Good way to lock your hood! 1969 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
Good way to lock your hood! 1969

I haven't posted too much in this forum but after searching for a way to lock my hood and coming up with little to no photos, I thought it would help if I posted a pic of what I did.

I know you can buy hood pins but being that the cheaper ones will just rust and the more expensive ones are well...more expensive, this is a good cheap way to secure your hood that requires no drilling on your hood or bolting anything up. $15 tops with no bolts or drilling to any body parts.

1. This isn't a burglar proof lock as it will be easy to cut with bolt cutters but it's good so it'll take longer for someone to get to your goodies. (my reason is to just keep my neighbor from dropping a bolt in my carburetor, as I've heard him say he would do and I know he won't go through the trouble of cutting the cable)
2. Remember that it is not good to keep your hood locked in case of a fire, it would be harder to extinguish! This is just a preference idea when you know the car will be sitting but close.

At Walmart I found a wire rope kit for $10.
Kit includes:
30ft. 3/16" vinyl coated wire rope (obviously you don't need 30ft, this is just the smallest length they had)
2 thimbles, 6 clips

You will also need a padlock.

On the under side of your hood on each side of where the hood latch locks, there is a hole.
After you get one of the loops made on one end of the wire with one thimble and 2 or 3 clips, run it through one hole, all the way to the other side and out then through the loop to keep it secured then back up through the same hole it came out and out through the hole of the hood latch opening. Cut it to length on how far you want your hood to open before you unlock the pad lock and add another thimble with clips on that end.

Now on your hood latch below the radiator support bar, you'll see a hole. When you close
Your hood the loop will line up with that hole and you can put the pad lock through it.

Here's a pic of how the wire should look under the hood and I'm sure you'll find the hole to put the pad lock through lol. Hope this helps anyone out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-190140121.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	50408
Rockn69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
That's actually a pretty good way to lock the hood up! I've been looking into it for my 67 and I have seen a couple of good locks with keys. Not sure what to buy yet. I think I had seen them on eBay a few months ago. But the whole idea of no drilling is great. You're a bit of a Mcgyver!
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I'd be doing something about the neighbor!
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #4

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigpapaDean
That's actually a pretty good way to lock the hood up! I've been looking into it for my 67 and I have seen a couple of good locks with keys. Not sure what to buy yet. I think I had seen them on eBay a few months ago. But the whole idea of no drilling is great. You're a bit of a Mcgyver!
Haha thanks man! Yeah I didn't have any spare money and just thought of this and it actually doesn't look too bad. But like I said, it's easily breakable with a pair of bolt cutters but it's works great to add time to stealing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fultonboy09
I'd be doing something about the neighbor!
Well the neighbor is my girlfriends dad.... And honestly if I could strap some c4 under his house it would already be done.

But on a more serious note.. I have only heard that he wants to do this and it's only my thoughts thinking he would actually do it and I really can't say he did anything without proof from cameras which I don't have lol.

Thanks again guys!!!
Rockn69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs