Engine rebuild question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Engine rebuild question

Have the original engine that came with my 65 mustang. It is currently at the shop. It is bored 0.040 over. I was going to have the engine bored 0.060 over and throw in some extras to pick up some added HP. I just received a call back from my mechanic who stated that the block needs a ton of work. The valve seats are original, so unless I wanted to be adding lead to my fuel all the time, they would have to be swapped out. The sleeves are hour glassed apparently. And there are scours pretty deep in one cylinder wall. The car is an A-code, which is not as coveted as K-code engines, but still rather sought after. A-code cars came stock with 289 4v. Anyway he says he can rebuild it for around $2200.00 but he made an effort to talk me into a built 289 that is fresh from tooling and ready to rock. He says it's a pretty nice motor. Should I rebuild my original block? Is there any benefit in retaining the original engine? Or am I just squeezing one last rebuild out of a motor for no reason. The car is basically all original, so I would like to keep its engine, but is there any real reason other then that. Would I be sacrificing any monetary value by putting in a different 289?
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Ultimately it's up to you. If it were me I would probably get the hopped up 289 and keep the original engine and get it rebuilt just to keep it all numbers matching if you ever decide to sell the car later on down the road.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
you could always put a new motor in it and keep the original. if it ever becomes time to sell you definitly want the original. personally .060 is a long way to go. i wouldnt risk killing the motor and just set it asside for now. just tell the mechanic you want to keep it. just my opinions.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
10-4 on all that. I just don't want to be kicking myself down the road for getting rid of the engine. I'm just not sure how much it adds to the complete product. If its more desirable to have the original, I'd likely just have it built, rather than a replacement motor. Thanks for the input.
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Yah, if u want an all numbers matching car - 100% original, u need to keep the original engine. It adds to the value; not sure how much though.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Not to burst you bubble but having a numbersmatching car dosent really do anything for the value unless it's a fastback or convertible or any other special car but then again I would definitely keep the old block
BA68 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs