Question about suspension/alignment - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #1

Question about suspension/alignment

Hey all, I'm new to the board, and am a newly owner of my 65 mustang, car originally had a 200 and a 3speed auto, previous owner put a 4 speed and 302 into the car, and I've got another 302 that I'm rebuilding out of the car to swap in to at some point in the near future. My question right now is that I'm not sure what he did in the swap, as I've had to replace wheel bearings and ball joints already, and am having to do tie rods this weekend, but the car itself is going through tires every couple weeks due to a terrible camber issue. Would doing the swap of the front end cause the camber issue I'm having? And I'm running low on cash, so I was looking at shimming the car to adjust the camber, as the camber kit is $100 and then has to be welded into place. So if anyone can give me some suggestions, I would be greatly appreciated. Also, I looked for a suspension area, but couldn't find it.
2ruble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
It the front end was swapped and not aligned then yes you will need to get it aligned.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #3

Well I got an alignment once already, and the shop says the camber wasn't off, but I'm getting excessive tire wear on the outer inch of my tires, to the point that I can get a tire, and two weeks later worth of driving, there's steel showing on the outer tread. I've replaced the front two tires about five times, and the back two are fine still, I've been driving the car for a few months. Looking at the car it looks like it should be getting bad tire wear there, so my question I guess, without purchasing the camber kit, and then having to find someone to weld it in, can I just get some shims/washers and add it to the control arm somewhere to make it camber out? Until I get a little more money together and then get the camber kit? Thanks for responding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ruble
Well I got an alignment once already, and the shop says the camber wasn't off, but I'm getting excessive tire wear on the outer inch of my tires, to the point that I can get a tire, and two weeks later worth of driving, there's steel showing on the outer tread. I've replaced the front two tires about five times, and the back two are fine still, I've been driving the car for a few months. Looking at the car it looks like it should be getting bad tire wear there, so my question I guess, without purchasing the camber kit, and then having to find someone to weld it in, can I just get some shims/washers and add it to the control arm somewhere to make it camber out? Until I get a little more money together and then get the camber kit? Thanks for responding.
Try caster camber bolts, idk what sites you can get them at, but they're like $30 and you can get it aligned better. Anybody have some sites to find them?
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
I would take it back to the shop and make them double check. . Sounds like they are off
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #6

Yeah, I feel ya. But without something like shims, camber plates, or camber/caster bolts, how would they adjust the camber?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
A lot of shops hate doing the old mustangs and you now know why. They are a real pain. Let's see if the shop is right ( make sure they actually know what they are doing) then when you lift the car the alignment is on. So things that could cause it to shift back and forth are all the front end bushings. If the lower control arm bushings are shot then that lower are will move all over the place. Also the idler arm bushing. It's only about ten bux and it gets worn super easy. Others to check are tie rods inner and outer, strut rod bushings, and make sure everything is snug. It's trial and error on these cars. So if you go threw all that and it's still there then you need to consider the history of the car. Before you bought it how was it used if at all and if the front clip has been swapped out do to a fender bender it is very common and when welded back on it might have been off. Hope this helps let us know how it goes
Dmay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Also dis they give you the specs sheet on your car alignment?
Dmay65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs