner. The engine crank rods and pistons were all bought and assmebled but never installed.

Do what drnaline said. The only think I'd recommend would be a set of cobra jet heads or Edelbrock performer heads. The rest is up to you. I've seen those motors bored and stroked up to 598 cubic inches, I'm sure someone has done more. The sky is the limit. Just remember forged is always better, and the better investment in case you decide to go wild further down the road.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah Doc, no rush. I just started to run with the idea but I always love reading material on 429/460 or 302 or whatever knowledge you can lend

Bullit I was running through Ford's Racing Catalog last night (also printed (only half for now) of it at work. Hooray $5 catalog for free) and was thinking of going with the SCJ. I might go for the BOSS 429, especially if I can locate a '71. Although to turn down what may be Ford's greatest production engine ever. Decisions, decisions.

I'm hoping to go with a mostly aluminum setup, to take off some weight. I figure that block probably weighs enough already. Maybe a steel crank though. Hmmm....

I also realized that it will be something around 7.0L with 13 mpg highway/9mpg city. That on this island is a "NO". Too much traffic.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 07-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drnaline View Post
To me there is not much greater then building your own.
true, but if you dont know what youre doing, then its probably not going to last long. all the tolerances to check and whatnot. the least id do is have a shop put the bottom end together, that way its done right (well, as long as the shop is good) and its probably warrantied for labor, so if something ****s up and its because they missed something, boom, new motor for you.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs