Problems with the engine swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Region: Europe
Problems with the engine swap

Hello everybody

I once had a 170ci engine in my mercury comet (same as the '64 Mustang),
but because it was worn out i bought a 200ci engine that comes from a '68 mustang i had a manual 3 speed behind the first one and kept is behind the other one but it was out of balance.
people told me that it was the flywheel (what sounded reasonable) but i bought an other flywheel from a mustang garage here in holland ans they said that, that one would fit for the 200ci but when i was trying that flywheel to fit my car i came tot the conclusion that it was larger then the older one and that the gearbox won't fit over the flywheel anymore.

Does anyone know how i can set this right?
Or does anyone know what kind of automatic gearbox i can fit whit the 200ci and which modifications i must make to let that fit.

Hope to hear some options cause i don't know how i can solve this

Joerir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Illinois
Re: Problems with the engine swap

The original auto trans that would have some with the 200 in the mustang would have been a ford cruise-o-matic. Though it looks like there may have been 2 different types.

I believe you can mount up a c3 and/or c4 will mount up with the right bell housing. I know a couple die hard ford gear heads (my dad and one of his friends) that would know. I will ask tomorrow and get back to you tomorrow.
1986 GT T-Top. Driving Project
Otlaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs