289 or mod I6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #1

Region: Washington
289 or mod I6?

What would be cheaper. I like that I can have all the power of an 8, (289) but if I can get the power from my straight 6, then why upgrade? Thoughts plz?
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
I've been researching the same thing, the one thing I found out is that to upgrade the I6 its gonna cost a ton. I am lucky I have a 67 cause they used the same spindles and suspension for both the 6 and the 8. I've already did the 4 to 5 lug conversion with larger drum brakes, just waiting for the I6 to die. The I6 intake manifold is cast into the block and to get a performance head is almost the cost of a crate v8, parts are way cheaper for the v8. But I think the I6 is still a cool engine. Just my two cents, hope that helps.
6t7mstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #3

Region: Washington
I Appreciate that a lot! I'm at a crossroads where I need to pick what I want to do. I got a guy willing to sell me a 5 lug reAr for 300$ and I saw a front spindle kit for 100$ I mean I want something with zip and that AMAZING MUSCLE SOUND, i think the 289 can perfect that. Im new though so jumping in for me is a little difficult :l
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
I know exactly what you mean, I've been back and forth on the subject for over a year now. Good luck!
6t7mstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If ur not aiming to do a factory restoration I would go v8 for sure. The sixes are great engines but if you want to get any real performance out of them it will cost you a pretty penny. If you want a v8 the easiest thing to do is find a stock 5.0 from a 87-93 mustang, swap out the fuel injection system for a carb setup, bolt on some headers. This combination will give you an easy 250-260 flywheel HP.

Just my .02
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'd go for the 289. Much easier to build.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: 289 or mod I6?

I started a thread called "Six Cylinder Performance Mods" on 5/9/12 that has pictures and lists what I did. The car is still in the body shop so I have not put any real miles on it yet. I did about everything you can do, to a street performance level, except aluminum head or multiple carbs. If you use a used engine with no performance mods, you can probably beat my cost. If you make all the changes to convert to a V8 and modify your new V8, I don't think you'll do it for less. One of my main reasons to do it is because everybody has a V8 and you know what? if I don't spend a bunch of money, I won't beat them. So, I'm not trying to beat anybody in a race and I think I will get some attention when the hood is up. By the way, the exhaust sounds pretty good out the dual out headers and dual exhaust.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Don't forger that a v8 will be worth more when you go to sell it
BA68 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
That's true unless someone wants a different engine than you put in! When we mod them we risk people not liking it. It also depends on the quality of the work and how complete it is. Did you realize the V8 fuel line is supposed to go outside the frame rail? There are a lot of details to get right. But if I can love my 6 cylinder, then everyone has a right to there tastes!

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

PM me and we can talk about the cost. It's probably not as bad as you think to build the six.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Good point and if you don't want a v8 the i6 will probably be faster lust because it's a lot lighter
BA68 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs