Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Help

I want to put a 5-point harness in my car for more safety but I don't want the crossmember that the shoulder straps mount onto. They sell 4-point cages that lets you use the rear seat but it doesn't have the crossmember for the shoulder straps. I was wondering if you could mount the straps to the floor or where the cage crosses over the interior near the headliner. Please reply.
Stanglover1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: Help

yes you can mount them to the floor or top of a roll bar if you make a bracket or bolt it through the cage. Ive heard some bad things about putting 5 or 4 points to the floor behind the seat though. I cant remember what it was but googleit it might come up
Dmay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay65
yes you can mount them to the floor or top of a roll bar if you make a bracket or bolt it through the cage. Ive heard some bad things about putting 5 or 4 points to the floor behind the seat though. I cant remember what it was but googleit it might come up
Well I have seen a few people mount them at the top of the cage using 73in. shoulder straps but I just don't know if that's safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

yea either way isnt the best you really want a crossmember. but youd think itd be better than justa lap belt. i dont know though ive heard bad things about it, do some more research
Old 07-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well my dad has convinced me that I'm gonna die with just a lap belt, so I'm forcing myself to get a harness, but I also wanna be able to use my backseat.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

trust me my family has too thats why ill be building a cage in this build. but i am going to make it as discrete as possible. tuck it away as much as i can and allow for as much comfort but safety all at once. you dont really get either with the aftermarket roll cages theyre more for looks than anything although im sure they help to an extent
Old 07-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

They sell 4 point cages with usable back seat but with a crossmember, you cant

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

The sell 4 point cages that lets you still be able to use the back seat but if you have a crossmember, you won't be able to
Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

yea i want a usable rear seat. anyway for the question, yes you can do either one but im not sure if they will make you safer or do the opposite
Old 07-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Have you considered using a lap/shoulder belt that the Mustang parts houses sell? I have them front and rear in my '66. I am adding some reinforcement to the package shelf for the rear but am comfortable with the fronts. I agree with your dad about lap only. Now that we have better we should use it.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yours don't use the crossmember? I have looked at Simpsons and they use a crossmember. They do sell 73 inch shoulder belts and I figured those where for mounting on the top part of the cage.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I don't have a roll bar at all. Just a street car. They are lap/shoulder belts with a retractor. I'll provide a link. I have them in back for the kids.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Here's a link to CJ Pony Parts for the fronts. Rears are available. http://www.cjponyparts.com/seat-belt...-1973/p/SBR3B/
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry but I'm not a fan at all of 3 points
Old 07-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You can make a bracket on your roll cage so the cross bar can be disconnected anytime. Like two tabs the space of the bar apart and drill holes in them and then use pins to hold it in. I saw it on on a 67 mustang and they still had there rear seat in
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs