Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Help converting 3-speed to 5-speed, please!

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Drnaline 
#1 ·
Hi,

Currently I have access to two FREE cars with 5-speed transmissions. One is a 1981 Toyota Celica. The other is a 1988 V6 Toyota Camry. The Celica is rear wheel drive, and the Camry is front wheel drive.

My dad suggested taking the 5-speed from the Toyota Celica and putting it into my 67, 200, v6, 3-speed Mustang. I found one website in Australia where this transmission (W50) was put into quite a few other cars, including early model Ford Falcons.

Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction to get more information on whether a swap from either Toyota would work in my 67 Mustang?

Thanks.

Gayle

#3 · (Edited)
:uhh: Sorry man but I would never consider doing that. Is a 81 Celica even a RWD car? You could probably get a T5 out a junk yard for cheap and convert it to fit your Mustang much easier/cheaper than you could put a Toyotas 5 speed in a Mustang. But if I was to guess its not even possible to put a 5-speed Toyota tranny in a Mustang. You've got bellhousings among other things to consider.

#4 ·
Yes, it is a front wheel drive.

By the way, the W50 transmission has been put into various older model cars. I have found a company in Australia (Dellow Automotive) that has put the W50 transmission into a variety of other cars, including early model Ford Falcons. The early Mustang is based on the early Ford Falcon. I emailed them a few days ago, but they have not responded.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.