Six Cylinder Performance Mods - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Region: Michigan
Six Cylinder Performance Mods

Apologize if this already exists, I searched and did not find anything.

Listed are mods and notes to my 1966 200 CID 6 cylinder. Engine was named "Falcon" six by Ford back in the day. Before performing these mods, I highly recommend getting the book "the Ford Falcon 6 Cylinder Performance Handbook."

See photos in my album.

*Weber 2V on a modified late model head. Must convert to cable accelerator pedal (I used a Granada part) must make provision for kick down if automatic (I have not done yet)
*Ported and polished within limits of head design
*1.75" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves with 302 springs and one piece retainers
*Adjustable rocker arms (stock early Ford)
*CC'ed chambers for compression ratio calculation (must do when using late model head to keep compression ratio)
*Milled head
*Clifford port divider installed
*Zero decked block
*2.3L HSC flat top pistons (for compression). These come as a set of 4 so at least 2 will be mismatched. You need to static balance the rods/pistons to correct
*Otherwise standard lower end rebuild. These engines are tough stock.
*DUI distributor- basically HEI made to fit a Ford
*Classic Inlines dual out header- stainless steel with ceramic coating
*Double roller timing chain
*Clay Smith hydraulic cam 264/274 duration 110 deg lobe center
*Upgraded harmonic balancer
*2" dual exhaust from Waldron

I will comment on the performance at a later date. Not long after the build the car went to the body shop. It felt strong and sounds great.

I hope this helps anyone considering building a six. I got all parts except the port divider from Classic Inlines.

By the way, not necessarily cheap, but by my estimation, cheaper than converting to V8 when you consider all costs to swap suspension, wheels tires, transmission, radiator, exhaust, etc. But like I said, I have to wait and see if the performance satisfies!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1974329628.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	469.4 KB
ID:	49622   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4169944841.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	49623  

matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Re: Six Cylinder Performance Mods

thats sharp, and is also a lot of work!

buck3405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: North Dakota
That engine looks awesome, I'm also trying to build up an I6 200, so please keep the info coming!
6t7mstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Commercial Member
It occurred to me that I never commented on the performance. The Clay Smith cams are ground straight up so must be advanced 4 deg when installed. My engine assembler did not do as I instructed him so for the first year I drove with cam timing retarded significantly. Got another guy last year that degreed the cam and properly set the timing. It made a huge difference. No numbers to report, but the seat of the pants feel is great. I'm going to have the transmission serviced this spring, but I know a 5 speed is the way to go. My cam comes on above 2500 rpm but the Trans wants to shift shortly thereafter.
Overall I'm very happy but will try playing with ignition timing etc to try to get a little more from it. Doubt if it'll beat any V8's but it is way better than stock.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs