Autolite 4100-1.08 480 cfm vs Holley 1850-3 600cfm - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Autolite 4100-1.08 480 cfm vs Holley 1850-3 600cfm

I am in possession of two different carbs. When I bought my mustang, the guy was cool enough to kick down the original autolite. The engine was wearing a Holley 1850-3 600cfm. Both carbs look like they need a bit of love. I'm looking to have one of them rebuilt, and I was hoping someone has had some experience with these bad dads. I've heard good things about both, but I want to make the right investment. It's going on a 289 bored 0.060 over. A torker intake, and likely a mild cam. Best bang for my buck?
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
That was very generous of him to give you the autolite! They sell for big $$$. Asuming your engine is mostly stock, I believe you would actually see an increase in performance and drivability with the autolite. No harm in trying both though.
Rebuild kits are cheap, and its fairly easy to rebuild those yourself. I'm sure there are youtube videos you can follow if you need help.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Cool. Yeah I think that sounds pretty right on the money. I've looked into both, and it sounds like the autolite 4100 carb was something ahead of its time, and is a step up in efficiency and performance compared to other carbs. I didn't know what I had until I looked into it. I'm pretty fortunate to have my hands on one. The engine is stock for the most part. I have had a few performance modifications added. And, after looking into my intake manifold, I've decided to opt out of the single plane high rpm torker manifold for something on the lower rpm spectrum. Thanks for your input! Way cool btw that you are restoring that 73 Granada. It's pretty unique.
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well thank you, I chose the 73 because of its uniqueness and I was able to land a pretty good deal. Of all my projects, its the one closest to my heart
Old 09-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I rebuilt my Autolite carb. There are good procedures on the internet. Wasn't difficult at all. Now if I could find a replacement for the plastic clip that holds the choke rod.
mike Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Mmm try ebay?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs