70 coupe im looking at - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Region: Minnesota
70 coupe im looking at

i came accross this 70 coupe while just checking out some other cars for my bro and some friends. at first i just over looked it since i liked the older style more than the more plain style here. after looking at pics of some really great done ones i actually got to really liking these too. im not sure ive found many styles i dont care for, theyre all pretty sweet. i have been looking into getting a project car to work on over a while. after getting a 87 and basically farming out all of it and wasting all sorts of money to others i got into working on things more myself and want to have something i can do most of the work on and just farm out what i need to and have something to show for it and to enjoy. my budget for the whole thing isnt going to be huge. i always wanted a fastback, which some day i plan on having, but would feel like a real jerk getting one and not having it done very well. i know i can do decent work on one, but not up to what i would want for a car that deserves great. i have several friends that have done pretty extensive work on restoring/fabricating for cars and motocycles, so i know when i need help they are there too. i just wanted to post and see if theres any comments or concerns or tips or anything for me to keep in mind.
heres some info on the car. its pretty much complete. carpet is out, but as far as trim, chrome, panels, and parts are all there. it has a 302 automatic. theres surface rust around it, but not terribly many cancerous spots (trunk, quarters, fender, maybe some on floor pans). the engine compartment didnt look too bad from the pics. i found replacement panels that arent too bad from year one or aapd. (any suggestions or comments on parts from them would be great too or any other ideas to go to). the owner says he disconnected the gas tank but put some gas in the carb and it ran through that anyway. he didnt say much more. looks like its all original, not been attempted to be restored or anything, which i wouldnt expect it to have been, which is what i was looking for, doing my own work and mistakes and not fixing someone elses. i plan on taking a look at it maybe around feb 19 or 20. he is asking $1275 for it. i thought that price seemed pretty reasonable. i know even restored fairly well it wont have a value of what i will put into it, but i plan on doing it and never selling it. i always plan and do keep my projects for myself and not selling or profit.
like i said, any comments or tips or anything would be greatly appreciated.
i check in on here hopefully once a day or so if theres any questions or anything too.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	693-760x576.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	23176   Click image for larger version

Name:	6910-760x575.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	23177  

Name:	6913-759x574.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	23178   Click image for larger version

Name:	6914-757x572.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	23179  

Name:	6982-758x573.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	23180  
Turro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana
Re: 70 coupe im looking at

thats one hell of project. wont be cheap.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Tib
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

If you have the time/desire then it'll be worth it but it does look like alot of work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to Loraco
Nice body style and it looks like it is in good shape can't wait to see it done!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #5

i plan on not being in a hurry with it and piecing away at it over a few years. i know the costs will add up, but i think to me it will be worth it in the end doing it as a project. ive got a few new connections over the years for helping with things which should cut off some of the costs, and by doing much of the work myself or with someone helping me and not just paying for it all. im not too set on anything with it so that should help with costs too. lots can be as it comes up or shopping around for a while and not have to jump at stuff. it wont be a showroom car, i am not concerned about numbers/originality, it wont have a million dollar sound system, not looking to make a drag car or most powerful around. and i dont mean that dissing anyone that is going for those things, just not my goal. i want something that looks pretty decent and is fun to drive around during the summers.
budget will not be unlimited, but will have fairly good available funds as long as doing it as an ongoing project and not thinking ill do it in any short time.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #6

several of the accquaintances have worked for a restoration place that was local, and when that was shut down started their own with some of the equiptment and all. others have restored several for friends and family of mine, one was my father's first car, a 39 mercury, which was in horrid shape compared to this one, and managed to keep the costs pretty reasonable. and that was all to original for him, which is not a goal of mine. im not going to be unreasonable and think it will be cheap, but i wont make it a fortune either, and thats if i decide to get it when i see it. pics never tell all either. just wanted to put it out and see response
Old 02-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Its a nice lookin project car. Wish i had an older style mustang to do that with
Would love to see it when its finished, good luck on it
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #8

thank ya. i think it will turn out pretty good too, again, if i end up getting it. probably wont do much to it right away, will have to wait til summer so i can clear out some more space in my garage and insulate it so i can use it more in the winters. i do have shop space i can bring things into at work to work in a good shop at times too, so that will help. i have a few months off of work in the winters so i might do that and bring it there then to get some good days working on it at a time and can do a lot of the metal working there.
i know a lot of people are saying how it will cost lots. i think i do have a fairly realistic idea as a ballpark of what it will take if i get it to get it to what i want. like i said, i have friends that will help with parts to cut the cost on lots and i plan on working mostly on it too. i have people that do paint, bodywork, welding/metalwork, motor work/rebuilding, wiring and i plan on doing as much as i can for other work. i know it will take many hours of work, which i plan on doing over a few years, unless i miraculously get huge chunks of time to get things done quicker. i wouldnt dare to estimate how much time i will put in, and i know its a big range guess but would think between $10,000 and $20,000 also. again, thats with getting much of the work at a very cheap or free with assistance rate from friends. i know theres lots that can come up and change costs and everything, but i think as far as my vague estimates from what ive looked into so far and talked to these others about, i think that could end up with a pretty good result
Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turro View Post
i came accross this 70 coupe while just checking out some other cars for my bro and some friends. at first i just over looked it since i liked the older style more than the more plain style here. after looking at pics of some really great done ones i actually got to really liking these too. im not sure ive found many styles i dont care for, theyre all pretty sweet. i have been looking into getting a project car to work on over a while. after getting a 87 and basically farming out all of it and wasting all sorts of money to others i got into working on things more myself and want to have something i can do most of the work on and just farm out what i need to and have something to show for it and to enjoy. my budget for the whole thing isnt going to be huge. i always wanted a fastback, which some day i plan on having, but would feel like a real jerk getting one and not having it done very well. i know i can do decent work on one, but not up to what i would want for a car that deserves great. i have several friends that have done pretty extensive work on restoring/fabricating for cars and motocycles, so i know when i need help they are there too. i just wanted to post and see if theres any comments or concerns or tips or anything for me to keep in mind.
heres some info on the car. its pretty much complete. carpet is out, but as far as trim, chrome, panels, and parts are all there. it has a 302 automatic. theres surface rust around it, but not terribly many cancerous spots (trunk, quarters, fender, maybe some on floor pans). the engine compartment didnt look too bad from the pics. i found replacement panels that arent too bad from year one or aapd. (any suggestions or comments on parts from them would be great too or any other ideas to go to). the owner says he disconnected the gas tank but put some gas in the carb and it ran through that anyway. he didnt say much more. looks like its all original, not been attempted to be restored or anything, which i wouldnt expect it to have been, which is what i was looking for, doing my own work and mistakes and not fixing someone elses. i plan on taking a look at it maybe around feb 19 or 20. he is asking $1275 for it. i thought that price seemed pretty reasonable. i know even restored fairly well it wont have a value of what i will put into it, but i plan on doing it and never selling it. i always plan and do keep my projects for myself and not selling or profit.
like i said, any comments or tips or anything would be greatly appreciated.
i check in on here hopefully once a day or so if theres any questions or anything too.
thanks
great project car ,good luck with it
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hey that looks like a nice car! Yeah it's a lot of work but I've heard that 1970's and later mustang resto parts are quit a bit cheaper then '69 and older I just bought a '67 let me know how the resto goes. I would love to know your tricks.
Bravebowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #11

Thanks. I think it will turn out pretty sweet. Good luck with yours too, I love all those early years. So far just from checking around quickly, some panels and parts are more, and some are less. Kinda hit and miss depending. Still have other places to shop though too. Should be going in two weekends to check it out and decide for sure to get it or not. If I do, think I might get it home when snow is gone and I have my garage more ready for it. I'm always watching for others doing it on here too so keep us posted too. I've read about 20 books on restorations and one of my favorites was "project mustang" following along a restoration. Those books have been my only real reading in years and its well worth it
Old 02-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
Road Trip!

My uncle has a 70 mustang. Nice ride for sure
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Were are you shopping for parts? I'm still kinda lost on where to start shopping... I have found California mustang that so far has had all the parts I have looked for but I would still like to price from more places.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
Old 02-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #14

I just got year one and aapd and a handful of other catalogs coming still. Just getting ideas going through them all. I have a few net suppliers bookmarked on my computer too. I've got like 10 good books and kinda checking out the places they use or suggest in them.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #15

If things work out I want to be able to get a good list and order as much at once as i can. Still have to see what happens. If I get it I want to really go through it before any buying
Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah me too but unfortunately I can't go through my mustang for I am in Orlando and it is in Tuscaloosa... But just like you I want to get a list of things together I want to put on it and do to it before I dive in.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #17

Yeah, that makes it tough for now. Ive been guessing what to check out for estimates from the pics I've seen and gave a rough idea for now. In two weeks I'll be looking to see for sure for buying or not and will go from there for more exact and if I do decide to buy will probably get really into it this summer. So far those two have some highs and lows, just depends. I'm going to make a master list of all and do comparison lists for all the places I find and piece together order ideas too. My budget will work out better after next fall so then can plan more realistically too. That's a big limiter for now too
Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #18

Region: Washington
I am in the middle of a 73 Mach 1 project, more of a restomod and mustangs unlimited has been a great place for parts, both in price and customer service. I have also been ordering through Summit Racing and Jegs, both do a great job.
Mfarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #19

That will be a awesome project. I'm a big fan of those too, just knew it would be out of my reach for now. One buddy that's going to help me some had one years back and almost tore it in half on a telephone pole racing a vette. He still says the power was freakish.
I have them bookmarked and catalogs too. Just been piling up a few and going to do lists and comparisons if things work out with this. I'm heading Saturday to check it out and decide for sure. I went through summit for stuff for my 87 and had great service too. Already found a few things I will plan on getting through there. If I get it and go through it I'll have a better idea though, so far just getting ideas. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfarino
I am in the middle of a 73 Mach 1 project, more of a restomod and mustangs unlimited has been a great place for parts, both in price and customer service. I have also been ordering through Summit Racing and Jegs, both do a great job.
You got pics up for it? I'm just checking from my iPhone now, but when I get to my comp again I can check. Mine will be a restomod too. All things considered it will be best for that one.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #21

I finally got to check out the car in person, and think this one will be a pass... The pics I originally started with getting must have been when the guy acquired the car and it has deteriorated since then. I knew it wouldn't be perfect, but there was much more that needed replacing and work than I was interested for that one. I was hoping to be able to salvage more off it than looked like now. It probably had enough usable on it for a parts car/donor, just not what I wanted to start with. That's fine, it will give me better time to work on my garage and be ready for when one comes up that will work for me. It was more of a disappointment seeing the car rotting away when the pics showed it to be a very doable project.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Awe man that sucks...

Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #23

Yeah, even if I didn't get it it just sucks to see it be a complete loss for anyone. Classic cars should never be left to rot and waste. I'll find a much better project starter, and will be able to start and be set and ready for it then too.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #24

IM working on a 69 coupe that was way worse than that looks. i have done floors had to replace the fenders with fiberglass ones. and putting a 460 in it. I love fastbacks but you dont see many pro touring coupes.
rickyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyracer
IM working on a 69 coupe that was way worse than that looks. i have done floors had to replace the fenders with fiberglass ones. and putting a 460 in it. I love fastbacks but you dont see many pro touring coupes.
I have a 67 coupe and I plan on putting a 351 Windsor in it I would build up that 351 to get 600+ horsepower a small block would be better for street performance. You said you got fiberglass panels, where did you find them?

Old 03-09-2011, 02:20 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Go to maier racing they have all the fiberglass fenders. Here's my 65 coupe it is all fiberglass and I just picked up a 65 fastback with metal fender flares
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2054424872.png
Views:	180
Size:	842.1 KB
ID:	24242   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1054856404.png
Views:	228
Size:	905.5 KB
ID:	24243  

Dmay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay65 View Post
Go to maier racing they have all the fiberglass fenders. Here's my 65 coupe it is all fiberglass and I just picked up a 65 fastback with metal fender flares
man nice stang,very good shape
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yea I think I'm going to get rid of it though, since I just got a flared fastback there really isn't a point to having a flared coupe but we will see what happens if the right price came by I'd let it go most likely
Dmay65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs