"early 1965" Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Region: Connecticut
"early 1965" Mustang

I figure I would ask this here - I have been trying to find out the answers to a few questions.

I have a "1964 1/2" (early '65) Mustang Convertible. Caspian Blue, D-Code. "Lizzie" is matching numbers, right down to the 1963 Ford Falcon brake drums that are on her. The only things we have found replaced on her is the gas cap (someone put one on with the wire to prevent it from being stolen); the carb is not an Autolite but an Edelbrock, and the Aircleaner cover and the radio.

In looking online at the various registries, websites, etc., it appears that there is a lot of accessories on my car that were not "standard", such as the top is a power top, she has the back up lights, flashing hazards, cigarette lighter and AC.

Is there any way to figure out how many of these "early 65's" are still around? Even a rough estimate...like we know 121833 were built...is it safe to assume that less than 50% are still on the road today?

Is there any way to figure out, realizing that Ford destroyed those records and there is no way to tell totally for sure, about how many "early '65" Caspian Blue D-Code Convertibles with all of those options that are on it were built?

I am curious to try and figure this out.
ChrisAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Maybe look into a marti report (http://www.martiauto.com) should give you an idea, but how many on the road? I don't think you'll have an answer for that.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Marti reports don't start until 1967 I believe. RL Polk is the company that tracks new vehicle registrations and sells info to OEM's. Maybe they track all vehicle registrations and could provide some detail.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #4

Marti has already told me the only thing they can do is a reproduction window sticker, which I am having done. I have seen on other forums that it is estimated there were less than 800 total Caspian Blue D-Code coupe and convertibles. And the Mustang Registry at hurtle.com has a some percentages based on what records are available statistically. I also ordered a couple of restoration/collectors books off of Amazon, that will hopefully give me a little more direction.

Things like 3.72% of all early 65's had DSO of Cincinnati; 8.45% were Caspian Blue; 62.16% had the C4 Auto 289... Based on those statistics...then further breaking down how many had the add on options that my car has.

See, my quest for this knowledge, a few months ago I had been considering selling my car, and I brought it to a guy who is well known in the area for Muscle Car knowledge, etc. he does a lot of restorations and re-sales. While I respected most of what he said to me about the condition of my car (minor cosmetic issues), the comment he made that "Ford made a million of these things and they just have no value." kinda irked me. Really, it insulted me. I realize Ford did make a million of them, but statistically, there can't be too many early ones left. I know "Lizzie" was born on June 23 1964, so I would think her being a matching numbers, early 65 would give her "some" value.

Thanks for listening to my rant!
Old 07-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: "early 1965" Mustang

Fastbacks and convertibles hold their value very very well so he might of just been trying to get you to think that so he could possibly get a good deal on it. In cali decent 289all there 65-68 verts run no lower than 16 and if its pretty clean they go in the twenties. Although i just found a ridiculous deal for an all original 65 vert running and minimal rust for 4k. I might pick it up but im not sure i really need to get my fb done first
Dmay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #6

My Lady has a few minor cosmetic issues. She is an older restoration, so there are two spots on the tail fins where the clear coat has flaked off. I have the split glass back window that needs to be replaced. I have the window, it just needs to be installed.

Right now she is with my mechanic having a break job done, (we found out she has the original 1963 Falcon Drums on her), plugs, points, tune up getting done. The rear brake light burned out, shorted it so they are going to fix it all.

All in all everything together it would be about $3000 worth of work. I am not doing the window right now, nor am I doing the paint on the tail right now, so maybe doing $1500 of the total work needed to be done. The guy told me if I put the $3000 into I, I could get maybe another $1300 into it.

Basically I think he was trying to low ball ,e anyway by saying my car was worth $12,500.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I guess I did forget that marti reports are from 67and up. Sorry . I think your convertible "matching numbers" is worth WAY more than 12500. That's for sure. Do you know how hard it is to find a matching #'s car????? I'm just happy to have a tranny and diff that belong to my car!! Lol.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs