New to mustangs and needs help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #1

Region: Washington
New to mustangs and needs help!

I purchased a 66' mustang awhile ago, my rear end went out after I purchased it. I love this car so much and haven't had any luck finding a 4 lug rear end to replace the one I have now. So I made the decision I want to buff it up a little. I'm upgrading to a 5 lug rear, and want to put a bigger engine in it (people around here think 289 would be nice, I don't know anything about them.) I want to know what I will be getting into. What's better 289, or 302 and why (besides hp) just I guess basic opinions. Any tip is appreciated.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I would recommend the 302 simply because you have so many options with them. The aftermarket makes lots of products for them and parts are easier to find. As for your rear end I recomend a 5 lug for sure. But don't know enough about them to comment further.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: New to mustangs and needs help!

Please go to this thread by following this link so I don't have to type all this stuff all over again:

New to classics need some insight

It will answer questions about the the L6 to v8 swap at the very least.

You should be able to find a new 4 lug, 7.25" rear for next to nothing. Heck, I just threw one away a few weeks ago.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Are you in Washington state or DC?
Sainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #4

I'm in Washington state :p
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Too bad, I know a couple places to get parts in the DC/NJ area.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #6

Aww darn! All good though. Thanks for pointing me to that forum. I also think I'll go the 8 route. Now for my classic question though 289 or 302 and why? And thanks again to the both of you for replying.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well, they are really the same motor (block). It's just that the 302 has a longer stroke set by the crankshaft and little bit longer cylinder wall to stop piston rattle, well the newer motors do anyway. At least that's my very layman's understanding of it all.

I would say 289 if you want to stay more true to the original design of the mustang. 302/351 if you're looking to make a racer but, that's gonna be a ton of money, time and heartburn.

The 302 is a great engine and as said above has a ton of upgrades available. I seriously looked at going 302 before a 289 pretty much landed in my
lap.

But, no matter which engine you choose, upgrade that front end suspension first!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
Aww darn! All good though. Thanks for pointing me to that forum. I also think I'll go the 8 route. Now for my classic question though 289 or 302 and why? And thanks again to the both of you for replying.
The only physical difference between a 289 and 302 is the crank. A 289 has 2.75" stroke while a 302 has a 3" stroke. Personally I'd go with a 302 H.O. motor. Then you can have the full mustang aftermarket at your disposal. And if you really want to throw people off, you can top motor off with a performer 289 intake so I'll "look" like a 289.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

If you want to throw an awesome motor in there, i would recommend Proformance Unlimited... Here is a link: Ford Performance Engines, Ford Crate Motors, Ford Engines, Ford Motorsports - customcrateengines.com
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I don't know of you watch the power block but they built a 302 with 400 HP on the dyno with a 3k budget and Summit has a kit for the bottom end as well as what they used and for the top end to stay at that amount if you already have the block (which is plentiful anyways).
I had planned on building a stock 91 302 for my 66 daily driver build but to almost double the HP for around the same price is a no brainer.
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs