Welding quarter panels - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Welding quarter panels

On my 66 I am welding on a quarter panel. I've welded the floors, firewall, tail light panel, trunk floors and rear trunk brace. All the welding I have done has been overlapped just like the factory and is strong as hell. Yes i have clean metal on both sides, beveled edges and a good ground. The quarters I am butt welding, I left a slight gap of 1/16" between the original panel and the new quarter and when welding the surface indicates good penetration between the metals but when I grind it smooth, you can still see the panel lines and can push the replacement inward past the original panel meaning its not bonded well.
I am using a Lincoln 3200 HD and anymore voltage will blow through the metal and any less will not get good penetration in the metal. For anyone familiar with this welder I've got it set for voltage B and speed 3.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc19662007
On my 66 I am welding on a quarter panel. I've welded the floors, firewall, tail light panel, trunk floors and rear trunk brace. All the welding I have done has been overlapped just like the factory and is strong as hell. Yes i have clean metal on both sides, beveled edges and a good ground. The quarters I am butt welding, I left a slight gap of 1/16" between the original panel and the new quarter and when welding the surface indicates good penetration between the metals but when I grind it smooth, you can still see the panel lines and can push the replacement inward past the original panel meaning its not bonded well.
I am using a Lincoln 3200 HD and anymore voltage will blow through the metal and any less will not get good penetration in the metal. For anyone familiar with this welder I've got it set for voltage B and speed 3.
Panels are strong at the new joints before grinding. Should I not grind as much and tap them in a hair to keep the weld strong and smooth the panel out during the skim coat?
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I am having a quarter welded on my 68 and the guy doing it is bending the new panel edge over and the car side over the other way lapping them then he is going to weld them. He got a special tool to form the edges but I am not sure were. He teaches welding on Nuc Submarines so I am pretty sure he is going to do it right.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
If you can get a wet cotton rag on the back side of the weld you can get much more voltage to it.... I know it sounds stupid but my neighbor who owns a machine shop showed it to me
BA68 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs