Front coil springs. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Front coil springs.

I recently did the Shelby 1" drop on my 65. I decided I'd chop off 1/2 coil to get an extra drop out of the front while I was in the process. When I went to reinstall the coil springs, along with new perches, and control arms, I noticed that the bottom of the coil doesn't sit right in the perch. The end of the spring misses the stop on the perch and looks like it could rotate and or move around because of this. I'm tempted to heat the end of the coil up and straighten the end out with a BFH. Anyone run into this problem? Is there an easier fix that I'm not seeing?
Willi960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I think you are supposed to take full coils, 360 degrees, not halves.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well what happened is that the factory end of the coil straightens out at the end of the coil that sits in the perch. After chopping it, the new end has a radius now, which essentially makes the end of the coil miss the perch tab which prevents it from rotating from in it's seat. The end of the coil where I cut it will have to be straightened out in order to sit properly. I think I just need to heat the last few inches up and give it a few good wacks with a hammer to get it to sit right in the perch. Otherwise it'll move around when ever it feels inclined to do so.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

It seems like chopping these springs is a fairly common practice. I just can't find much reference to perch alignment problems after making the cut. An unforeseen side affect. It may not make much of a difference, but I don't feel comfortable leaving it to wonder around as it sees fit. Looks like it'll just be a problem down the road. Trying to mitigate it now before it gets to be a headache later
Old 09-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I guess I've just never seen one that straightens out. I'm no expert tho so it doesn't surprise me!
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83
I guess I've just never seen one that straightens out. I'm no expert tho so it doesn't surprise me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-647810610.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	68787
After closer inspection, the problem lays with the new perches I bought. I tried matching up the old ones to the spring and they seem to sit fine. If you look at the photo you can see where the end doesn't quite line up with the stop tab on the perch. I've never experienced this before. I know I ordered the correct parts. I don't know how big of a problem it will be if I installed it this way, It's just such a pita to return stuff in the mail. Especially when I'm pressed for time to get them in.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I wound up buying new lowering shocks. I still don't like how they sit on the perch, they only just catch the twist stop. If I run into problems down the road I'll swap them out for a better fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-872305874.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	71392  
Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I've read people cutting half's and 3/4 off of springs. I've been wanting to do mine but I was afraid of exactly what happened to u. Good luck figuring it out
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt
I've read people cutting half's and 3/4 off of springs. I've been wanting to do mine but I was afraid of exactly what happened to u. Good luck figuring it out
Start with cutting off a 1/4 of the coil each time u can always take away but u can't add back
Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
Start with cutting off a 1/4 of the coil each time u can always take away but u can't add back
But if I cut half coil, its not going to line up right. Or is it just as long as front points same direction and back point same direction, its ok? So just worry bout getting bottom set in right and make sure front tops point same.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The top part of the spring can be in any position, as the factory finish is flat and has no required position. What I ran into was that the end of the bottom part of the spring deviates from a true circle, and has a slight bend in it and the last few inches of the spring straightens out, which allows for the perch tab to catch it, preventing it from rotating. When you chop the spring, you lose that straight part. It's subtle but it makes a difference. I noticed the new perches I bought, the tab that stop it from rotating was in a slightly different place also, which added to the problem. The stock perches would have worked fine even after I chopped them, because the tab was situated in a position that the spring wouldn't have moved, even without the factory end of the spring that straightens out at the end. I think in the end my main problem was the new perches. You can cut your springs in any spot, full coils, half coils, even quarter coils and it will line up if you position the spring correctly, what you need to be aware of is if that tab will catch the end of the spring where you cut it. If you are interested, I purchased Scott drake perches. It's completely doable. Really nothing to it. Just keep in mind when you cut, you may fall into the same problem I had.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Essentially you won't have my same problem unless you buy a set of aftermarket perches from Scott drake.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:49 PM   #11

Region: Washington
I realise this is an old thread, but I just had this exact problem tonite and I was looking for an answer. nobody suggested to just bend the tab on the spring perchwith a BFH so it lines up. Simple. Thats what worked for me.

I wouldnt cut a spring that was engineered for a certain purpose, unless of course you intended to repurpose the spring
Voodoo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs