knocking engine??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
knocking engine???

Hey guys... so I've got a 78 mustang ll but it has a 68 v8 302 engine in it. The guy I bought if from said he advanced the timing on it for races... after the first couple of days driving it, I started to hear this really loud knocking sound that got faster and harder as I went faster... I'm scared to drive it. Could it be the timing chain, or maybe worse? What do you guys think? Would really like some feedback. I wanna get my baby on the road as soon as possible. Thanks!
zodo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Are you sure it's motor and not drivetrain? Can you replicate the sound in neutral?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. It knocks while idol. And gets faster and harder as I push on the accelerator pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodo27
Yes. It knocks while idol. And gets faster and harder as I push on the accelerator pedal.

If you can't identify where it's coming from, have a mechanic look at it.
Konig wheels
Engine mods: none, why mess with perfection?
Wyomingstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sounds like crank bearings my car did the exact thing started out not bad and barely at idle and then when I drove it the more rpm the faster and louder it got. Took motor apart and crank bearings were shot what was left of them anyway. Drain oil and look for soft shavings
Mxwilly387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Moved to Classic Mustang forum, tech discussion
Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxwilly387
Sounds like crank bearings my car did the exact thing started out not bad and barely at idle and then when I drove it the more rpm the faster and louder it got. Took motor apart and crank bearings were shot what was left of them anyway. Drain oil and look for soft shavings
Hmmmm.... I'll get digging in there but is it possible that the timing chain came off? It was advanced and never turned down for daily driving...
Old 10-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmmmm.... I'll get digging in there but is it possible that the timing chain came off? It was advanced and never turned down for daily driving...
If you still drive it then no way it couldn't have came off, timing off or jump time maybe but that would kill your power somewhere in rpm range and would have rough idle. Atleast from what I know. Maybe pull valve covers off and see if you have busted valve spring, happend on my stepdads car before. I'd check oil first since its simplest but I'm sure someone on this forum will get you in right direction. I'm just telling you off what I know, and personally experienced
Old 10-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Are you sure it's motor and not drivetrain? Can you replicate the sound in neutral?
+1 ^ And double check your oil and make sure your tranny and rear diff are not wet like they are leaking.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you still drive it then no way it couldn't have came off, timing off or jump time maybe but that would kill your power somewhere in rpm range and would have rough idle. Atleast from what I know. Maybe pull valve covers off and see if you have busted valve spring, happend on my stepdads car before. I'd check oil first since its simplest but I'm sure someone on this forum will get you in right direction. I'm just telling you off what I know, and personally experienced
The car did just die on me while I was driving. I've turned it on but haven't driven it since. Hope its not the crank shaft. I'm 16 and know little about cars. Enough to like change spark plugs, check gaping, and oil but not to take it apart. I also do need to pump the gas when I start it quite a bit. But its not the fuel pump or the oil pump, that's what I thought it was so I just recently had those replaced.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The car did just die on me while I was driving. I've turned it on but haven't driven it since. Hope its not the crank shaft. I'm 16 and know little about cars. Enough to like change spark plugs, check gaping, and oil but not to take it apart. I also do need to pump the gas when I start it quite a bit. But its not the fuel pump or the oil pump, that's what I thought it was so I just recently had those replaced.
You ever get a chance to drain oil?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You ever get a chance to drain oil?
I'm doing that on monday
Old 10-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Mine done the same thing, as you step on the accelerator. Do you have headers on it? Mine had a header leak and just tighten your header/manifolds up and see if that might do a difference. Or you can pop the hood and smell and see if you smell exaust fumes from the engine.
Tylercribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm doing that on monday
Well when you get if figured out even if that isn't the problem post it on here so I could know if I ever come across that problem I will have something else to look for
Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like main bearings or rod bearings to me. Previous owner probably knew it too.
mike Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike Franklin
Sounds like main bearings or rod bearings to me. Previous owner probably knew it too.
There was absolutely no knocking when I bought it.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

But it only took 2 days. Not trying to dash your hopes, just being realistic.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But it only took 2 days. Not trying to dash your hopes, just being realistic.
I know I totally understand. How much would it be to get the crankshaft replaced ?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I would drive up to a shop and have them listen. If it needs to be rebuilt the crank can usually be turned. I haven't done it in a long time...I'm too old, but it's worth doing.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hey, I got my 67 390BB rebuilt last year and 2 months later I heard knocking and I stared freaking out....I go see the engine guy the rebuilt it and I'm ready to go off on him about what this noise was coming out of a 4000$ overhauled engine I paid for. He looks around and takes out a long wrench extension and starts listening to the engine like a doctor would do with a stethoscope. Turns out it was the mechanical fuel pump making all that knocking noise. I would of never guessed. Don't panic until you have answers. Could be something small and not expensive. Good luck.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigpapaDean
Hey, I got my 67 390BB rebuilt last year and 2 months later I heard knocking and I stared freaking out....I go see the engine guy the rebuilt it and I'm ready to go off on him about what this noise was coming out of a 4000$ overhauled engine I paid for. He looks around and takes out a long wrench extension and starts listening to the engine like a doctor would do with a stethoscope. Turns out it was the mechanical fuel pump making all that knocking noise. I would of never guessed. Don't panic until you have answers. Could be something small and not expensive. Good luck.
That's what my uncle thought... so I got the fuel pump, and the oil pump replaced and its still doing it. Did you have to use a different kind of fuel pump?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

....also, this summer at one of our local car shows I get ready to leave the show and I hear another knocking noise, everyone there starts saying its internal engine noise and valves, rockers....blablabla. And all were so convinced of it and I insisted it was something else. Again it was a lever thats part of the clutch and needed adjustments. Go figure.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's what my uncle thought... so I got the fuel pump, and the oil pump replaced and its still doing it. Did you have to use a different kind of fuel pump?
No not really, just replaced for the same.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I just don't wanna pay like 700 bucks for my engine to get taken apart to find out its a 50 dollar job you know?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

So what my engine guy did. Get a long tool and place it on different areas of the engine. It works. You'll hear the difference immediately. At least you can pinpoint the problem to a certain extent.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just don't wanna pay like 700 bucks for my engine to get taken apart to find out its a 50 dollar job you know?
You ever change your oil to see if any shavings where in it?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You ever change your oil to see if any shavings where in it?
No I haven't. what would that mean if I do find shavings ?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No I haven't. what would that mean if I do find shavings ?
It would indicate bearings failing.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It would indicate bearings failing.
Would I have to get a new engine? That's like 900$ + 700$ for labor :/
Old 10-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Would I have to get a new engine? That's like 900$ + 700$ for labor :/
Wouldn't have to get a new one but it might be just as cheap to find one. I spun rod bearings in my car and it went from barely ticking to shutting off on me on my way to get oil to change it. Dropped the oil and had soft metal shavings in it. Took motor apart and barely anything left of the rod bearings. Mine is a modular 32v motor so it's cost me a lot of money fixing but now I know it's done and what problem was so should be good for along time again
Old 10-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wouldn't have to get a new one but it might be just as cheap to find one. I spun rod bearings in my car and it went from barely ticking to shutting off on me on my way to get oil to change it. Dropped the oil and had soft metal shavings in it. Took motor apart and barely anything left of the rod bearings. Mine is a modular 32v motor so it's cost me a lot of money fixing but now I know it's done and what problem was so should be good for along time again
The car did die on my while I was driving.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The car did die on my while I was driving.
Mine died and wouldn't start up again while it was hot and after cooled off started but the noise magnified dramasticely. Hope this helps you with info for your car but for sure drain the oil and check for metal in it
Old 10-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Mine died and wouldn't start up again while it was hot and after cooled off started but the noise magnified dramasticely. Hope this helps you with info for your car but for sure drain the oil and check for metal in it
Exactly what happened to mine. Word for word. What would be cheaper? A new (different) engine or fixing the problem?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Exactly what happened to mine. Word for word. What would be cheaper? A new (different) engine or fixing the problem?
Man to be completely honest I'm not sure on your motor mine was for sure to rebuild because the motors are expensive but yours I'd say both would be close in price. But don't quote me on that, after you figure out for sure what's wrong start a new thread saying what motor you are trying to get and from what I've seen on here somebody always knows something to tell you to help out.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Man to be completely honest I'm not sure on your motor mine was for sure to rebuild because the motors are expensive but yours I'd say both would be close in price. But don't quote me on that, after you figure out for sure what's wrong start a new thread saying what motor you are trying to get and from what I've seen on here somebody always knows something to tell you to help out.
Apparently my mechanic said most of the parts would be salvageable. He said my carburetor is worth like 2 times my motor.
Here's my engine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121014_165853.png
Views:	128
Size:	498.8 KB
ID:	72271

Thanks a lot for the advice it really does help. Haha I'm 16 and know very little about cars, any advice helps more than you know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs