Port and polish 289 4V - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Port and polish 289 4V

Hey all, I dropped off my engine to be rebuilt and the heads port and polished. I'm considering having the shop install a performance cam as well. I'd like a beefy sound, and better performance around 2500-3500 rpm's. Anyone experiment with anything they'd like to share?
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Look into comp cams that's the kind what I put in my 289 I wish I went little bigger but she purrrrrs beautifully.
Dadsgl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadsgl67
Look into comp cams that's the kind what I put in my 289 I wish I went little bigger but she purrrrrs beautifully.
My mechanic is trying to steer me away from anything that will give me idle issues. I'd like to have something that gives me good performance, but hums a nice idle tune. Which can are you running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

And ....if you don't mind my asking did you have to swap out your heads, and or go with screw in studs for your lifters? I keep seeing reference to this. I am hoping to be able to cam the engine, and later put performance heads on. I'd like to run my stock heads, but if there is no way around it, I'll have to do what I'll have to do.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi960

My mechanic is trying to steer me away from anything that will give me idle issues. I'd like to have something that gives me good performance, but hums a nice idle tune. Which can are you running?
I just have a mild cam and she runs great. I didn't wanna do anything extreme since she's a daily driver
Dadsgl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Look at adding some roller rockers while you're in there. Check out Edelbrock for a nice little cam. You can also usually pick up a used Edelbrock intake manifold for around $100 on Craigslist or eBay.
Sainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainte
Look at adding some roller rockers while you're in there. Check out Edelbrock for a nice little cam. You can also usually pick up a used Edelbrock intake manifold for around $100 on Craigslist or eBay.
Will do. I have a 289 torker that was on the engine when I purchased it. I've heard some conflicting stories about those particular intakes. Good and bad. I may replace that.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: Port and polish 289 4V

I have Edelbrock preformer. The torquer I heard are a little too hot for daily street cars. Usually what I heard was that they will develope a lope and run pretty rough at lower speeds and idle.
Sainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Since I have it I'll probably run it and see how it performs. If it gives me any kind of issues I'll know what to consider. Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 03:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

On second thought, after reading up on single plane intakes, I'm not running track. I'm street. I need a dual plane, with longer ports. I want low end performance which the torker is not designed for.
If anyone is interested, this link is busting with killer knowledge on building a bad azz engine. I have a completely new outlook on performance parts, and engine design. Highly highly recommend reading.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...s/viewall.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs