To sound dampen, or not..... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
To sound dampen, or not.....

Was hoping to find out some info/experience with sound dampening. I read that you can buy some pretty cheap stuff from a hardware store called 'peel and seal' which is comparable to dynomat, but a fraction of the cost. I plan to put in the factory stuff, and a layer of peel and seal, but I don't have any yet. My question is this. I want the total classic muscle car experience. I want it fast, I want it loud, and I want it shiny. Will applying aftermarket sound dampening material reduce the exhaust/engine sound that makes you feel like you are behind the wheel of a bad machine? I know the benefits of quieting rattles and road noise, as well as heat and cold, but I'm not sure I want to quiet the sound of HP....at least not all of it. Can anyone share any experience or shed any light here? I'm getting ready to paint the interior floors and I'll be making a determination as to what I will install soon so any info will be employed in helping make that choice. Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-305985640.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	505.8 KB
ID:	64934  
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I am 35, enjoyed everything to wide open headers to single chamber flow masters back in the day. I gotta say, it depends on the individual. I drove around in my buddy's truck with loud exhaust for a few days and that was too much for me now. I am building a 66 coupe and I plan on soundproofing mine as much as I can but am going to have loud exhaust anyways. If I want to hear it I will roll down the windows but I think it's up to you.
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc19662007
I am 35, enjoyed everything to wide open headers to single chamber flow masters back in the day. I gotta say, it depends on the individual. I drove around in my buddy's truck with loud exhaust for a few days and that was too much for me now. I am building a 66 coupe and I plan on soundproofing mine as much as I can but am going to have loud exhaust anyways. If I want to hear it I will roll down the windows but I think it's up to you.
Gotcha. I guess I'll probably find a happy medium. Thanks for the input. I just don't want to kill a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Look, that's the one thing I haven't done on my interior yet. But let me tell you that next yr it's going to be done. Just for the heat itself from that 390 it's worth putting on. The car already has some but it's just the bare minimum. Make your cabin comfortable first and I'm sure the sound will still be there....just my 2 cents.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

A 390? That's a huge *****! I bet it's hard to stay off the throttle. I'm leaning towards the benefit of slapping some extra material in there. If you decide to do yours, this thread on another forum gave the name of some pretty cost effective stuff that is comparable to dynomat.

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthr...?t=3226&page=2
Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's sooo hard to stay off of it ! Shes torquey!! Lol. But all that to say that the engine pushes out so much heat that it becomes unbearable in the summer.
So even if I lose a little sound, I'de rather avoid melting in my car. It's like having 2 diff climates in my car at the same time. I got the sahara desert in front and a cool San Francisco in back! Lol.

But I LOVE my 390, no matter what.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Something else I have been kicking around, not sure how practical it might be and havent gone so far as to really dig into it but, is using the electric actuated motor that is used for easily switching from wide open headers (without having to remove a hot cap) to regular exhaust. What I'm thinking is to use it for 2 exhaust systems, one relatively normal and the other louder. Possibly routing the loud on to dump out before the rear tires or similar to the Shelby glass packs and dump out the sides, then piping in and installing the quieter exhaust up in the space where the original muffler was and then run it out the back. Like I said, just a crazy thought that popped into my head after a few drinks while sitting in my 66 shell making vroom vroom noises while sitting on a milk crate with an imaginary steering wheel in hand.
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like a cool idea. Application part of it may prove a little tricky, but if you manage to make it work, I'd be interested in it.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: To sound dampen, or not.....

Never thought of Peel and seal that way, good idea. I've used it roofs lots of times and ill be putting in the stang when I get my new carpet. 100 square feet for $120 where I live(WV)
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Apparently there is two types, one of which is petroleum based, and I've heard it might give off some unpleasant odors in the heat. I've heard that there is a different product from peel and seal that won't produce a funk under that circumstance. Just a thought if you go about using it.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I think I have to go to lowes now
BA68 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 66GT coupe in Emberglow/parchment. After replacing floorpans I used POR15 for rust protection...everywhere. This weekend I will be spraying Lizard skin for temp and sound control. I've wrapped my Hooker long tube headers and hope to keep under hood temp down. I hope it lives up to expectations cause it's NOT cheap. The 347 ci with 450hp 425 ft lbs torque should generate lot of heat and fun. I'll be back on the road in another month When it cools down. Deep in the heat of Texas
DaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs