1968 Engine Switch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #1

1968 Engine Switch

I have a 68 Conv with a 6cyl. I've got at rebuilt 302 and have gotten mixed advice on what needs to be done to support the 302. One thing I was surprised to hear was that the steering column needs to be upgraded??? I could not find any supporting info for that. Has anyone done this before and what was necessary to upgrade in order to support the 302? A quick bullet list of things would be helpful.

Any advice or hard info would be awesome!!!
jrossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #2

Region: Connecticut
Re: 1968 Engine Switch

I just finished a swap in my 67. Do your self a favor ,order the ford shop manual for your year from a mustang store.Not the haynes or chilton.The manual is like 30$ but worth every penny.If you change the steering in the car flaming river has rack kits that bolt right in.Take your time you'll get it. good luck.
muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #3

Region: Connecticut

I just finished a swap in my 67. Do your self a favor ,order the ford shop manual for your year from a mustang store.Not the haynes or chilton.The manual is like 30$ but worth every penny.If you change the steering in the car flaming river has rack kits that bolt right in.Take your time you'll get it. good luck.
muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 01:35 AM   #4

Region: Louisiana

I agree with the above post on getting a shop manual for your year Mustang, money will spent . You will not have to change out your steering column and what kind of upgrade were they speaking of? You will need to change the front coil spring to V8 type because the I6 springs want properly handle the added weight. You will also need to change over to a V8 radiator and rear end. After changing the rear end you will want to change the front to 5 lug disc/drum brakes to match the rear. Take you time and don't take any short cut especially where safety in concerned.
1966 Mustang Convertible, Candy Apple Red, black interior, black power top, 200 CID I6, Autolite 1100 carb, C4 Auto trans (converted from 3 sped manual), Scarebird 4 lug disc brake conversion and dual master cylinder swap in the process.
RagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagHead View Post
I agree with the above post on getting a shop manual for your year Mustang, money will spent . You will not have to change out your steering column and what kind of upgrade were they speaking of? You will need to change the front coil spring to V8 type because the I6 springs want properly handle the added weight. You will also need to change over to a V8 radiator and rear end. After changing the rear end you will want to change the front to 5 lug disc/drum brakes to match the rear. Take you time and don't take any short cut especially where safety in concerned.
exactly what he said, the springs aren't a must , they will just give it a lowered stance and could bottom out on very large bumps, i always upgrade to a grab-a-track lowering springs
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #6

Thanks guys.. I posted over a year ago and I'm just starting to get hit. The funny part about this is that I just pulled the engine out this past weekend. The I6 is tired and in need of rebuilding.

I will get the shop manual. I'm going to detail the engine bay first while the motor is out and then start on the motor. It's a money thing! little by little
Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #7

couple of pictures for you to see of the engine pull this past weekend!

Jason

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs