Starting issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Starting issue

I have a 1965 mustang with a 289 2b

I've had it for awhile and since day one it has had trouble starting. I have to turn the key and press on the gas for 10 minutes before the thing fires. Once the engine is warm it takes less time but, still a hard time to start. I've tried the simple stuff like changing the battery and what not but, still same problem. Even with the new battery I have to charge it after it sitting for 3 days. Any help why it can't hold a charge or start up?
Pearson289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The startup issue is the carburetor. A simple rebuild should do the trick. While your at it, swap on an edlebrock performer intake and matching 4bbl carb. Nice way to add 20-30 HP in a few hours.

The battery loosing charge is interesting. Since there aren't too many electrical components on a 65, I'd just start eliminating things one at a time. Radio is a good place to start. Also verify that all if the grounds are making solid contact.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Chief has a good point....I just had the same issue with my 67. Took the battery out, recharged it. First thing I checked was my alternator, with the car running I just disconnected my battery. The car was still running, so it ok. I'll wait a couple of more days and I'll see if it's being drained. Another good point he made was thank god these cars are simple to wrk on!! If I figure out my prob this wk I'll post it.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I got a new alternator and tried the wires. I thought for sure it was the wires once I saw how badly they were worn out but, still no fix. Thank you for the advice I will start on the carburetor...however I need a complete engine rebuild soon anyways. One step at a time I guess.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I feel your pain, I had mine out for 4 months getting all the work done! Engine rebuild, floor and frame repairs...all kinds of work!! Lots of work and beaucoup $$$ but it's worth it !! Take your time.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #6

Region: Missouri
I had the same problem with my car. So, I'm going to suggest what my father in law told me I needed to do. I had no idea, having never owned a car older than 1984. Do you step on the gas to set the choke before you try to start the car? Without fuel injection, you need to step on the gas pedal to shoot gasoline into the carburetor in order for the car to start. I didn't know that, and kept stepping on my gas pedal trying to start the car, and wound up flooding it. You probably know this, but if you're a new, first time classic car owner, like myself, maybe this is your problem.
Emachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I owned a 66 Newport before the mustang so I was familiar with the art of flooding and the occasional shot gun blast from the exhaust ( always great when in a parking lot). Yes I suppose half the fun is the restoring but, oh don't even remind me about all the work that needs done on the frame and floor.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Lol !!! Hey if there wasn't any work to be done we'd all go to a dealer and buy a new one!! And then get bored in 6 months!!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I hear that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs