charging system not working - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #1

Region: Connecticut
charging system not working

My cars a 67 coupe. I pulled the 289 out and put a 390 in. The battery is relocated to the trunk. First I had an optama battery with like 600 cca.The car had a hard time starting so I bumped up to 800 cca. Now the car starts but If I go for a ride it's hard to start after I shut it off. Everything is new. I've also tried three different regulators. Sometimes new dosen't mean there good. So my thinking is that the alternator,that's stock for the car doesn't have the amps to send the charge to the battery in the trunk. Am I on the right track or not even close? If it is the alternator how hard is it to do the conversion to the one wire internal ragulator? Also what happens if you have to many amps? Eventualy I want to add stuff air ride, radio, ect. So if I put 140 or 200 amp in without those things am I getting fried or does the regulator control it?
muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #2

Re: charging system not working

is there anybody out there??????????
Old 04-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #3

this site is a joke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I apologize you feel that way. I would think its' less an issue about the site itself sucking but more like members not having much experience with the classics.

There are several things you can check, for example what gage wiring are you using? are all the connections good? Also what are the stats on the starter? If it gets harder to start after the car is warm, it may not be a charging issue but may be the starter itself, it can actually wear in such a way that when it is hot, it is more reluctant to work, my 89 was like that, I was afraid to shut it off at gas stations or that reason.

When the car starts easy are the headlights brighter than when the car cranks slowly?

Sorry I can't be of more help
Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

hey bud put a one wire chevy alt on it and do away with all the factory wiring. it works great and all you have to do is run the wire to the battery. i had the same problem and got tired of messing with it. the chvy alt has a built in reg.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the response. The starter is one of those high torque mini starters it was the only thing I could get to clear the headers. I've got a 2 guage wire Right now I'm bumping it up to a 0 guage. As for the alternator a couple of other pepole have suggested that also. Once I get the chance thats my next step. Does anyone know how many volts a charged battery is susposed to be someone told me it's between 11-13 volts,or is 11 dead? Also dose this site have a good tech section for my pepole like my self who don't like to follow factory specs? Lets face it everybody can do whats been done pepole who try and fail realy get to live when it finaly works. I hear ford is finaly doing this again 6 cylinder twin turbo can't wait to try it!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrat View Post
Thanks for the response. The starter is one of those high torque mini starters it was the only thing I could get to clear the headers. I've got a 2 guage wire Right now I'm bumping it up to a 0 guage. As for the alternator a couple of other pepole have suggested that also. Once I get the chance thats my next step. Does anyone know how many volts a charged battery is susposed to be someone told me it's between 11-13 volts,or is 11 dead? Also dose this site have a good tech section for my pepole like my self who don't like to follow factory specs? Lets face it everybody can do whats been done pepole who try and fail realy get to live when it finaly works. I hear ford is finaly doing this again 6 cylinder twin turbo can't wait to try it!!!!!!!!
A fully charged 6 cell battery (typical ) is supposed to hold 2.1 volts per cell, so 12.6 V is the target... If its in the 11 range its likely not charging well enough, but I wouldn't say dead - ~11 volts can typically be recharged, but I've seen 'dead' batteries with near target voltage, but almost no cranking amps, if the battery can't provide the amperage (like you noted you went to an 800 cold cranking amp battery) then it won't perform well enough..
Old 04-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #8

The first batery that I had was a new optama batery witch I was told was the same as stock. So I exchanged it for another with more cranking amps. I disconected the battery in the fall,when I hooked it back up there was nothing. So I charged it, cranked the car a few times and disconected the battery. The next day I checked the charge 11.4. The car just barely cranked. If I jump the car it'll run. Shut it off and it ain't starting.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrat View Post
The first batery that I had was a new optama batery witch I was told was the same as stock. So I exchanged it for another with more cranking amps. I disconected the battery in the fall,when I hooked it back up there was nothing. So I charged it, cranked the car a few times and disconected the battery. The next day I checked the charge 11.4. The car just barely cranked. If I jump the car it'll run. Shut it off and it ain't starting.
If you can check the charge with the car off -- try checking it with it on, use the voltmeter setting... get the car started up, see if the voltage reads around 14V while the car is running - across the battery terminals, have someone rev it up to 2000 RPMs also, and hold it there for a few seconds, see if the voltage drops off at all

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs