Ideas on cost? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #1

Region: Washington
Ideas on cost?

I want to have a base of things to do and a cost, not expecting like an exact cost but maybe a guesstimate of one. I'm changing my straight 6 into 8. I'll either use a 289 or 302. Thanks for the time!
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #2

Region: Tennessee
Having done this conversion, sort of, I can tell you that there are things which you have likely not imagined would have to be changed.
I bought a '65 that had its original 200 6cyl replaced with a 302. That's all they did. It still had the small drum brakes, the 7 1/4 integral rear end, 4-lug drums all the way around, the lighter front springs and everything else Ford used for the 6 cylinder Mustangs. So, while I did not do the engine swap I did everything else to make the car safe after the engine swap. I found an 8 inch rear end which gave me the 5-lug rear brake drums so that I could use 5-lug wheels. I converted the front spindles to a Granada set up so I could use 5-lug wheels on the front. That also gave me front disc brakes. I had to change my tie rod ends, steering idler arm, drag link, springs, master cylinder and brake lines. I figured that, while everything was apart, I should change sway bar end link bushings, strut rod bushings, upper and lower control arm bushings and put in heavier-duty front springs to support that heavier V8.
Go through a catalog and price all those things to get an idea of what it's probably going to cost.
MCPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #3

Region: Washington
Thank you for that, I'm trying too stage everything out. I think I'll definitley look at all that!
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If you have to swap the engine too, don't forget the trans, driveshaft, radiator, fuel line needs to be run outside the frame rail up front to avoid vapor lock near manifold. Accelerator pedal/rod is different too. Donor car is a good idea. You can get one for $600 or so, but don't count on all the parts being good. Major stuff (springs, steering linkage, axle) should be usable though. Don't forget the exhaust.

I just posted a thread listing my six cylinder mods. Financially, I couldn't justify the V8 swap. Too many details to keep up with to do it right.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs