Need advice urgent! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Need advice urgent!

I took my 66mustang to the shop. Just to fix a parking break and the horn.
They told us the exhaust need to be changed. We accepted. Then we got the electric ignition, the LED lights and other stuff...total 1,400. Now they say the gas tank is rusted and want 550 more.

I know it is possible to need all that, but 2000 already seems too much for a long term project car.
Mustana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Re: Need advice urgent!

It costs a lot of money to rebuild an old car...

I bought my chevelle for $150 and already had an engine/tranny/suspension ready... and the car ended up costing about $6000 more by the time we had it finished... and I'm still not even close to finished...

It's expensive man.... but since you have been taking it to a shop... it's gonna be unreal... I'd just take your time and do it yourself if you want to save some $
*72 C10, 350, Auto, (my Daily Driver)
bmabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

A fairly expensive tank is still likely under $250. Add a new sender for about $60 and you're looking at $300 for parts. If you need straps as well, there a bit more. If it needs the tank and sender(good time to replace it), that price may actually be fair.

Seems off on my part probably, but I'd have suggested looking over the car and determining what needed repair before upgrading to the stuff that looks/sounds cool 1st. I mean, if I was running the shop.
All41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
All41 makes a very good point ! These cars can become never ending money pits, and we all go down that road. Just make a list of the absolute necessary items that need repairs and do those only. The thing that I've learned about these cars is that to change one piece you need to change 3 other pieces! So odds are your 2000$ quote will be over.....I guaranty it. I'm very careful with money and when all was said and done my budget went over by 7000$. So the KEY is priorities. Good luck.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys.
It is really helpful to read all of you.
I just wanted to make sure it is expected to spend so much. I am a girl and sometimes feel like not knowing much of mechanics can led to mechanics charging me more than the fair amount.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I bought my coupe when I was 17 and since day one I have taken a little money out of every pay check. Let the pile grow with time and check off one thing at a time. Just remember the building of your dream car is the best part and it makes it that much sweeter when you see the finished product.
Pearson289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
So true Pearson, everyone I've met with hotrods or muscle cars have told me the same thing. One thing at a time. B/w that's what this forum is here to do, help each other out!! I've been into mustangs for about 15 yrs now. I'm on my 4th mustang and I'm still learning. So you're not alone mustana.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I bought my car for 800 and have spent 13g on it. Your total will add up very fast if you do f watch your self. But then again my car was a total rust bucket when I got it haha
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You need to learn to do some of that stuff on your own. Horn and Em Brake isn't difficult at all. If you hire it all out it will eat you up.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

Ooops i missed the part about you being a girl. Still, you should be careful and use someone you trust.
mike Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustana
Thanks guys.
It is really helpful to read all of you.
I just wanted to make sure it is expected to spend so much. I am a girl and sometimes feel like not knowing much of mechanics can led to mechanics charging me more than the fair amount.
My advice is learn all you can!.. Unfortunately because your a girl some mechanics will try to take advantage of you!... But because your a girl that don't mean you can't learn to fix a car just as well as any guy!.. Even if you don't do the work your self, you need to learn how each repair is done!.. That way you can tell if some one is trying to screw you over!..

Plus do as much of the work your self, so that way you can save more cash in the end!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

that seems high to me for a gas tank. they are 100 bucks from npd, and 400 to install it seems expensive
buck3405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well my husband has been reading a lot about it and he is trying to fix the most he can also. So that will help save and what he learns will always be good too!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Putting in your own gas tank is pretty simple do it yourself if you have the time.
LukeRailey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Just purchased my new gas tank. I bought the one with drain in bottom. Also purchased new sending unit , new install bolts, new rubber filler tube, new screws for filler tube, new gasket for filler tube and new gasket for sending unit. I am reusing the clamps for the rubber filler tube and the filler tube. It is a good quality made in Canada. Bought from local Mustang shop in Seattle. Bel-Kirk Mustangs. Matt is very knowledgable and would help you out. I know Virginia Mustang has a nice quality tank American made. It is something you and your husband can do. Google and YouTube are great for tutorials. You can do it and you will feel much better doing it yourself......btw I paid $ 250 for all the parts. Good luck!!
Seattle66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs