New to the Classics - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
New to the Classics

Hey guys,
I'm a Marine that just recently returned home from Afghanistan. All the while I was over there all I could think about was "If I go home, my present to me is going to be a nice classic car" (I've loved cars in general since I was young). I already own a 2000 V6 Mustang and love it to death, so when I drove by and saw the 1967 California Special Mustang that was for sale at a vintage car lot, I just couldn't help myself. It currently has a 289 for the engine and is a 3 speed. My question is whether this is a good buy or not. The car is completely re-done and is in beautiful condition, and I know this for a fact because I had one of my friends who is an mechanical instructor for VW come in and take a look at it (he also owns a 69' Charger RT, so he knows about the classics as well). He said that it was a beautiful car and from what he could check there was nothing wrong with it. I test drove it and it ran wonderfully. I was able to talk the guy down from $25,000 to $19,000. I would just like to get your guys' advice with this, any comment would be greatly appreciated.
CPL Ahern is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: New to the Classics

Here is a picture of the car in case you guys where wondering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Westbrook-20120421-00325.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	48845  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If it's a true cs and as clean as the pic makes it look then I could see that happening. Just make sure you spend some time going through the entire thing for all the usual rust spots and how it drives, is it tight, does the motor run solid, does it have ac, pb, ps? All things you need to consider and things you can work in our favor to get a good deal, plus look around in your area to see what the prices are at, go look at some other ones in the same price range and compare them
Dmay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Like dmay said, check it all over. The entire thing make sure it's solid and well done with receipts. Last thing you want is to get it and get home to find out something on the car is cheaply done. Thanks for your service! And the car looks beautiful. I say go for it if it looks clean throughout
Whitestang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I think $19k is a very strong price for this car. Looking at the hood scoop installation makes me question how well any other repairs do upgrades were done to this car.

That scoop is showing daylight underneath it which completely incorrect. Also check out the side scoops and see how they were mounted. Where both these scoops come in contact with the sheet metal of the car, there should be some sort of filler that smooths out the contact surfaces. Look around the web for mustangs with hood scoops and you will what I mean.

Also, check around and see if you can find one from an individual, you will more than likely get a better deal on the car.

Also, if he is willing to drop $6k off the price, that means he prolly only paid maybe $8,000 for that car. I'm just swaggin there but that's my gut feeling on it.

Look at the other thread in this section about " new to classics" for some real good advice on what to look for. You can try looking for a mustang at www.Hemmings.com as well.

Best of luck!

D
Sainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it looks like they used the wrong type off scoop for a bolt on. The bolt on ones are supposed to have a lip that rolls inside under the scoop and thats where the bolts are. The one on this car looks like the bond on style one and the they shaved the outer lip? Good catch, take a close look at finishing work like that. It looks like disks up front, no side mirrors?, maybe get some more pics of the car and post them and we can take a look at them.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

They only made California Special's one year, 1968. So if this car you looking at is a 1967, it's not a Special.
www.facebook.com/OperationMustang - LIKE the Show
www.Youtube.com/CutUpMan2 - Free How-To Videos
MustangRestoration@Hotmail.com
theStangMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yea plus one to the doc that totally slipped my mind, you can also look at the back tail panel to see if it's open for the Shelby or tbird style lights. Also if it has the duck tail
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ya, passenger mirror was an upgrade for these cars. I think a true CS came with that mirror as part of the package.mans those side scoops can be bought for like $37 or so.

I have a pair on mine that are gonna get round filed once I start on the body work.

Also, be very careful dealing with car lots, they LOVE dealing with young military guys since we have "guaranteed" income. They will zap the **** outta ya on interest rates too if you're not careful. I have seen so many of my guys get taken to the cleaners that way even after telling them about it.

If you have the cash to pay for the car outright,I wouldn't use it. I would put that cash in an account at usaa and use it as collateral to finance the car you want. Ya it will mean a car note but, it will help build credit and it's not like you don't have the cash to pay off that note at any time.

Don't be afraid to look on eBay for vehicles or even Craigslist. You can find some decent cars that way. You will also see a lot of junkers and learn a lot by looking at them. That's one of the things I did and man did I learn a lot doing that!

There are plenty of mustangs to be had out there. Don't rush into buying one, I promise you, there is always a bigger, better deal out there on these cars!

Check out that other thread about new to classics as well. Ton of good info in there from several people.

D
Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a lot guys, will use the advice well. Appreciate it.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Np anytime
Old 05-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

take your time and find something right for you. And thank you for serving our country!
buck3405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs