V8 ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
V8 ?

I'm getting ready to buy a v8 to put in my mustang I have a l6 in it now. Which is the best v8 for high power motors ?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I would stay with a small block based on a 302. Gives you more room in the engine bay to actually work on the car. A 347 stroker would be real nice.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Also depends on what your doing with the car, a big stroke isn't a good idea if you plan on driving it regulary
Dmay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: V8 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
I'm getting ready to buy a v8 to put in my mustang I have a l6 in it now. Which is the best v8 for high power motors ?
351W
It isn't much larger than the 302 and the factory block is much stronger than the 302's.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yes if you are looking for more horsepower and reliability then 351 Windsor is the way to go. You can get much more power with less work
Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #6

I have a 65 mustang and I'm currently dropping a 351 W It's a tight fit but I think that it would totally be worth it. Go for the 351
pantonio93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You guys got me I'll put a 351w in. Will it work with a c4 with the right bellhousing?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
You guys got me I'll put a 351w in. Will it work with a c4 with the right bellhousing?
Yes, it uses the same transmissions as the 302's.
I'd go for an AOD though for much better gas mileage.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm going to switch it over to a Manuel eventually just need the money. And want a v8 first haha
Old 03-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

You'll probably find yourself quite happy with an automatic. If you do switch to manual, better look into a Tremec 6spd(T6060 or similar) so you won't have to keep rebuilding the manual and you'll maintain higher economy than a 5spd.

351W is the only way to go if high power is an end goal. Once you get that block, consider forged internals for the rotating assembly and a set of high flowing heads. A well built 351(stroker) can offer over 600hp N/A and getting that from a 302 will at very least, require an R block.
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #11

An automatic c4 is great but who doesnt want a manual transmission. just make sure that your rear end could handle all of the product of that 351
Old 03-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I know I already have a 8in going to swap it out for a 9in locker
Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #13

Yep with a solid 9 in rear end you'll have no problems
Old 03-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If only money grew on trees. And stuff auto parts were cheep haha

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

And if* damn autocorrect
Old 03-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah I know I already have a 8in going to swap it out for a 9in locker
An 8.8 traction lock out of a 79-93 will probably serve your purposes and they are quite a bit lighter than the 9".
Old 03-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
An 8.8 traction lock out of a 79-93 will probably serve your purposes and they are quite a bit lighter than the 9".
Not to mention less expensive, but there must be a 9" out there already made to bolt right into his car and he'd probably have to remove and replace the perches of any 8.8, which can be a hassle. He'd also have to cut the ends off and set up the bearings like a 9" with C-clip eliminators if he's going to drag race the car(if it's going to be quick). I've done this myself and kept costs down vs a 9," but not without hassle/work.

Going to the 9" is fine, but don't just think any old 9 will do. You're going to snap axles if you don't get the right ones, for example. Find(buy) 31 spline stuff.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by All41 View Post
Not to mention less expensive, but there must be a 9" out there already made to bolt right into his car and he'd probably have to remove and replace the perches of any 8.8, which can be a hassle. He'd also have to cut the ends off and set up the bearings like a 9" with C-clip eliminators if he's going to drag race the car(if it's going to be quick). I've done this myself and kept costs down vs a 9," but not without hassle/work.

Going to the 9" is fine, but don't just think any old 9 will do. You're going to snap axles if you don't get the right ones, for example. Find(buy) 31 spline stuff.
There are 9" and 8.8" rear ends both made to bolt in, but you are talking a lot of money for those pre-fabbed units.
Plus most 9" rearends other than those specially fabricated for the car are going to be too wide to work and will require housing and axle shortening, perch relocation, etc., etc..

The 79-93 8.8 should come real close to being a workable width, but he'd have to measure to be sure.
It's relatively easy and inexpensive to cut off the newer style control arm mounts and weld on some spring perches.
The stock C-Clip axles will hold up fine unless he starts launching hard with slicks on the car.

He can either install the C-Clip eliminators, or cut off the housing ends and replace those and the bearings with the 9" style if he needs to. He won't need to do both.

My 86 GT has the 8.8 rearend, the engine in the car puts out 405 HP and roughly 380 ft lbs of TQ at the crank. The axles are stock C-Clip 28 spline axles and they have held up for over 10 years and countless launches on drag radials and street tires. I think he will be fine using the 8.8 unless he plans on high RPM launches on slicks like I said before.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

He said right off, "high power" and to me, that means over 500rwhp, so I took for granted he'd need something serious. The 8.8 can be built to do the job. I used an 8.8" with my 408W build and it never had an issue. I did switch to outer bearings, etc. though, because the rules required C-clip eliminators.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe he should look into a 1977-81 Lincoln Versailles or 66-77 Bronco... That one might just bolt right in, but he would need to re-route brake lines. It's like 3/4" wider than the original Mustang width.

The only C-clip eliminator kits I'm familiar with require cutting the axle tubes and installing 9" style bearings. Not to say there aren't others, but he's looking for performance stuff.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Bolts to the housing ends.

Replacement Weld on Non C-Clip Housing End
Requires Seals & Bearings
Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bolts to the housing ends.

Replacement Weld on Non C-Clip Housing End
Requires Seals & Bearings
Yup... Those either require bearings, or include them(top photo). That's the only style I've ever seen. They also require cutting off the ends of an 8.8"(or 7.5) axle tubes. You're either cutting or welding or both. My welding may have just been the inside end of the axle tubes.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ha I don't think I'll be getting over 500rwhp anytime soon. I'll be dropping pretty much stock 351w in maybe some aluminum heads and oversized pistons. I won't do upgrades until I get subframe connectors and some other body stiffeners and supination upgrades

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Suspension
Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yup... Those either require bearings, or include them(top photo). That's the only style I've ever seen. They also require cutting off the ends of an 8.8"(or 7.5) axle tubes. You're either cutting or welding or both. My welding may have just been the inside end of the axle tubes.
The top ones just bolt to the existing housing ends and the bearings are included. There is no welding required with them.

The bottom housing ends are really a better way to go, but they require more work, welding and more parts. I intend to use those and shorten my existing housing by 1" on each side for better wheel fitment.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:04 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ha I don't think I'll be getting over 500rwhp anytime soon. I'll be dropping pretty much stock 351w in maybe some aluminum heads and oversized pistons. I won't do upgrades until I get subframe connectors and some other body stiffeners and suspension upgrades
You may just throw nitrous at it... Decently built, with a 150 shot... over 500rwhp just like that.

Quote:
The top ones just bolt to the existing housing ends and the bearings are included. There is no welding required with them.
It requires cutting the axle tubes. It's not a big issue, but could turn into one in about a nano-second.

Quote:
The bottom housing ends are really a better way to go, but they require more work, welding and more parts. I intend to use those and shorten my existing housing by 1" on each side for better wheel fitment.
Some think they're better, but most don't have any trouble from the older, easier style. I'd go with the 9" style because in the end, it's less expensive. You get the kit and get the bearings pressed onto the axles and you're nearly done. Just cut the tubes, clean up and put it together. With the other style, you're welding for sure. Then you've gotta source bearings and seals(or sealed bearings). Gets time consuming and expensive.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #24
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
You may just throw nitrous at it... Decently built, with a 150 shot... over 500rwhp just like that.

It requires cutting the axle tubes. It's not a big issue, but could turn into one in about a nano-second.

Some think they're better, but most don't have any trouble from the older, easier style. I'd go with the 9" style because in the end, it's less expensive. You get the kit and get the bearings pressed onto the axles and you're nearly done. Just cut the tubes, clean up and put it together. With the other style, you're welding for sure. Then you've gotta source bearings and seals(or sealed bearings). Gets time consuming and expensive.
OK, I'll admit I'm having a hard time understanding what you are saying.

You seem (to me) to be saying that the top, first picture I posted of C-Clip Eliminators, require cutting and welding the axle tubes. Right?
They do not require you to cut the axle tubes. They bolt directly to the existing housing ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Engineering
Safety hubs (C-Clip Eliminators), which were originated by Strange Engineering, are required by drag racing rules for good reason. C-clip type axles are retained by a clip above the spline portion of the axles. When the stock axle or differential breaks, the entire axle/brake/wheel assembly can slide completely out of the housing. Strange's safety hubs eliminate wheel loss and worn bearing areas. The bearings are retained and the axles are held securely in place by the safety hubs, which are bolted to the stock axle housing through the existing backing plate holes.

The second, bottom picture is of a 9" style housing end. They do require cutting off the existing housing ends and welding the new ones in place, then you add seals, bearings and retainer plates for 9" style axle retaining.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Just go to the local junkyard and pick up a Lincoln versaille. Also the older rancheros had a 9 that'll fit, that's what I have under mine and it already has a handy bottom drain plug. Mine is out of a 59.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #26
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay65 View Post
Just go to the local junkyard and pick up a Lincoln versaille. Also the older rancheros had a 9 that'll fit, that's what I have under mine and it already has a handy bottom drain plug. Mine is out of a 59.
Wow, that rearend is as old as I am.

Do you by chance know what the width is on the factory rearends?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

You know what I was just under there last week or so getting measurements for rim offsets and tub measurements and I took it and I have it written down somewhere, I'll have to find it. But yea, currie uses the older style housings now to. I might have this one trusted up a little because the center housing is almost round, so it doesn't tapper down for added strength. I bought rims meant for classic stangs and it put me perfectly lined up with the inside of the fender. Couldn't be more than an inch longer overall
Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OK, I'll admit I'm having a hard time understanding what you are saying.

You seem (to me) to be saying that the top, first picture I posted of C-Clip Eliminators, require cutting and welding the axle tubes. Right?
They do not require you to cut the axle tubes. They bolt directly to the existing housing ends.
I'm saying they do require cutting because they do. Not necessarily what some would call the tube, though it is the end. I know this because I installed P/N 9300 on a car myself and it is "Step 3" of the rear end housing preparation, according to the instructions with the kit.

Here... straight from Moser... http://www.moserengineering.com/mose...tion.05.10.pdf
Old 03-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #29
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I'm saying they do require cutting because they do. Not necessarily what some would call the tube, though it is the end. I know this because I installed P/N 9300 on a car myself and it is "Step 3" of the rear end housing preparation, according to the instructions with the kit.

Here... straight from Moser... http://www.moserengineering.com/mose...tion.05.10.pdf
Oh ok, I see now that you need to make a cut to trim off the end of the snout.
I hadn't ever seen that before and was told that they were a bolt on by Greg several years ago. Evidently that has changed. My bad.

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for posting that link.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

It's all good!

The job is "scary" but anyone with a remotely steady hand can probably do it. I don't recommend a hacksaw. Instead, I used a reciprocating saw. Much quicker and less painful! My 1st cut was off a little, but the assembly fit. We(my brother, the rear end/manual transmission builder in the family) were concerned about leaking, but it was apparently straight enough to get a good seal. He was nice enough to set the lash in my gears.

Btw, you'd asked about the width of the original stuff. That 8" and any 9" Ford put into the 1st Mustangs would be 57.25" wide as I remember. I have a 66 sitting under a carport(my dads car), but I'm too lazy to measure again. As I recall, the 57-59 Ranchero wagon is the same width, but the spring perches are in a different location. The 67-70 Mustang is 2" wider, at 59.25" and finally, the Granada/Versailles and 66-77 Bronco(I mentioned earlier) is 58" with 1 note in mind. I've also read that the Versailles is 58.5" so... I have a customer using that in his hotrod. If I see him again soon, I'll ask.

Sorry for the hijack, btw. I should've started a thread on this topic by itself.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #31
Road Trip!
Supporter

Yeah, we did hijack his thread, Sorry about that Travis. If it is an issue I can separate it out? Just let me know.

Thank you for the information K Twisted.
I appreciate it.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Haha no it fine don't worry about it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs