Startability - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Startability

Hey I'm new to the forum and just purchased a Mach 1 that's been sitting for 36 years just wanted to know if something like this would be startable or the engine rebuilded first? I talked to the second owner who had the car for so long and he drove it in highschool back in 76 and he said he use to race it alot and had the engine rebuilt before it sat so long. So I'm wondering if a good days work on it can bring it to life looking the way it is now, thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4293331263.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	481.8 KB
ID:	64186   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2811618496.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	510.3 KB
ID:	64187  

FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: Startability

If it's been sitting 36 years and hasn't been started in 36 years don't mess with it. If the engine is matching numbers and you're going to restore it just start the restore, pull the engine and start breaking it down.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Sure you can give it a try.

1. Remove the spark plugs, squirt a goodly amount of oil in each cylinder, say a couple of table spoons full in each cylinder.

2. Using a socket and large ratchet or breaker bar, see if the engine will turn over. Don't roll it just yet as there is no oil on the bearings, just see if it will move.

3. Change the oil and filter, whatever is in there has to be contaminated, then remove the distributor and procure some way with a priming tool or homemade device spin the oil pump shaft counterclockwise until you have oil pressure and oil has been distributed through the engine. Re-install the distributor making sure it is in time. Once that is done roll the engine over by hand a couple of times.

4. Follow up with checking the fuel system, carb, gas tank etc. and replace the plugs, connect a battery (be ready to pull the battery cable quickly in case of a short circuit) and insure you have fire to the plugs. Fill the fuel bowls of the carb through the vents with a small funnel hose or whatever you can contrive that won't spill it all over the place. If the bowls don't leak and you have spark to the plugs, give it a try.

May have forgotten a few things, so just check everything you can think of that will be affected when/if the engine starts, like making sure it is not in gear and there is fluid in the transmission, etc., etc..
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Welcome. Personally, I would pull it and start the rebuild. Congrats on the project!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
/\ x2 on what Trojan Horse said. Have a fire extinguisher handy. #1 mice may have made nests in places that may catch fire once they get hot, #2 the carb may leak like hell from sitting so long!
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks it's a numbers matching engine the guy put in a lean to barn and water got in on it somehow. I've already taken the hood off because it wouldn't close all the way due to rusty engine I'll give it a try today thnks
Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
Thanks it's a numbers matching engine the guy put in a lean to barn and water got in on it somehow. I've already taken the hood off because it wouldn't close all the way due to rusty engine I'll give it a try today thnks
Just double check everything and make sure it is oiled good and has fuel without it leaking all over and you will be fine. I have done numerous of these types of start ups over the years and the only real failures were the engines that had gotten water in them and locked up solid. In those cases the engine block is usually ruined and it has to be sleeved or replaced before you can rebuild.

What engine is it, a 302 or 351W?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
It makes you wonder, what kinda of person let's a car like that rot away for 36 years? What's the point of holding on to a car like that if you're not going to maintain it?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I started up an old 70,s caddie that had been sitting for nearly ten years. It had a 500c.u. in it. A big monster car and engine. All I did was air up the tires, swap out the battery, put some new fuel in it, and primed the carb. I kid you not, it started up within 2 turns of the engine. I took it for a drive and the sob even passed smog. I probably should have oiled things up a bit. But it ran great and I made a few bucks off it. It shocked me how easily it started. Since you are looking to run this engine, I'd take the time to safeguard the internals by lubing it up like they suggested before you turn it over. Good luck.
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

IRS a 351 windsor lol I found this car on craigslist and when I called to set up the appointment the same day it was put on craigslist it was sold I was looking on eBay a week later and saw the same car on eBay so I worked a deal out and I picked it up I called the guy who owned it in virginia he told me the whole story it was his high school car and he raced z28 s and said he never lost than he bought a van and put the car n a lean too barn and water got on it. He said he drives a Porsche and a 2006 gt. I guess he was just lazy with it.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
It makes you wonder, what kinda of person let's a car like that rot away for 36 years? What's the point of holding on to a car like that if you're not going to maintain it?
It happens more often than you might think. You get a car you are partial to, something happens and you cannot fix it up like you want, but you can't bear to part with it.......

Quote:
IRS a 351 windsor lol I found this car on craigslist and when I called to set up the appointment the same day it was put on craigslist it was sold I was looking on eBay a week later and saw the same car on eBay so I worked a deal out and I picked it up I called the guy who owned it in virginia he told me the whole story it was his high school car and he raced z28 s and said he never lost than he bought a van and put the car n a lean too barn and water got on it. He said he drives a Porsche and a 2006 gt. I guess he was just lazy with it.

He's pulling your leg a bit unless it has had some performance work done to it. I owned 2 69 Mustangs back in the day and while they ran good stock they didn't run that good. I had to run a tuned 750 DP carb, long tube headers, 2.5" H-pipe exhaust, Crane Fireball cam, and a 3.91 geared traction lock to compete with the Z28's. Smoked a couple of those a Heavy Chevy Chevelle and a hot rod Nova too after the mods though.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

It happens more often than you might think. You get a car you are partial to, something happens and you cannot fix it up like you want, but you can't bear to part with it.......

He's pulling your leg a bit unless it has had some performance work done to it. I owned 2 69 Mustangs back in the day and while they ran good stock they didn't run that good. I had to run a tuned 750 DP carb, long tube headers, 2.5" H-pipe exhaust, Crane Fireball cam, and a 3.91 geared traction lock to compete with the Z28's. Smoked a couple of those a Heavy Chevy Chevelle and a hot rod Nova too after the mods though.
Well it has duel exhausts when it was a one it has a four barrel Holley instead of 2 he said he put Shelby cams in it but idk I know nothing of these old cars since I drive a 99 cobra and my fiance drives a 04 gt I'm used to the 4.6 modulars than the 650 Holley lol its bad but I've never even heard of Holley until I saw his sticker he had on the window I guess that's what happens if your born into separate generations
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well it has duel exhausts when it was a one it has a four barrel Holley instead of 2 he said he put Shelby cams in it but idk I know nothing of these old cars since I drive a 99 cobra and my fiance drives a 04 gt I'm used to the 4.6 modulars than the 650 Holley lol its bad but I've never even heard of Holley until I saw his sticker he had on the window I guess that's what happens if your born into separate generations
Yes, that's what happens. I was a teenager when those were still on the road all over the place and could be bought for $500 - $1500 in good running condition.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes, that's what happens. I was a teenager when those were still on the road all over the place and could be bought for $500 - $1500 in good running condition.
Lol I read a boss 302 could be bought around 4 g and now there like 43g for a 13 boss a 19 yr old can't afford that lol!!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Lol I read a boss 302 could be bought around 4 g and now there like 43g for a 13 boss a 19 yr old can't afford that lol!!
Yes and sadly 4K back then was almost as unattainable as 43K is now for me too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs