'67 coupe 289 smoking issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Region: Georgia
'67 coupe 289 smoking issues

My 289 recently started smoking more and more. It's a white/bluefish smoke and I still have a ticking noise in there somewhere. I'm assuming they are related.
Here's what I have done... Checked and replaced worn lifters, lubed all lifters with moly grease, adjusted valves, removed cleaned and painted exhaust manifold, replaced donut gasket at rear of ex manifold, removed and checked plugs... Here's where im having issues. Plugs looked good except for a couple issues. A couple of them have oily deposits around the threads.
(see pictures)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2775652552.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	55520

Name:	image-3437752400.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	55521

Name:	image-3701719209.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	55522

Name:	image-3286572433.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	55523

What should I check next? Valve guides, seals, rings??? I'm trying to be as thorough as possible before I have to take it to someone.
I don't mind tearing it all apart to find it, I look at it as a learning experience. I would really appreciate the help.
Thanks everyone

Mhaymes67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: New Jersey
Sounds like a busted ring but the ticking makes me think bottom end... I'd get a compression or leak down tester and ho from there

BA68 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Could the valve cover gaskets be leaking, getting oil on the exhaust? Plugs don't look that bad but the residue on the base looks like something external.
mike Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Region: Michigan
Sounds a lot like valve stem seals too. Could be guides They can only be checked with the head off and springs removed. Best done by a machine shop. Rings or valve seals/guides can give similar symptoms.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

By the way, "ticking" is usually used to describe a lighter sound which is generally valve train related. "Knocking" is usually associated with bottom end noises like bearing or wrist pin. Worn rings don't usually make any noise on their own. If left unfixed, other things will get noisy. The oily plugs are that way because of too much oil in the combustion chamber. It sounds like you are ready for a rebuild.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs