Setback - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Setback

Went for a nice evening drive with my wife tonight. Got home pulled into the garage and shut the engine off. The moment I shut the engine off it started to spew white smoke from under the hood. Poured out quite a bit of coolant. I am hoping it's just a hose but I would like to hear other possibilities if anybody has any.

Thanks in advance for your time - Pearson
Pearson289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I drive my 99 cobra on a hot day and when I finally parked it I smelt something bad I popped the hood and the white smoke was spewing it stopped and I poured coolant in it. I believe mine was because the cap was not screwed all the way. But it never happened before what year is ur stang
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Same thing happened to my 98 GT. The cap blew. White smoke everywhere. Haha.
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98StangKid
Same thing happened to my 98 GT. The cap blew. White smoke everywhere. Haha.
Lol I know I felt like it kept losing coolant everytime I pored it I hate the smell
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It's a 65...I took a look at it once it cooled and it seems that it was pouring from the hose at the top of the radiator. Where the hose and radiator meet.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson289
It's a 65...I took a look at it once it cooled and it seems that it was pouring from the hose at the top of the radiator. Where the hose and radiator meet.
Sorry no help from me lol I'm on my 69 Mach 1 project and as you can tell half of the crap that was here is fallen apart lol sorry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1128700278.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	510.3 KB
ID:	69407  
Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Question.... Do you use a clutch fan or electric fan? My fan stopped working and thank god I stopped for gas and I noticed the smoke and overflow on the ground. Had to tow it.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The cap is critical but not usually the problem. The system needs pressure because water boils at a higher temp when under pressure. The cap has to release at a pressure lower than what the rest of the system can stand. When it spews out the cap, the cap is doing its job. You should make sure the coolant is flowing right and fan is moving enough air. In an old engine corrosion is often the culprit. Thermostat must open at the right temp too. Make sure the radiator fins are in good shape and that someone has not pinched off tubes that were leaking. Sorry for being long winded.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The cap was fine and tight. It seems that the coolant came from the highest hose, however, I am concerned what caused the leak. The hoses appear to be in good shape. I have considered taking it to my trusted shop and hearing what they have to say. Unfortunately the things that need doing to the engine are pilling up and the radiator just adds to the list. I am at the point were I might just park it until I have the money to do a restoration to the whole thing. The engine being the biggest on the list, after that all that would be left were paint and small fixtures ( weather stripping, cowl vent, etc).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1042231861.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	69582  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs