1964-1/2 power steering pump - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
1964-1/2 power steering pump

I have a 1964-1/2 under resto. I have cleaned up the Eaton power steering pump and I am going to put a new finish on it. I have found conflicting information as to what color the original pump should be.......I'm going for all original (except for the cam, intake manifold, and carb to name a few). Does anyone know what the original color should be? It looks like it has a black gloss finish at one time, but there is another coat under that on the reservoir that appears to be silver or white. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3489875480.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	62120  
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
June 2012 issue of Mustang Monthly, page 31 shows that the top of the reservoir is silver. Virginia Mustang catalog says "...originally the reservoir was painted Argent (silver)"
I'd say it should be silver. Similar quick research should turn up the pump color.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Much appreciated. I found several examples, and decided to go with silver/metallic top, and a black reservoir with black pulleys. I think it looks a little better than all metallic. I found a rebuild kit also, which should make it pretty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3392664914.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	62317  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Nice job. It looks great!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! I've refinished a handful of parts. And I'm getting better at it. I'm still trying to figure out how to strip down the engine compartment. I am thinking nothing short of a sand blaster will be very effective. Had much experience there?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Done it twice. First time was so thick I took a scraper to it. Then a good degreaser, scotchbrite pads and a pressure washer. Surface rust can be sanded away. Under the brake master cylinder will probably look bad. I took out everything I could. Engine was out for a rebuild this last time. Then I primed and painted with Roll bar/Chassis spray cans. Check my albums, if I don't have pics, I'll add some tonight. If you have serious rust, like around the battery, that area should be replaced.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!!! I looked through some of your photos....pretty serious operation looks like. What kind of primer did you use? I have purchased some self etching primer, and I am not sure, but I think I need an additional primer on top of that before I put down my base coat? I'm new to painting this sort of stuff, so there's a bit of trial and error happening. I had to go back and strip the parts I had previously painted and start fresh due to my inexperience. I may upgrade my operation to a paint gun and compressor.....as I am learning that it provides a far superior job. I'm not a paint guy, but I have the time, and capacity to pick it up. I don't weld either, which sucks, I don't have much rust to work with, there are two spots on the entire car that need to be cut and replaced. 3 if you count the dash where the stock radio was cut up. Overall though I found a pretty decent car.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Sounds like you found a great car. Too bad about the radio, but there are repair panels. I'm no expert with paint either. The etching primer should be fine for the engine compartment unless you need to use some sand able primer before painting. If you plan to paint body panels, you should get a compressor and spray gun. I don't have anywhere to do it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs