Mustang Evolution Forum banner

66 engine and trans rebuild

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  gc19662007 
#1 ·
So guys I am having the 289 in my dad's old 66 redone and also having the c4 rebuilt at the same time. I plan to pull the engine and trans out of the car and drop them at there respective shops. I have never pulled the motor but I have done almost everything short of pulling it. So I have questions. I was thinking I could lift the car a bit, remove the radiator, then pull both at once. Is that the best way or do I need to remove the trans then pull the motor? The next and most important question; what should I replace with new parts? Keep in mind I am having the motor rebuilt to stock and same with the trans. I am probably going to go with a new starter, rebuilt carb, new bigger radiator with electric fan and an electric fuel pump. This is a running car but has problems with really low oil pressure. As for the trans, if I have the engine out I figured I may as well have it redone. The car has been a weekend toy for years. I have kept it up since my dad passed away but now it's time to bring it to LA and I want it in top running shape out here. So what would you guys recommend?

#2 ·
I just pulled the whole driveline out of my 66 coupe. I couldn't do it in one shot, so to make it easy, unbolt the engine and pull them separately and don't forget to drain the transmission fluid or you will have a big mess on the garage floor.
With the exception of the 350ci and a little bit of experience with a 454ci, I have not torn into engines much but have worked on and slapped new ones in. I don't know of any problems or weak links in a 289 that could be resolved while it's out for rebuild, I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge than mine in here can answer that one. I didn't plan on reusing my 289 so I didn't do any research on it.
But, while its out I would definantly have the oil pressure issue looked at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.