problem with time setting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #1

Region: Arkansas
Question problem with time setting

68 Fastback complete rotisserie restomod rebuild.
289 completely rebuilt 3000k miles. Engine runs only when timing is set at 30º off center. Have replace Harmonic Balancer x 2. Also have Petronix Ingitor installed. Tachometer fluctuates ALL over. Rough engine idle, engine will die at complete stop (Stop Light). Use 87 Octane gas. Cold start up not bad but warm engine re-sart AWFUL.
jgarand0265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
What is your has timing. You say thirty egress off center do you mean btdc. And also is your cam timed correctly with the firing order matching your wire routing. It sounds like your off somewhere or your valve are not set at all
Newline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

Region: Arkansas
Re: problem with time setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newline View Post
What is your has timing. You say thirty egress off center do you mean btdc. And also is your cam timed correctly with the firing order matching your wire routing. It sounds like your off somewhere or your valve are not set at all
I believe it btdc. The man who built the engine for me said he had put a "cam" in it for me and that would cause the rough idle. The car runs just fine in normal traffic and on the
highway. But at full stop. I almost always have to keep left foot on brake and keep a little gas going, or slip it in Neutral (C4 Auto) and watching the JME Tach bounce all over is really starting to get under my skin. Always have to pump pedal 6-7 times to start on cold start up and warm engine start is worse. Seems to be running rich from the smell.
Very frustrating after spending some time and $$$$.
jgarand0265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Are you checking the timing with the vacuum advance off. If so 30* is way too much.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Your setup is way off. At bare minimum verify top dead and re run your spark plug wires . Set time around 12 btdc. Male sure you have no vacuum leaks and get a vac gauge on it. If you don't find your problem by doing that... Start looking into your cams firing order
Newline is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs