Superchargers vs turbochargers - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #36
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
+1
Me 2. Sounds like the best choice. I personally have no experience but of what I've learned I think I would definitely go with a supercharger.
good choice
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
anything can run fast if built right. what i am trying to say is where i live i dont here much of turbocharging unless its in a diesel. most cars and trucks here are supercharged. im fine with turbos and i did consider it. i just prefer superchargers
What did Underground Racing install on their Lambos when searching for serious HP?

Turbos

What does Porsche put on their supercars?

Turbos

What powers the Veyron?

Turbos

What do truck manufacturers when they want to build a truck that will last forever and reliably haul 15K lbs?

Turbos

What do GT500 owners install when they want 1000+ HP?

Usually.....Turbos

Just because the people in your neighborhood don't use them doesn't mean they're inferior.

-Will
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

good choice
Yep.
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #39
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,635
My original statement which may have fueled this fire was based on adding a blower/turbo to a basically stock mustang V8. The cobras and shelby's came with a better bottom end than the gt's and will probably hold up better with a turbo system. If forced induction is the direction you are going with a stock 302 or modular, I've seen a lot more reliability in a SC. With a well built bottom end, a turbo will put down serious power and can be done fairly safely. My recommendation would still be bolt up a SC kit and have fun with it. "recommendation only"
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight F Mohawk

What did Underground Racing install on their Lambos when searching for serious HP?

Turbos

What does Porsche put on their supercars?

Turbos

What powers the Veyron?

Turbos

What do truck manufacturers when they want to build a truck that will last forever and reliably haul 15K lbs?

Turbos

What do GT500 owners install when they want 1000+ HP?

Usually.....Turbos

Just because the people in your neighborhood don't use them doesn't mean they're inferior.

-Will
+1
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
My original statement which may have fueled this fire was based on adding a blower/turbo to a basically stock mustang V8. The cobras and shelby's came with a better bottom end than the gt's and will probably hold up better with a turbo system. If forced induction is the direction you are going with a stock 302 or modular, I've seen a lot more reliability in a SC. With a well built bottom end, a turbo will put down serious power and can be done fairly safely. My recommendation would still be bolt up a SC kit and have fun with it. "recommendation only"
Lol, I think it's moved beyond that Al.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #42
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,635
Yeah me too. Just saying. Hehehe
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #43
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight F Mohawk View Post
What did Underground Racing install on their Lambos when searching for serious HP?

Turbos

What does Porsche put on their supercars?

Turbos

What powers the Veyron?

Turbos

What do truck manufacturers when they want to build a truck that will last forever and reliably haul 15K lbs?

Turbos

What do GT500 owners install when they want 1000+ HP?

Usually.....Turbos

Just because the people in your neighborhood don't use them doesn't mean they're inferior.

-Will
again words put in my mouth. i never said they were inferior. i said that i dont like turbos. i like superchargers. never stated the reliability of the two...
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
My original statement which may have fueled this fire was based on adding a blower/turbo to a basically stock mustang V8. The cobras and shelby's came with a better bottom end than the gt's and will probably hold up better with a turbo system. If forced induction is the direction you are going with a stock 302 or modular, I've seen a lot more reliability in a SC. With a well built bottom end, a turbo will put down serious power and can be done fairly safely. My recommendation would still be bolt up a SC kit and have fun with it. "recommendation only"
One main reason superchargers have dominated the mustang aftermarket for years is the price. I know it's the reason I installed a Vortech on my 93 LX and my 97 Cobra.

The most affordable option for most mustang owners looking for 350-500 RWHP reliably is no longer a supercharger....it is an on3performance turbo kit. They are cheaper, direct bolt on, and can be purchased with a turbo small enough to not leave you worrying about the shortblock.

-Will
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
again words put in my mouth. i never said they were inferior. i said that i dont like turbos. i like superchargers. never stated the reliability of the two...
Oh, so they're not inferior...you just don't like them because your neighbors don't run them?

-Will
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #46
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,635
Now we've stepped into "trolling" probably a few posts back.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
Now we've stepped into "trolling" probably a few posts back.
That's what I'd say if I were wrong too

-Will
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #48
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight F Mohawk

That's what I'd say if I were wrong too

-Will
My point exactly.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #49
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight F Mohawk View Post
Oh, so they're not inferior...you just don't like them because your neighbors don't run them?

-Will
i dont like them for a few reasons. im a short distance drag racer. superchargers help me launch quick easier than turbos. and its just my opinion. why is it such a big deal?
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
My point exactly.
My point exactly

-Will
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #51
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

look its my personal opinion. can we leave it at that. ive tried to explain. i said nothin is wrong with the turbo. so stop trying to say im trashing turbos. im saying i personalty like the superchargers. sorry to start an agreement over nothing
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
soccerfreak2143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Region: Indiana
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight F Mohawk

on3performance turbo kit. They are cheaper, direct bolt on, and can be purchased with a turbo small enough to not leave you worrying about the shortblock.

-Will
never heard of these..? how much do they cost, how much power do they add, safe to run on stock internals? etc...
soccerfreak2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

+1
Lol
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfreak2143 View Post
never heard of these..? how much do they cost, how much power do they add, safe to run on stock internals? etc...
Turbo Kits for Ford Mustangs

Yeah, they're safe to bolt on. Power levels depend on a couple different things.

-Will
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular
 
soccerfreak2143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Region: Indiana
Posts: 636
figures...no v6 setups
soccerfreak2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfreak2143 View Post
figures...no v6 setups
You should e-mail them. They've been really good about coming out w/ new kits as long as there is demand. Half of the kits you see listed there weren't available 18 months ago.

-Will
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #57
Tib
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 540
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

When I do F/I my mustang it'll be a supercharger.
__________________
2003 Roush Mustang GT Stage 2 Package - Current 'Stang
1998 Mustang GT - Previous 'Stang
Tib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stupidfast5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 172
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

This is a silly debate. Pound for pound a properly sized turbo will be much faster.
__________________
2011 Mustang GT Premium, M6, Procharged.
Stupidfast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular
 
DarkShadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight F Mohawk



The most affordable option for most mustang owners looking for 350-500 RWHP reliably is no longer a supercharger....it is an on3performance turbo kit. They are cheaper, direct bolt on, and can be purchased with a turbo small enough to not leave you worrying about the shortblock.

-Will
I just checked out their site. What have you heard about them? Are their kits quality? Just seems cheap for what it is. I wanna do a turbo stang so bad.
__________________

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular
 
DarkShadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,178
Well that sucks. According to the site you have to run a aftermarket k member.
__________________

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #61
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows View Post
Well that sucks. According to the site you have to run a aftermarket k member.
Most turbo systems require this anyway, there's just not enough room for piping. Your only option to keep the factory K-member would be remote turbos...and well...it's just not as cool.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #62
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
DarkShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,734
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

OP, disregard ANY/ALL of the negative information in this thread regarding turbos. Quite possibly any and ALL of the negative aspects mentioned about turbos can, under less than capable hands, apply just as easily to superchargers.

Coming from someone who has had a aftermarket turbo'd car for 5+ years now, they are reliable. You will need to come up with some more specific questions though for better help.

Times like this I really wish we had a negative rep button still to keep people out of forums they shouldn't be in...
__________________
DarkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Superchargers vs turbochargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows View Post
I just checked out their site. What have you heard about them? Are their kits quality? Just seems cheap for what it is. I wanna do a turbo stang so bad.
I have multiple friends w/ these kits on their cars. One of them owns the other half of my website, and he's had two of their kits w/ great results. Another is a good friend...he actually crashed here when he came up to get the car tuned. His car is a stock top end 04 Mach 1, 302 stroker, supporting fuel mods, on3 kit....the car made 69x

-Will
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular
 
DarkShadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight F Mohawk

I have multiple friends w/ these kits on their cars. One of them owns the other half of my website, and he's had two of their kits w/ great results. Another is a good friend...he actually crashed here when he came up to get the car tuned. His car is a stock top end 04 Mach 1, 302 stroker, supporting fuel mods, on3 kit....the car made 69x

-Will
Sweet!
__________________

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turbochargers vs super Jnapoli85 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 4 04-09-2011 01:13 AM
Superchargers LindsayCaitlin Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 19 08-24-2009 11:01 AM
badass turbochargers! mc13 General Mustang Discussion 2 07-06-2005 08:12 PM
Superchargers VS Turbochargers wiarumas Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 24 02-01-2005 06:17 PM
2004 3.8 v6 superchargers Exit_In_Red Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 9 08-10-2004 06:03 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:42 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.