Funny floor work???? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hey everybody, I got a very important question! I noticed as I was getting ready to put on new scuff plates on my 67 fb, and I realized as I peaked under my seats that the floor panel that would normally be there, isn't. What I see under the seats are 2 metal like L shape bars. One in front and in back, and that's what the seats are bolted down too. Now my question is, is that how it was made originally? And if not, has anyone ever seen this type of repair work? I posted a photo of what I thought all floors looked like. I will post a picture of mine. PLEASE give me some input guys!! My worst nightmare is that this was some type of conversion project and that these are not the floors from a FB.

Now don't forget that not my car, that's just a pic I found online for comparison. I will post mine soon....

If u guys can see the new pics, the prev owners taped some sheet metal in between the metal L brackets. I suppose it was so that carpet wouldn't sag in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-990577470.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	43607   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1602304466.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	43622  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1585448159.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	43623  
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mine is not a 67 (66 coupe) but I believe they used the same floors from 64 to 70ish. I've just completed driver and passenger side floor pans and seat bases a couple of days ago. From the pics it looks like they possibly replaced the front and rear floor pans and Mickey moused the mid sections. I've read about lowering the seats for more head room and not sure if that was their solution to accomplish that.
Personally, I'd rather have some extra metal between my butt and the pavement.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc19662007
Mine is not a 67 (66 coupe) but I believe they used the same floors from 64 to 70ish. I've just completed driver and passenger side floor pans and seat bases a couple of days ago. From the pics it looks like they possibly replaced the front and rear floor pans and Mickey moused the mid sections. I've read about lowering the seats for more head room and not sure if that was their solution to accomplish that.
Personally, I'd rather have some extra metal between my butt and the pavement.
I'd say that if the seat and floor structure is sound/safe & happy with seat height, I'd remove the taped in sheetmetal and weld it in. If not, I'd replace the entire floor with a long pan and a factory sear base. Mine was rusted out so that wasn't much of a decision for mine. It took me about 8 hours start to finish per side. I cut out all the old, grinder all the spot welds down, prepped surfaces, and ran full welds around the perimeter with a 1 inch overlap of the original flooring along the tunnel and rear seat pan. I replaced the floor to firewall panels as well and fully welded the subframe underneath to the new metal.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Or they just dropped the seat base height only. I'm hitting the whiskey and apologize for multiple responses. I just think of something to add after I post.
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What really confused me was the fact that they went and color matched the original green color when they did the work. So when I noticed the floor work, I thought for sure that's the way it came. But I try and do as much reading as I can, so when I see info about conversion jobs coupe/fb I pay attention just in case! The last thing I need after all the repairs and $$$ I spent on my 67, is to find out this was some shimmy sham. But I REALLY appreciate your feedback on my thread! I'm just about to finish some interior work, I think next winter I'll take out the seats and carpets. Make those repairs on the floors and heat & sound proof the car a little better. Everytime I open up something on this car I find surprises!! Just freaks me the F__ck out when I see prev owners do crap work and cut corners. Anyways, thanks buddy!
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs