Questions on building/rebuilding an engine for a 65' - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Questions on building/rebuilding an engine for a 65'

I recently bought a very straight, all original 1964-1/2 mustang coupe. I picked it up from the original owner, who took excellent care of it. It's never had any accidents, still has the original 289 engine, which has had I think one rebuild if I recall. There are just a few minor rust spots. It has the long black and chrome center console running down the center. They had a complete front bench seat, which was not original to the car, but I picked it up from them just because I really liked the idea of having that option in the future, even though the center console is a pretty attractive piece to remove for installing the seats. My question is this. I'd really like to keep the car as original as possible, but I'd also like to get a little more out of the engine (which is out of the car and stripped down to the block for clean up). I am considering installing a performance camshaft and possibly some other hi-po parts, but I'm hesitant to get too far away from the original setup. It has an original rally pac. I'm trying to figure out what modifications I could install on the engine, including the heads and pistons, valves and what not to get the most out of the engine without compromising the value of keeping it original. Cost is not a huge concern, I'm just looking to get better performance out of the engine since I have it out. Any suggestions to what I might consider doing to get the most out of the engine without destroying the value of its complete original state? Anything suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-512621595.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	518.6 KB
ID:	60373   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1121661794.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	60374  

Name:	image-53503087.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	60375   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3062233349.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	519.8 KB
ID:	60376  

Name:	image-2809658110.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	60377  
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi960
I recently bought a very straight, all original 1964-1/2 mustang coupe. I picked it up from the original owner, who took excellent care of it. It's never had any accidents, still has the original 289 engine, which has had I think one rebuild if I recall. There are just a few minor rust spots. It has the long black and chrome center console running down the center. They had a complete front bench seat, which was not original to the car, but I picked it up from them just because I really liked the idea of having that option in the future, even though the center console is a pretty attractive piece to remove for installing the seats. My question is this. I'd really like to keep the car as original as possible, but I'd also like to get a little more out of the engine (which is out of the car and stripped down to the block for clean up). I am considering installing a performance camshaft and possibly some other hi-po parts, but I'm hesitant to get too far away from the original setup. It has an original rally pac. I'm trying to figure out what modifications I could install on the engine, including the heads and pistons, valves and what not to get the most out of the engine without compromising the value of keeping it original. Cost is not a huge concern, I'm just looking to get better performance out of the engine since I have it out. Any suggestions to what I might consider doing to get the most out of the engine without destroying the value of its complete original state? Anything suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I should add that it is missing the hood which is unfortunate because it is the 64-1/2. If anyone has a 64-1/2 hood they want to get rid of, or if anyone knows where I might look for one, I'd be a happy camper
Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You can get one from cjponyparts.com or Npd they are both good. And I'm looking in to engine mods and such but I'm getting a bigger engine. You ever think about stroking it?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man. I had a straight six in my old 66 mustang. I tried to convert it, but I found out after spending money on a new engine and putting all of it together that the front end was going to cost me a bundle to replace and change from 4lugs to 5. Let me know if you have any questions on that process. I did all of my own work. I wound up selling it because I couldn't afford to have the front end converted. I could have, but I was pressed for time. So it got sold.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs